So what I woke up too..

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 07:37 AM
LowNslowTL

Received 28 Likes on 28 Posts
Unhappy So what I woke up too..

How fantastic is this, ive read through the forums a bit about this problem, whats the best way to go through Acura about this. I figure ill have to contact the Acura customer service or something but any advise on here will help rather than reading through 800+ pages of the same problem. Advise needed. So stressed about this car, just spent 1300 bucks on timing belt/water pump service and lowering the car (looks great, only thing keeping me sane at this point) But i just cant catch a break. Car is approaching 166,000 miles.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:45 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
that looks like it cracked right on the side of the airbag location. almost perfectly lined up with the right hand side of the airbag.

go to acura and plead your case, state that is a safety issue because of the location of the crack. the mileage on your vehicle won't help your cause, but it's worth a shot.

and you're right...a lot of members have this issue. a buddy of mine just got his fixed for under $400 at the dealership. if you can't get anything worked out with them, a dash cover is your next move.

sorry bud.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:53 AM
LowNslowTL

Originally Posted by SharksBreath
that looks like it cracked right on the side of the airbag location. almost perfectly lined up with the right hand side of the airbag.

go to acura and plead your case, state that is a safety issue because of the location of the crack. the mileage on your vehicle won't help your cause, but it's worth a shot.

and you're right...a lot of members have this issue. a buddy of mine just got his fixed for under $400 at the dealership. if you can't get anything worked out with them, a dash cover is your next move.

sorry bud.
thanks i'll go ahead and see how they are going to try and screw me over, if they cant work something out ill try corporate and if that doesn't work then a dash cover it is! do you have a link where i can pick up a dash cover??
Old 02-18-2013, 07:56 AM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/dashboard-covers-material-suites-our-cars-best-827508/
Old 02-18-2013, 09:35 AM
Q('.')=O

Received 721 Likes on 521 Posts
lol, same exact spot as mine that showed up a few months ago.

Old 02-18-2013, 09:38 AM
LowNslowTL

did yours spread?
Old 02-18-2013, 10:13 AM
Q('.')=O

No. Still the same as it was. Has been there for a little over 4 months.

When I took it to my dealer last I asked them about it and they were 'clueless' like they had never heard of or seen it before .

I will ask them next time I take it in if they can do anything about it.
Old 02-18-2013, 10:20 AM
LowNslowTL

shit, im about to head up there, ill print off all 25 or so pages of peoples problems with this and show them its not a uncommon problem. lawsuit if need be, this is RIDICULOUS!!
Old 02-18-2013, 10:31 AM
Drifting

Received 404 Likes on 351 Posts
Report back if they fix it or not, id be interested on how they react and if they replace it.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:01 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 78 Likes on 61 Posts
I wanted dash cover, as an excuse to myself that dash will crack, but 07-08s crack less :/

i want dash cover. get it!

Originally Posted by nismopowerdqg
did yours spread?
Old 02-18-2013, 11:46 AM
LowNslowTL

ill report as soon as i go, i just printed off around 1000 pages, yes 1000!!! of people with this same problem. I HOPE they try and tell me its not a common problem, we will see who has the last laugh here.
The following users liked this post:
zachlone (02-18-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 12:46 PM
MMkay.

Received 188 Likes on 154 Posts
Whoa.in for results!
Old 02-18-2013, 03:28 PM
LowNslowTL

Update!!: so i went to crown acura in Richmond va and walked in with a good attitude and talked to the assistant service director named Chris, he said my car was way out of warranty (obvious) and didnt even bother to come look at the car! he just jotted down acura client services number and literally said good luck, nice enough guy but come on man..cant even take a look at it? so i got home and proceeded to call acura and they were awesome and very nice people, apologizing for my inconvinces and were kinda shocked the dealer didnt look at the car and start a claim. he took all my info down about my car and the crack and asked me all sorts of questions about my loyalty and said i qualify for a claim on good will or something along those lines. He then transferred me to a district claim manager or something (sorry there was a lot to the convo for me to remember everything) and she asked what my expectations were, and i told her it would be nice if i didnt pay anything but i didnt expect that it would be the case, but i told her if they paid 80% and i paid 20% i think i would be relativity satisfied. She wants me to take my car in to crown acura to get some pics taken and so they could inspect the car and that we would take it from there. i told her i didnt expect to pay for the inspection and she agreed but would get back to me by Wednesday. So i suspect i will have an update by then. Keep me in your prayers lol. Acura client services seems to really care about my case and handled it very professionally. Also, neither the dealer nor client services seemed in anyway shocked about this problem. Will keep yall posted!
Old 02-18-2013, 04:59 PM
Resident Dingo

Received 143 Likes on 113 Posts
Surprised they turned you away without much help when you printed over 1,000 pages from an online forum.

Did you print off this thread as well talking about a lawsuit if they don't help you, too? I'm sure that will help a lot as well.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:31 PM
LowNslowTL

Originally Posted by TheDingo
Surprised they turned you away without much help when you printed over 1,000 pages from an online forum.

Did you print off this thread as well talking about a lawsuit if they don't help you, too? I'm sure that will help a lot as well.
i dont want to bring up a law suit unless it is really nessisary, i dont want to come off like a prick but if they dont help me out i really dont see any other option. Just gotta keep my fingers crossed.
GKinColo08TL (02-18-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 06:40 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
there is a FB page on the cracked dash issue as well. just FYI.

good luck with the dealer and corporate.

just keep a cool head. this i the first dash crack i've heard/seen in VA. i think my own dealer has only seen one come in, but that car lived in FL i think.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:47 PM
Drifting

Received 604 Likes on 476 Posts

It is not surprising at all that the service manager didn't look at it, I'm sure he has seen it multiple times.

The threat of a lawsuit about a non safety issue on cars that are 7+ years old and way out of warranty will not scare a multibillion dollar company in the least. They would never lose such a lawsuit. The will be more worried about customer loyalty.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:47 PM
LowNslowTL

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl

just keep a cool head. this i the first dash crack i've heard/seen in VA. i think my own dealer has only seen one come in, but that car lived in FL i think.
yeah they said its mostly down south, but my car came from a south carolina dealer.
Old 02-18-2013, 06:54 PM
LowNslowTL

Originally Posted by GKinColo08TL
It is not surprising at all that the service manager didn't look at it, I'm sure he has seen it multiple times.

The threat of a lawsuit about a non safety issue on cars that are 7+ years old and way out of warranty will not scare a multibillion dollar company in the least. They would never lose such a lawsuit. The will be more worried about customer loyalty.
uh wrong..

1.) if Acura corporate said the dealer should of looked at it, they should of looked at it

2.) Ever heard of a class action law suit? with enough people its easy to prove that they have sold a defective product and they arnt taking the proper channels to resolve the issue. With the amount of people complaining and suffering with this particular issue it should be recalled. The law suit is already in the works apparently.. copied this from another thread.

"My name is Suzy from the law offices of Attorney Spencer Charif. Our office is in the process of submitting a lawsuit for Class Action Act regarding Acura-dashboard defect.

Please open the attached form (Word format) and fill out your personal information and fill out the questions in connection to your vehicle. Also, please provide any digital photographs and attach them to your form. Submit your form with any additional attachments by via E-mail or fax.

Should you have any additional questions you may contact me at the telephone number shown below or E-mail at: suzy@chariflaw.com.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

SUZY CAPRISTO

Legal Assistant to Spencer Charif, Esq.

Email: suzy@chariflaw.com"

Old 02-18-2013, 07:24 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

well, technically, the dash board crack is not considered a safety issue since it does not interfere with the operation of the passenger airbag if deployed in the event of an accident, hence no recall. just what i've read.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:35 PM
Resident Dingo

Received 143 Likes on 113 Posts
lol good luck with that class action lawsuit buddy.
Old 02-18-2013, 07:48 PM
LowNslowTL

lol good luck with that class action lawsuit buddy.
im not doing it lol just some stuff ive read that others are doing. Doesn't sound like a bad idea. But do recalls have to be safety orineted or could they be just for defective parts we have to fight to get this changed or people will just keep getting fucked over! Fight the good fight lol
Old 02-18-2013, 07:53 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

recalls are for safety only. defects or "fixes" for annoyances or common problem pop up as TSBs.
nismopowerdqg (02-18-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 07:56 PM
LowNslowTL

recalls are for safety only. defects or "fixes" for annoyances or common problem pop up as TSBs.
gotcha, thanks for clearing that up!
Old 02-19-2013, 07:37 AM
LowNslowTL

i joined that FB page, man people on there HATE acura lol!
Old 02-19-2013, 09:42 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^yeah i know. it's kind of petty in some ways over a cosmetic item. mechanically speaking honda/acuras are pretty solidly built for the most part. some people just aren't that objective when it comes to passing judgement on people or companies.

hopefully acura will help take care of you (something is better than nothing). of course, i hope you have some history with the dealer. this is where having the relationship helps, as much as people hate the dealer prices when it comes to service. i know my dealer relationship has helped me.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:48 AM
LowNslowTL

^^yeah i know. it's kind of petty in some ways over a cosmetic item. mechanically speaking honda/acuras are pretty solidly built for the most part. some people just aren't that objective when it comes to passing judgement on people or companies.

hopefully acura will help take care of you (something is better than nothing). of course, i hope you have some history with the dealer. this is where having the relationship helps, as much as people hate the dealer prices when it comes to service. i know my dealer relationship has helped me.
unfortunately i dont have much history with the dealer, i have owned 3 previous hondas before this, they seemed to like that
Old 02-19-2013, 09:56 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

well i've read of some dashcrack peeps on here that got goodwill from corporate and the dealer and they didn't have a relationship or history (or very little).

i guess it all depends. they may see you as a young owner and think...well if we help the guy out, then we may have a customer for life etc. i'd say get what you can from them.

my SA managed to get acura goodwill on replacing my squeaky master clutch cylinder at 50% considering i have low miles on my car. i was a little disapppointed (since i have a long standing relationsihp with my dealer, i bought two cars from them, and service BOTH of them with the same dealer). certainly it was worth a try, but i'll take what i can get. my SA was able to do what he could for me. the other thing that corporate asks is the history of the SA with the dealer and how many of these types of inquiries they make to corporate for goodwill. lots of factors come into play. it's like a cop giving out tix. sometimes it just depends on their mood.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:05 AM
Q('.')=O

I wonder if I will get any goodwill from my dealer. I bought my Integra from them and then my TL from them. I have taken it there for services every now and then over the 10+ years I have been dealing with them. But seeing how they were 'clueless' about the dash crack last time I took it there, I don't know. I guess it doesn't hurt to ask..
Old 02-19-2013, 10:12 AM
LowNslowTL

urgh this just stresses me out
Old 02-19-2013, 12:23 PM
LowNslowTL

contacted my local news about this problem, lets see what happens!
Old 02-19-2013, 12:34 PM
Q('.')=O

Doubt the news will do anything, unless 100 other people contact them about it.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:48 PM
LowNslowTL

Originally Posted by imj0257
Doubt the news will do anything, unless 100 other people contact them about it.
idk my local news is pretty good about taking on cases people bring to there attention. i am sure they will look into it and if they think they have something they will contact me, if not oh well, but no loss no gain, worth a try IMO
Old 02-19-2013, 02:38 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,007 Likes on 14,511 Posts
don't jump the gun, Nismo.

2 things, if I may. Focus on Acura. the Dealer's hands are tied...whether you pay or Acura pays, they'd love a $1500 job. They know that they aren't the ones to approve.

The whole going to media or lawsuit thing is only effective while it's still being talked about...if you go ahead and go straight to that, you can't really use it as a "bargaining chip" anymore since you already did it. Get me?

The dash crack that started isn't too bad yet, but that's how mine started, a week later it was both sides of airbag

I wouldn't be shocked if they come back at about 50% or 60...just be patient and nice with them. Let them know that if they do right by you you're likely to buy and continue to recommend Honda products etc. It's a loss prevention dance, really...mitigate lost sales for a grand.

Here's what mine looked like after a full year and a half...
WITH dashmat, which further tells you it's about the expansion etc...from hot/cold...since the sun never touched it again after.

nismopowerdqg (02-19-2013)
Old 02-19-2013, 02:58 PM
LowNslowTL

Originally Posted by rockstar143
don't jump the gun, Nismo.

2 things, if I may. Focus on Acura. the Dealer's hands are tied...whether you pay or Acura pays, they'd love a $1500 job. They know that they aren't the ones to approve.

The whole going to media or lawsuit thing is only effective while it's still being talked about...if you go ahead and go straight to that, you can't really use it as a "bargaining chip" anymore since you already did it. Get me?

The dash crack that started isn't too bad yet, but that's how mine started, a week later it was both sides of airbag

I wouldn't be shocked if they come back at about 50% or 60...just be patient and nice with them. Let them know that if they do right by you you're likely to buy and continue to recommend Honda products etc. It's a loss prevention dance, really...mitigate lost sales for a grand.

Here's what mine looked like after a full year and a half...
WITH dashmat, which further tells you it's about the expansion etc...from hot/cold...since the sun never touched it again after.

yep, i plan on taking your advise. I really hope they comp most of it, and it sounded like they were really going to do a lot for me considering ive owned 4 Honda/Acura cars. It just freaks me out that ill end up with a dash like yours (no offense ) haha and them not take care of it. Like i said before tho i was venting about the lawsuit im not going that route and it was something i had read others are doing. And the media is a contingency plan if they try to fuck me like they have some people that i have read about. But there all about loyalty and ive owned 4 Hondas, my aunt owned a couple and so has my brother so they liked that and im sure they dont want to loose my business. I will just let yall know what they come back and say to me. I havent spoken with anybody who works for the news, nor have i been rude in any way to Acura bc they have been great to work with SO FAR lol. lets just see what happens. I realllllly dont want to have to go dash mat route. urgh just want them to get back to me already lol
Old 02-19-2013, 03:46 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,007 Likes on 14,511 Posts
what you talking about? that's a customer fitted crinkle leather dash, i even paid extra for the "aged" look!
Old 02-19-2013, 04:10 PM
LowNslowTL

Originally Posted by rockstar143
what you talking about? that's a customer fitted crinkle leather dash, i even paid extra for the "aged" look!
hahaha right on!
Old 02-19-2013, 05:07 PM
Drifting

uh wrong..

1.) if Acura corporate said the dealer should of looked at it, they should of looked at it

2.) Ever heard of a class action law suit? with enough people its easy to prove that they have sold a defective product and they arnt taking the proper channels to resolve the issue. With the amount of people complaining and suffering with this particular issue it should be recalled. The law suit is already in the works apparently.. copied this from another thread.

"My name is Suzy from the law offices of Attorney Spencer Charif. Our office is in the process of submitting a lawsuit for Class Action Act regarding Acura-dashboard defect.

Please open the attached form (Word format) and fill out your personal information and fill out the questions in connection to your vehicle. Also, please provide any digital photographs and attach them to your form. Submit your form with any additional attachments by via E-mail or fax.

Should you have any additional questions you may contact me at the telephone number shown below or E-mail at: suzy@chariflaw.com.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

SUZY CAPRISTO

Legal Assistant to Spencer Charif, Esq.

Email: suzy@chariflaw.com"

Your opinion...Acura corporate may have wanted the dealer to look at it and possibly help the owner out...good customer service. My opinion, a class action lawsuit would not sway Acura. In a car this old you might get $100 out of a lawsuit. Again, 100 folks in the lawsuit, $100 each, 10 grand won't scare Honda/Acura.
Old 02-19-2013, 05:50 PM
LowNslowTL

Originally Posted by GKinColo08TL
Your opinion...Acura corporate may have wanted the dealer to look at it and possibly help the owner out...good customer service. My opinion, a class action lawsuit would not sway Acura. In a car this old you might get $100 out of a lawsuit. Again, 100 folks in the lawsuit, $100 each, 10 grand won't scare Honda/Acura.
"Acura corporate may have wanted the dealer to look at it and possibly help the owner out"

^thats what ive been saying the whole time.

IM NOT SUING ANYBODY!!! lol jesus christ.
Old 02-19-2013, 06:03 PM
Drifting

"Acura corporate may have wanted the dealer to look at it and possibly help the owner out"

^thats what ive been saying the whole time.

IM NOT SUING ANYBODY!!! lol jesus christ.
I know that's what you were saying, and I agree...I also understand you're not suing anyone...just responded to what you said about the lawsuit.
nismopowerdqg (02-19-2013)

Quick Reply: So what I woke up too..