So...anyone else's TL NOT blowing warm air?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 01:45 PM
Registered Bike Offender

Received 843 Likes on 625 Posts
Probs air mix issue. Run the diagnostic procedure posted above and see if you have any DTC on the climate control system
Old 11-04-2015, 01:49 PM
Instructor

Received 39 Likes on 35 Posts
Yes, there is a good thread on here about how to fix it. I read it this time last year because mine only gets hot once you crank it up to 85+ then back down. Still haven't fixed mine....It is a sticky controller on the drivers side by your knees. I've tried to find the DIY but no luck, maybe someone else remembers it too.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:16 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
i had the same issue on the passenger side, air was ice cold until 80+ degrees. i did a walk through on how to get to the passenger side air mix motor in this thread:

click this --> https://acurazine.com/forums/problem...-thing-899287/

BUT, i didn't actually "fix/adjust" the part the others were trying to explain to me (so ignore the last steps where i pointlessly cleaned the wrong contacts). - aka, read entire thread anyways.

but, opening the air mix motor, moving stuff around, and closing it back up still fixed the issue anyways!

i dont know exactly how to get to the driver side off the top of my head, but if you need i can look up the procedure in the service manual. i can also give you a link to my box account if you want the service manual (i had to break it up into 2 PDF files).
The following users liked this post:
djbonsu (11-05-2015)
Old 11-05-2015, 09:10 AM
"Like None Other"

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by carlosriosness
i had the same issue on the passenger side, air was ice cold until 80+ degrees. i did a walk through on how to get to the passenger side air mix motor in this thread:

click this --> https://acurazine.com/forums/problem...-thing-899287/

BUT, i didn't actually "fix/adjust" the part the others were trying to explain to me (so ignore the last steps where i pointlessly cleaned the wrong contacts). - aka, read entire thread anyways.

but, opening the air mix motor, moving stuff around, and closing it back up still fixed the issue anyways!

i dont know exactly how to get to the driver side off the top of my head, but if you need i can look up the procedure in the service manual. i can also give you a link to my box account if you want the service manual (i had to break it up into 2 PDF files).
Awesome info! Thanks Carlos. Definitely an annoying thing considering winter is right around the corner too. All I did was change the heater valve and that cause this issue to arise? But, Yes if you could provide a link to the service manual that would be greatly appreciated!
Old 11-05-2015, 09:30 AM
Registered Bike Offender

Received 843 Likes on 625 Posts
Do this first:

Originally Posted by Project_CLean
I don't know if this will help but worth a shot for some of you, there was a thread on this a while back, where i listed these same codes, but i can't seem to find it.

THESE, are all trouble codes with the Climate control system. To get into troubleshoot mode, you have to :
1)Turn ignition switch ON
2) Hold the OFF button on the Climate Control Panel
3) *WHILE HOLDING THE OFF BUTTON*: Press the "Recirculation" button 5 times within 10 seconds.
4)This should begin the diagnostic,and the temperature settings will light up determining if there is something wrong: (see attached pictures).
5)Depending on the section lit up, there's a letter assigned to each section, so using the list below,you can determine what is wrong.

DTC (Temperature Indicator Segment)
Detection Item
A
An open in the in-car temperature sensor circuit
B
A short in the in-car temperature sensor circuit
C
An open in the outside air temperature sensor circuit
D
A short in the outside air temperature sensor circuit
E
An open in the sunlight sensor circuit
F
A short in the sunlight sensor circuit
G
An open in the evaporator temperature sensor circuit
H
A short in the evaporator temperature sensor circuit
I
An open in the driver's air mix control motor circuit
J
A short in the driver's air mix control motor circuit
K
A problem in the driver's air mix control linkage, door, or motor
L
An open in the passenger's air mix control motor circuit
M
A short in the passenger's air mix control motor circuit
N
A problem in the passenger's air mix control linkage, door, or motor
O
An open or short in the driver's mode control motor circuit
P
A problem in the driver's mode control linkage, doors, or motor
Q
An open or short in the passenger's mode control motor circuit
R
A problem in the passenger's mode control linkage, doors, or motor
S
A problem in the blower motor circuit
djbonsu (11-05-2015)
Old 11-05-2015, 09:48 AM
"Like None Other"

Originally Posted by Vlad_Type_S
Do this first:
Thanks! That was first on my list!
Old 11-05-2015, 11:37 PM
b15
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
It's the air mix motor. It spins a gear that makes contact with a circuit board. Over time the contacts on the gear get caked in grease so the system can't properly read where the mix door really is. I did the diagnostic on mine and it did not throw any codes, because the motors still worked, just not correctly. You should get heat well before reaching 'hi' and mine did not. I had to crank it to hi for heat then back it down to a comfortable temp. Then If I tried raising the temp again, there would be no change until I got to 'hi' again, which then it would be full blast hot.

You can replace or just remove the motor, disassemble, clean the contacts and reassemble. I did this to both my driver and passenger side mix motors and both work flawlessly again. I get heat properly when adjusting the temp up and down.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:58 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by djbonsu
Awesome info! Thanks Carlos. Definitely an annoying thing considering winter is right around the corner too. All I did was change the heater valve and that cause this issue to arise? But, Yes if you could provide a link to the service manual that would be greatly appreciated!
https://app.box.com/2004AcuraTLServiceManual

uploading right now! technically this is for the 2004, but 95% of the diagrams are the same.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:00 AM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by b15
I did the diagnostic on mine and it did not throw any codes, because the motors still worked, just not correctly. You should get heat well before reaching 'hi' and mine did not. I had to crank it to hi for heat then back it down to a comfortable temp. Then If I tried raising the temp again, there would be no change until I got to 'hi' again, which then it would be full blast hot.
This pretty much describes the behavior on my '05. There is very little in between on the temps for cooling or heating. To get it to change much, I have to hit 'Lo' or 'Hi' for the initial temp swing, then adjust from there manually. I need to set aside the time to take it apart and clean it.
djbonsu (11-06-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 11:32 AM
Advanced

i forgot to mention.

passenger side air mix motor is section 21-69. to do the passenger side you need to do the following sections first (or they at least help to look at).
glove box: section 20-85
throttle actuator: section 11-216
climate control unit: section 21-73

driver side air mix motor replacement: section 21-68 (right side of page). it says you will need to do the following first.
drivers dash removal: 20-82 (right side of page)
djbonsu (11-06-2015)
Old 11-06-2015, 11:41 AM
"Like None Other"

Originally Posted by carlosriosness
i forgot to mention.

passenger side air mix motor is section 21-69. to do the passenger side you need to do the following sections first (or they at least help to look at).
glove box: section 20-85
throttle actuator: section 11-216
climate control unit: section 21-73

driver side air mix motor replacement: section 21-68 (right side of page). it says you will need to do the following first.
drivers dash removal: 20-82 (right side of page)

Got it! Thanks for the info! Much appreciated ....now to find time to dig into this matter...
Old 11-06-2015, 05:45 PM
b15
Racer

Originally Posted by Jackass
This pretty much describes the behavior on my '05. There is very little in between on the temps for cooling or heating. To get it to change much, I have to hit 'Lo' or 'Hi' for the initial temp swing, then adjust from there manually. I need to set aside the time to take it apart and clean it.
Worth a shot before shelling out $130 per motor. When you take it apart you'll see Honda was very generous with the grease. I cleaned up the contacts and pcb with electronic cleaner and reassembled with no additional grease on the gears. Works like a charm.
Old 11-06-2015, 11:14 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by b15
Worth a shot before shelling out $130 per motor. When you take it apart you'll see Honda was very generous with the grease. I cleaned up the contacts and pcb with electronic cleaner and reassembled with no additional grease on the gears. Works like a charm.
That is my plan...someday....I have the electronic cleaner already from a 70's console stereo project...but lack the motivation to sit in the garage and take my car apart.

I drive the wife's car most days and she is stuck with mine (the beater) since she commutes to work. Until she complains enough, I probably won't be motivated enough to take things apart.
Old 11-08-2015, 12:10 PM
b15
Racer

Originally Posted by Jackass
That is my plan...someday....I have the electronic cleaner already from a 70's console stereo project...but lack the motivation to sit in the garage and take my car apart.

I drive the wife's car most days and she is stuck with mine (the beater) since she commutes to work. Until she complains enough, I probably won't be motivated enough to take things apart.

This is also my winter beater. Wish my heated seats worked but I don't care enough to fix the element. Good thing these cars heat up quickly!
Old 11-17-2018, 09:10 AM
Drifting

So roughly three years later, I am finally getting back to this. I replaced my amplifier, so while I was already up under the dash, I decided to take a look around.

1.) I have very little warm or cool. I have ice cold or blazing hot. To make the temp swing, I have to go all HI or all LOW and then back off from there.
2.) HVAC Self-Diagnostics reports no issues
3.) HCV appears to be moving freely and isn't leaking
4.) Laying on the floor looking up under the dash, it appears both blend/mix doors are moving freely
- I can see them move in small increments with each push of the button
- Coming from HI, they start to move right at 76
- This is testing while car is cold sitting in a 45 degree garage with the vehicle off

So with the common culprits out of the way, what is next?

How do I test the interior temp sensor? I few quick google searches didn't find the thread I am looking for. I remember one on here where it included the details on how to test with a multi-meter. Kept pulling up coolant temp or exterior temp sensors instead.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:48 PM
Drifting

Bueller....Bueller....Anyone?
Old 11-26-2018, 07:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 489 Likes on 373 Posts
Service manual is your best friend:

Is temperature adjustment not working for both passenger and driver vents? You know that driver's blend door motor is on the driver side of the car, right?
Old 11-26-2018, 08:17 PM
Drifting

I just found my copy of the FSM as well.

I just tested the temp sensor and it appears to be fine. It was reading around 2400 ohms just after I brought it into the house which should be somewhere around 68-70F. I then hit it with a hair dryer for a few seconds and the resistance dropped to 1200 ohms.

Next is the sensor states from the next page...will get that shortly.

My temp adjustments have been odd for years. Back when this first started, it was anytime you turned on dual, the temps got all wacky between the two sides. Hot on the driver side and cold on the passenger side. So we stopped using DUAL many years ago and it was fine. A few years ago, the temp control became more and more moody no matter what side of the car.

As for the driver's blend door motor...yes...while I was up under the passenger side working on the amp replacement, I checked the passenger motor and then went to the driver side to do the same. From what I can tell, all of the motor assemblies are working as expected.
Old 11-26-2018, 09:41 PM
Drifting

Just ran the sensor check while sitting the cold garage.

Ran through them twice over the course of about 2 minutes. Easy to see the car was slowly warming up. Each temp reading is C/F.

1 13/55 14/57 -- In-Car Temp, expected, sitting in a cold garage
2 12/54 12/54 -- Ambient Temp, expected, sitting in a cold garage
3 01 01 -- Solar Radiation Sensor, expected, sitting in a dimly lit garage
4 50/122 60/140 -- Engine Coolant Temp, expected, idling for just a couple minutes in the cold garage (garage door open...22F outside, 43F in garage)
5 16/61 15/59 -- I guess expected? Coolant not quite hot, and ambient temps fairly low.
6 94 94 --
7 96 96 --
8 00 00 -- Expected, parked.
9 74/165 71/160

The only one that really stands out is #9. How is it possible to have a Vent Temp Air Out that is hotter than the coolant or ambient air? I am not seeing any other reference of where this reading is coming from???
Old 11-27-2018, 11:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 489 Likes on 373 Posts
1. There is only one temperature sensor inside the car (which is kinda weird - passenger temperature must be calculated / estimated, as car doesn't measure it).

As far as I know, TAO (#9) is like a "target temperature" - meaning system wants air to have this temperature in order to cool/warm up interior. So because your interior is cold, car wants to have 74C at the output to warm in up fast.

I went through the same test to compare your values to my car
- car cold sitting overnight in 20F, all sensors make sense, #6 and #7 at ~95%, #9 at 201F (kinda hot, right?)
- car warm after ~30 min drive in 24F outside, engine just turned off, all sensors make sense, #6 and #7 at ~65%, #9 at 114F

So the good news are everything looks ok, bad news is that we still have no idea what's wrong with your car.

2. Measure the air temperature, instead of going by the feel.

I know that my AC seemed weak all the time, and after chasing leaks and determining that system is ok, I tinted my windows with decent tint. Now, in the summer, temperature is set to 72F and I have no problems, while back then I was running on LOW all the time.

3. No idea where to go from here. I would probably take apart the box or use camera (if possible) to make sure that blend door moves and seals (not that motors move).

4. Also check how values change when car is warmed up.

Last edited by peter6; 11-27-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old 12-22-2018, 11:41 PM
Drifting

Since I am not the primary driver of my car, I haven't been in it enough to make any other observations until this past week when my wife finally started driving her car again. At the moment, my HVAC seems to be working fine??? I wonder if the interior temp sensor was either dirty or the connection was bad? I still haven't spent more than 20 minutes in the car at a time, but I did notice that with it on AUTO at 72 degrees, I was quite comfortable driving around instead of still getting baked like it used to do.

As for taking apart the blend boxes? Not likely I will take that on anytime soon.....unless the behavior gets way worse. We have one kid finishing up daycare next summer heading to Kindergarten, so in theory that frees up funds to finally buy a new car.....maybe.....then again I have been talking about a new car for 5+ years now.