Notices

Smoke coming out of the front grill after a car wash!!?! WTF

 
Old 01-20-2013, 01:30 PM
  #1  
BrownBuck
Thread Starter
 
BrownBuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 182
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Angry Smoke coming out of the front grill after a car wash!!?! WTF

I know most of you do NOT use touchless/railess/automatic car washes here....but this one is awesome!(nothing touches my car but water/soap and liquid wax or whatever they use)...i've used it a few times before but never when it's this cold out(it's 30ish today) but my car looked so horrible from the salt n ish that i couldn't stand looking at it..

Anyways! i went through the wash and when i was exiting i noticed there was white smoke coming out of my front grill! i freaked out and pulled over right away and popped the hood. It looked like the smoke was coming from directly in the front(radiator?) behind the grill and it was white...it wasn't too bad and went away in matter of seconds...i have no clue what caused it? like i said i've been through it before and nothing like this has happened.

I feel retarded starting this thread...and hope it's nothing more then some water that got onto the radiator or something hot under the hood that caused this...but it's never happened before! so i was wondering if anyone else had this happen?
BrownBuck is offline  
Old 01-20-2013, 01:39 PM
  #2  
Your Friendly Canadian
 
Aman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Age: 26
Posts: 16,767
Received 1,041 Likes on 801 Posts
I dunno, I think touchless washes are an awesome option for getting rid of all the winter gunk when it's too cold outside to wash it.

Anyways, this happened to both my Accord and the Jetta. I just figured it was just from water hitting hot stuff under the hood. Never worried about it.
Aman is offline  
Old 01-20-2013, 01:54 PM
  #3  
Registered Member
iTrader: (1)
 
HEAVY_RL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: RVa
Age: 39
Posts: 6,988
Received 982 Likes on 801 Posts
:inb4ramblings:
HEAVY_RL is offline  
Old 01-20-2013, 03:04 PM
  #4  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Pa
Posts: 294
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by BrownBuck View Post
I know most of you do NOT use touchless/railess/automatic car washes here....but this one is awesome!(nothing touches my car but water/soap and liquid wax or whatever they use)...i've used it a few times before but never when it's this cold out(it's 30ish today) but my car looked so horrible from the salt n ish that i couldn't stand looking at it..

Anyways! i went through the wash and when i was exiting i noticed there was white smoke coming out of my front grill! i freaked out and pulled over right away and popped the hood. It looked like the smoke was coming from directly in the front(radiator?) behind the grill and it was white...it wasn't too bad and went away in matter of seconds...i have no clue what caused it? like i said i've been through it before and nothing like this has happened.

I feel retardeeed starting this thread...and hope it's nothing more then some water that got onto the radiator or something hot under the hood that caused this...but it's never happened before! so i was wondering if anyone else had this happen?
You can't be serious are you? Your curious as to why there is steam coming out of the front of your car on a 30 degree day right after you just got your car washed by a high pressure water system that sprays directly into everywhere? There is no way you can be serious. It must be April fools day.
supraru is offline  
Old 01-21-2013, 05:52 AM
  #5  
BrownBuck
Thread Starter
 
BrownBuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 182
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by supraru View Post
You can't be serious are you? Your curious as to why there is steam coming out of the front of your car on a 30 degree day right after you just got your car washed by a high pressure water system that sprays directly into everywhere? There is no way you can be serious. It must be April fools day.
no i'm serious....guess im paranoid...i mostly freaked out cuz it's never done that before....i've been there several times in cold weather...but not THIS cold...anyways...she looks good for a automatic carwash!

Thanks guys...i had couple of days to think about it and do feel like this thread was not warranted lol....might have freaked out too much when it happened and it took me couple of days to think about it properly.
BrownBuck is offline  
Old 01-21-2013, 06:36 PM
  #6  
Registered Member
 
Renescent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Age: 49
Posts: 139
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I also use one of these places and I love it in the winter. Typically, if you pay for the full service treatment, you get the under-car blast as you're going in to the bay. This, along with the high power pressure wash blasting straight into your grill will cause steam as the engine boils off the water as you exit.
Renescent is offline  
Old 01-21-2013, 07:46 PM
  #7  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 51
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by supraru View Post
You can't be serious are you? Your curious as to why there is steam coming out of the front of your car on a 30 degree day right after you just got your car washed by a high pressure water system that sprays directly into everywhere? There is no way you can be serious. It must be April fools day.
Well that was a nice way to call the OP an idiot. Not cool.

But it does sound like just steam. I use automatic car washes a lot too but haven't had any issues with that. Glad you got it figured out!
SycoCell121 is offline  
Old 01-22-2013, 06:06 PM
  #8  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1,119
Received 75 Likes on 59 Posts
when you pee @ 0, the urinal steams too.

it's just water
4drviper is offline  
Old 01-22-2013, 10:02 PM
  #9  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Columbus Ohio
Age: 41
Posts: 24
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by supraru View Post
You can't be serious are you? Your curious as to why there is steam coming out of the front of your car on a 30 degree day right after you just got your car washed by a high pressure water system that sprays directly into everywhere? There is no way you can be serious. It must be April fools day.
Your are on a role here aren't you? Comments like this is exactly why people come at you the way they do. The guy had a legit concern, this is why he posted it. Sorry for this jackass, he's a Subaru mechanic on an Acura forum....
getnbze is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 04:40 AM
  #10  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Pa
Posts: 294
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by getnbze View Post
Your are on a role here aren't you? Comments like this is exactly why people come at you the way they do. The guy had a legit concern, this is why he posted it. Sorry for this jackass, he's a Subaru mechanic on an Acura forum....
Actually there is no room for someone who fraudulently pretends to know things. I guess I should be flattered that you're still upset from the last time I owned you to track me down in other threads. I'm sorry I am not gay. Find someone else to have a crush on.
supraru is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 05:55 AM
  #11  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Columbus Ohio
Age: 41
Posts: 24
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by supraru View Post
Actually there is no room for someone who fraudulently pretends to know things. I guess I should be flattered that you're still upset from the last time I owned you to track me down in other threads. I'm sorry I am not gay. Find someone else to have a crush on.
Pretend? no. Flattered? no. Gay? no. Again, you cant possibly think you comment to this guy on his post was ok, do you? I'm curious as to where the gay jokes come from...
getnbze is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 07:28 AM
  #12  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Pa
Posts: 294
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by getnbze View Post
Pretend? no. Flattered? no. Gay? no. Again, you cant possibly think you comment to this guy on his post was ok, do you? I'm curious as to where the gay jokes come from...
I can only assume you have a crush on me since you're following my posts. Nothing wrong with it, I just don't go that way.

Nothing is wrong with my post. It's a very simple concept to grasp for anyone who has ever pissed outside when its cold out. Hot engine parts+water=steam. If you can't take people's responses don't post in the first place.
supraru is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 07:48 AM
  #13  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Columbus Ohio
Age: 41
Posts: 24
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Trust me, I'm not following your posts. I came across his post and was curious to see what his issue was. Just keep in mind what seems very simple to you may not be to someone else. Just throwing this out there, Not everyone on these forums are mechanically inclined and actually look to forums for help.
getnbze is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 08:22 AM
  #14  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Pa
Posts: 294
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by getnbze View Post
Trust me, I'm not following your posts. I came across his post and was curious to see what his issue was. Just keep in mind what seems very simple to you may not be to someone else. Just throwing this out there, Not everyone on these forums are mechanically inclined and actually look to forums for help.
You sure you aren't? Seems you have a hard on just for arguing.

It has nothing to do with being mechanically inclined, it something you learn in elementary school.

So please explain it to me because now I'm confused and don't know how to act. So people here look for help and you are saying I should be nice and help him. But in the other thread I was very nice to the op in trying to help him as much as I possibly could on a forum and I got blasted by people who don't do what I do every day. So please enlighten me how should I act here? Either way I go about it you complain or someone has something to say. Sounds to me like you and most people on this board are hypocrites and just argue because they are unhappy with thier lives.
supraru is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 12:03 PM
  #15  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Columbus Ohio
Age: 41
Posts: 24
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by supraru View Post
You sure you aren't? Seems you have a hard on just for arguing.

It has nothing to do with being mechanically inclined, it something you learn in elementary school.

So please explain it to me because now I'm confused and don't know how to act. So people here look for help and you are saying I should be nice and help him. But in the other thread I was very nice to the op in trying to help him as much as I possibly could on a forum and I got blasted by people who don't do what I do every day. So please enlighten me how should I act here? Either way I go about it you complain or someone has something to say. Sounds to me like you and most people on this board are hypocrites and just argue because they are unhappy with thier lives.
I'm not complaining. The issue in the other thread was that when someone else would comment, you began to argue with them and act as though because you do it for a living that your info is better than anyone elses. This is not me cutting you down or arguing, this was my opinion when I was setting back watching. Keep in mind that just because you have some knowledge and do it for a living that there are others here also. You have even questioned my experience many times which you are free to, but I too have been around the block a few times. If this will put your mind to ease, I am Master ASE Certified with L1 and have been for last 15yrs. Toyota Master Certified, Kia Master Certified, Currently working on Hyundai Master Certified. I also have an Associates in Automotive, and a Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering. And for the performance side of things I have a Mustang that I built from the ground up that runs DEEP in the 9's and will hook in a car wash. So you are not the only one on this forum that has some knowledge. My advice to you is that the next time someone posts a help thread that you think is Retarded. Either post a simple fix or don't post at all. This will certainly stop people bashing your comments. Hope this helps you out some buddy
getnbze is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 01:36 PM
  #16  
Your Friendly Canadian
 
Aman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Toronto, Ontario
Age: 26
Posts: 16,767
Received 1,041 Likes on 801 Posts
I'd suggest taking it to PMs before a mod comes in...
Aman is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 01:51 PM
  #17  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Pa
Posts: 294
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by getnbze View Post
I'm not complaining. The issue in the other thread was that when someone else would comment, you began to argue with them and act as though because you do it for a living that your info is better than anyone elses. This is not me cutting you down or arguing, this was my opinion when I was setting back watching. Keep in mind that just because you have some knowledge and do it for a living that there are others here also. You have even questioned my experience many times which you are free to, but I too have been around the block a few times. If this will put your mind to ease, I am Master ASE Certified with L1 and have been for last 15yrs. Toyota Master Certified, Kia Master Certified, Currently working on Hyundai Master Certified. I also have an Associates in Automotive, and a Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering. And for the performance side of things I have a Mustang that I built from the ground up that runs DEEP in the 9's and will hook in a car wash. So you are not the only one on this forum that has some knowledge. My advice to you is that the next time someone posts a help thread that you think is Retarded. Either post a simple fix or don't post at all. This will certainly stop people bashing your comments. Hope this helps you out some buddy
Dude at least seperate that into a couple paragraphs. You're making my head hurt. Yeah man we're all ase master techs on the Internet. My acura runs 9's too on street tires. You should take your own advice about not posting at all and learn how to read. Sorry if I post something helpful and people have to try and discredit you when they are the ones with out any skills. Not going to let people get away with it. Just how I am deal with it or don't post.
supraru is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 02:07 PM
  #18  
Registered Member
iTrader: (1)
 
HEAVY_RL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: RVa
Age: 39
Posts: 6,988
Received 982 Likes on 801 Posts
Originally Posted by Aman View Post
I'd suggest taking it to PMs before a mod comes in...

Agreed, cause this thread is completely off topic.
HEAVY_RL is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 02:28 PM
  #19  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Columbus Ohio
Age: 41
Posts: 24
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its done
getnbze is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 02:46 PM
  #20  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Pa
Posts: 294
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Worried about a stalker so I ignored him. Carry on with figuring out where the steam is coming from.

supraru is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 02:54 PM
  #21  
BANNED
iTrader: (33)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: baltimore
Age: 33
Posts: 10,058
Received 2,877 Likes on 1,781 Posts
Originally Posted by getnbze View Post
its done
it's finished.

the turkey is done.
SharksBreath is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 05:55 PM
  #22  
Registered Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Columbus Ohio
Age: 41
Posts: 24
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SharksBreath View Post
it's finished.

the turkey is done.
getnbze is offline  
The following users liked this post:
bluetl04 (01-23-2013)
Old 01-23-2013, 05:59 PM
  #23  
Registered Member
iTrader: (1)
 
HEAVY_RL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: RVa
Age: 39
Posts: 6,988
Received 982 Likes on 801 Posts
got him LoL
HEAVY_RL is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 08:23 PM
  #24  
Registered Member
iTrader: (8)
 
EvilVirus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Houston
Posts: 4,136
Received 1,075 Likes on 855 Posts
cant we all just get along ;(

but no homo

Anyway, OP no offense but use common sense. 30* outside, wash your car thru a drive in wash, engine is hot, so yes you will see steam come out of it. Nothing to freak out about unless its acting funny.........is it?
EvilVirus is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 08:39 PM
  #25  
Registered Member
iTrader: (1)
 
i_love_cars's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hartland, WI
Age: 36
Posts: 1,119
Received 564 Likes on 302 Posts
Originally Posted by supraru View Post
Worried about a stalker so I ignored him. Carry on with figuring out where the steam is coming from.

obviously photoshop
i_love_cars is offline  
Old 01-23-2013, 09:31 PM
  #26  
Registered Member
iTrader: (4)
 
bluetl04's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Age: 35
Posts: 1,148
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts
Op, nothing to worry about. That's just the water from the cold weather. Don't be afraid to ask questions about something that you may not know. You learn something new everyday. As for that supraru dude, just ignore him. He is a ignorant dude. He was acting like a smartass in one of my threads as well. You will see a few of those on this site.
bluetl04 is offline  
Old 12-09-2018, 06:31 PM
  #27  
New Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Age: 33
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BrownBuck View Post
I know most of you do NOT use touchless/railess/automatic car washes here....but this one is awesome!(nothing touches my car but water/soap and liquid wax or whatever they use)...i've used it a few times before but never when it's this cold out(it's 30ish today) but my car looked so horrible from the salt n ish that i couldn't stand looking at it..

Anyways! i went through the wash and when i was exiting i noticed there was white smoke coming out of my front grill! i freaked out and pulled over right away and popped the hood. It looked like the smoke was coming from directly in the front(radiator?) behind the grill and it was white...it wasn't too bad and went away in matter of seconds...i have no clue what caused it? like i said i've been through it before and nothing like this has happened.

I feel retarded starting this thread...and hope it's nothing more then some water that got onto the radiator or something hot under the hood that caused this...but it's never happened before! so i was wondering if anyone else had this happen?
Yes I just had this happen to me and I'm freaking out because I just purchased my car Friday, and it wasn't washed and I decided to take it to wash it and it is about 28 degrees out and as soon as I exited the carwash it starting smoking from the grill area really bad and smells aweful, but I am scared with it being so cold it may have busted something but their was no fluids leaking from the bottom of my car so idk, but I immediately called the carlot I bought it from and he said the same thing just happened to him about a week ago and that it is nothing serious, but I'm still freaking out hoping I didn't damage anything.
Tiona Orellana is offline  
 
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
james357
Car Parts for Sale
19
02-13-2016 02:37 PM
handsom-hustla
Car Parts for Sale
70
11-13-2015 05:04 PM
nanos
Car Parts for Sale
26
11-12-2015 08:41 PM
ptbarnett
Third Generation RLX (2013+)
4
08-30-2015 12:39 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Smoke coming out of the front grill after a car wash!!?! WTF


Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.