Slow acceleration for 2004 Acura TL 6 Speed-MT

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 06:23 AM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
ry, can you set up a cam in your car so that we can watch you shift and power through 4k RPM?

cuz they way you explain, you are babying the car!
the power band is beyond 4000 RPM! this means to get ANY kind of acceleration, you need to drop gears to get the RPM into the 5000 range and beyond! fucking hit red line! at red line is where we make the most power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yes, 5th gear at 80 you're under 3k RPM. NO WHERE NEAR the power!
Old 05-13-2016, 05:27 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah it's not grinding it's more of the aburpt feeling you stated.
Old 05-31-2016, 01:57 PM
Advanced

Okay so Sunday night I pretty much drove my car all day and on the way how driving in 6th gear I noticed my VSA, triangle VSA and check engine light all came on. I didn't notice this until I was on the freeway. I could also feel a bit of some jerking while in 6th gear. I downshifted to 5th gear and couldn't catch acceleration which also stopped at 4RPMs... so I read and searched on this form and saw that it is the or could be the App sensor. I had to park my car and turn off the engine for a bit and then started her back up. CEL was still on but VSA and Triangle VSA light went off. I was able to make it back home but felt a bit of jerking still. So back to the original post can anyone suggest it's the APP sensor that went out? I'm about to pick one up and install it myself. could the throttle position sensor have anything to do with this issue?
Old 05-31-2016, 01:59 PM

ahhh, so if you cant accelerate past 4k, then something is wrong...

throughout your whole thread, you could never tell us at what RPM you're at, thus we couldnt give you a correct answer.

yes, if you cannot pass 4k, its either low oil or APP sensor.
Check oil level first.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:00 PM
Advanced

sorry about not setting up the cam I haven't been up on here for a bit but last sunday I think the APP sensor went or is going our for sure not since I couldn't get past 4 RPM and I realize I was babying the car regards to the power bend. I stated dropping down to 3rd and hitting it harder but the post above makes me feel it was my APP sensor the whole time that caused the jerking in lower gears.
Old 05-31-2016, 02:01 PM

quoted for the fucking truth!

Originally Posted by Jackass
Is this your first M/T car? Very few cars accelerate fast in the top gears. If you are cruising at 70mph, drop it into 3rd, hammer it down, and it will have plenty of go.

When on the Interstate, I rarely ever downshift out of 6th unless I come up on an extremely steep hill. Otherwise there is usually plenty of power to maneuver around and pass while casually driving.

If you have any type of jerking, stuttering, or anything else not "smooth"....you have other issues to resolve still.

"Usually" with a bad APP sensor, it comes down to one of the following symptoms:
- engine won't rev past a certain RPM
- throttle response is jerky as can be (usually in a specific range on the pedal)
- CEL is being thrown
we had already covered your symptoms....
Old 05-31-2016, 02:22 PM
Advanced

haha thanks Space! yeah I feel like crap for letting my oil level get low to 40% but I would never have though that could name the acceleration not get passed a certain RPM. could low oil levels also make the VSA and CEL come on? I actually never thought of that. My fault for not giving an accurate answer as well it's just the RPM's seem to be working fine haha so I couldn't really explain what was happening. Also what does it mean when "CEL is being thrown" is that referring to the CEL coming on and off? that was a good post by the Jack haha
Old 05-31-2016, 02:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,754 Likes on 6,751 Posts
LOL another guy low on oil?!

at least you weren't as much of a dick as the last dude OP!
Old 05-31-2016, 02:52 PM

Originally Posted by RysTL04
haha thanks Space! yeah I feel like crap for letting my oil level get low to 40% but I would never have though that could name the acceleration not get passed a certain RPM. could low oil levels also make the VSA and CEL come on? I actually never thought of that. My fault for not giving an accurate answer as well it's just the RPM's seem to be working fine haha so I couldn't really explain what was happening. Also what does it mean when "CEL is being thrown" is that referring to the CEL coming on and off? that was a good post by the Jack haha
oil life expectancy is not the same thing as oil level.

oil life expectancy can be found on the on board computer. and will give a percentage of remaining life left. thats what that 40% indicates.

the computer, however, does not know the oil level.
you need to physically check by opening the hood and pulling the engine oil dipstick and reading the oil level

the check engine light is a key or a clue to why your car might be running poor.
you will need to get the car scanned by an OBDII reader. you can get it scanned for free at autozone. this clue will tell you whats wrong with your car
Old 05-31-2016, 04:11 PM
Advanced

haha i'm open to all options here just to get my car running again. I can't see how someone can be a dick about getting input here haha

thanks Space. I'll look into the oil level when I get home today.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:22 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,754 Likes on 6,751 Posts
Originally Posted by RysTL04
haha i'm open to all options here just to get my car running again. I can't see how someone can be a dick about getting input here haha

thanks Space. I'll look into the oil level when I get home today.
you and the rest of us (logical) people.

I think he's overcompensating for something

good luck with your issue, hope it's something silly!
The following users liked this post:
RysTL04 (05-31-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 06:31 AM

interested if OP had his check engine light scanned and if he inspected oil level.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:17 AM
Intermediate

i know this is a crazy idea are you sure your clutch is not slipping ? this will cause sluggish acceleration. the rpm's will raise and not go anywhere very quickly
The following users liked this post:
RysTL04 (06-13-2016)
Old 06-13-2016, 09:47 AM
Advanced

i'm not sure anymore the only thing I can think of is the APP sensor... or is it possible for the throttle cable strech out? I checked the oil level which was pretty full last week but ended up changing the oil out and also tightened up the throttle cable connected to the APP sensor with was pretty lose which is why I asked if it can be streched out? I also thought about the Clutch slipping... I'm the third owner and I feel like the clutch might be going out. Would the clutch cause sluggish acceleration in first gear? this is a new issue that came up just this weekend. everything seemed fine after changing oil and tightening throttle cable. however now after first start up the car takes forever to take off in first gear. It'll start off very sluggish and then proceeds to drive as normal. makes sense what you brought up Stegey.
Old 06-13-2016, 05:38 PM
Intermediate

there is an old saying with the acronyms. KISS , keep it simple stupid. it is very easy to overthink cars now days , i do it myself and i hv been working on them almost 30yrs , more times then not it is something simple , like a worn out clutch disc. it may just be starting to go out , eventually it will get to the point that it will not go anywhere, first and reverse will be the hardest to get into because they are non syncronized.

i doubt its an app problem , fly by wire systems are very redundant as far as checking themselves and their was a problem i think you would have a check engine light on , and it would go to limp in or fail safe mode.