sloshing/splashing noise from engine bay. sounds like water in the engine. sound clip

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 01:53 AM
18psi

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
sloshing/splashing noise from engine bay. sounds like water in the engine. sound clip

I just noticed this noise last night. 5 days ago I changed my oil to redline 5w-30 from mobile 1 5w-20. After a day the engine was purring and sounded perfect.

Last night I went for a car wash and when I got out of the car after the wash, I noticed this strange noise coming from the engine bay. It sounds like there is water in the engine and its splashing/sloshing around.

I still have the stock airbox but I removed most of the piping and the resonator. It basically looks like this. I also cut out the plastic behind the lower grills.

I drove home (4 miles) and I opened the airbox to check if the filter or the inside of the airbox was wet but it was bone dry.

I know this sound clip sucks but its the best I could do. You can hear every other second the sound changes. I drove the car today about 60 miles and it drives fine. It also started up perfect each time. Any ideas?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJuNOrxyrEo

Its an 04 5AT. I had the timing belt service done 1k miles ago. Im at 107k miles now. Ive never heard this noise until last night. I was thinking that this noise could be the chirping noise others were experiencing but I heard the noise from the video on the TSB and it doesn't sound like what my car is doing
Old 12-23-2009, 06:25 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Does the noise go away after awhile? Could be air in your engine cooling system.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:53 AM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
This is my guess...

Check if you have water standing in the cowl area. See this thread linked below for details. Your drain holes in the cowling may have become blocked.

Dead animal in AC / Heating vents, HELP! (click here)
Old 12-23-2009, 08:09 AM
Safety Car

Received 481 Likes on 290 Posts
BTW - I meant to say this....... to see if water is in this "Grand Canyon" area.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:27 AM
18psi

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts
the noise does not go away after a while. it seems to only start making the noise after the car is warm. i started the car this morning and there was no noise. after my 30 mile drive to work, the noise was there. i hear it mainly at idle. when i rev the engine in neutral, it goes away.

there is no water in that area. the noise is definetely coming from the engine since it goes away when i rev the engine. i cant hear it when im driving either.

any chance its the oil? i want to drain the oil and refill it it 5w20 to see what happens but redline is damn expensive lol
Old 11-20-2019, 06:11 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Water noise I had the same problem on a 2015 TLX V6 All wheel drive

Originally Posted by libert69
I just noticed this noise last night. 5 days ago I changed my oil to redline 5w-30 from mobile 1 5w-20. After a d
ay the engine was purring and sounded perfect.

Last night I went for a car wash and when I got out of the car after the wash, I noticed this strange noise coming from the engine bay. It sounds like there is water in the engine and its splashing/sloshing around.

I still have the stock airbox but I removed most of the piping and the resonator. It basically looks like this. I also cut out the plastic behind the lower grills.

I drove home (4 miles) and I opened the airbox to check if the filter or the inside of the airbox was wet but it was bone dry.

I know this sound clip sucks but its the best I could do. You can hear every other second the sound changes. I drove the car today about 60 miles and it drives fine. It also started up perfect each time. Any ideas?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJuNOrxyrEo

Its an 04 5AT. I had the timing belt service done 1k miles ago. Im at 107k miles now. Ive never heard this noise until last night. I was thinking that this noise could be the chirping noise others were experiencing but I heard the noise from the video on the TSB and it doesn't sound like what my car is doing
I had to same problem to after investigating at the dealership for about four hours we found out that the AC drain is clogged with dirt and debris would not let the water out from AC the swishing noise
Is water buildup in the trim unclog the AC hole let water out had About half a cup in there all good now though Acura is the best