Side mirror - partially reversed operation

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2016, 09:34 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Side mirror - partially reversed operation

I've done some research and didn't find this problem. Passenger side mirror goes up and down properly with the reverse tilt. However, the left and right is backwards. Hit right, it goes left and visa-versa.

Not a big deal EXCEPT when you put in the memory settings and move the mirror left/right at all. Then it hunts in the wrong direction until it hits the end of travel and clicks from there.

Where would I hunt to find the spot where things are likely reversed (I'm guessing a swapped plug?)? Or did the previous owner replace a passenger actuator with a drivers side actuator?

Not a major annoyance, but once that is likely easily fixed. Thoughts?
Old 05-21-2016, 12:37 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally figured out a way to fix this one. I don't know how it originally happened, but my best guess is an earlier owner replaced a side view mirror and wired it wrong or used a driver side harness for a passenger side mirror (the mirror would move properly if it had happened to be the driver mirror instead of passenger).

I took the mirror glass off, see other how tos for how to do this. Removed the actuator motor, and removed the power harness (the larger plug with four wires, each labeled A, B, C and D). The big connector drives the motors with +12/gnd connections. They go hot when you want the mirror to move. One pair is left/right, the other is up/down.

The smaller plug helps to gauge the actual position of the mirror itself. Disconnect this mainly so the actuator doesn't hang on the small clip.

Open up the harness itself by removing the four small clips (it folds over in half). Once the harness is open, you can push the metal wires out.

I reversed the C and D wire to reverse the left/right operation which flipped the input polarity to the motor and reversed the direction it spun for a given input. Basically, it used to go right and should have gone left, now it goes left when it should go left.

A and B would reverse the control for up/down. These just driver two small hobby motors which are attached to worm gears which drive small plastic pistons in and out. The other two pistons (there are four total) handle the resistive position sensors.

I've got a couple pics if anyone is interested. It's a fairly rare problem, so I doubt it will much matter.

Last edited by Stickey; 05-21-2016 at 12:40 PM.
Old 05-21-2016, 12:50 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 20,015 Likes on 14,518 Posts
You know...I had a problem with mine, and once I greased and eventually swapped out actuators, it went away.

Odd.
Thanks for coming back to share, at least. You're a rare breed these days.