shaking at higher speeds

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 11:24 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
shaking at higher speeds

Hello guys,
I just bought an acura Tl 04' from the local dealership back on Jan.16th (DROVE SOO SMOOTHLY). Sometime mid Feb. i got stuck in snow and i was jerking the car to get out, and i noticed something seemed to be rubbing in the front end of the car. I didn't worry much about it since i thought it would be snow. About a week to two later, when i was droppin my g/f off at her work, i noticed slight shaking in the steering wheel just begun. so I said ok. this is new. i kept driving and the shaking gotten worse, so i decided to drive straight to the Honda dealership where i bought it from. on my way there, the shaking became so severe and loud cluncking as sounds of machine gun. at this point i was about 2-3 kms away from the dealership. I got there and they said, it was loose lug nuts at the driver front wheel. so they checked the front suspension and all, they said it was ok. No report was printed and given to me like when you do maintaince. They torqued the the loose wheel and off i go, I drove out of the dealership, i noticed minimal barely noticed shaking in the steering wheel. I am like didn't drive like this before. so I went back and they said, probably threw off a wheel balance. so booked an appointment to have the wheel balance done. a week later, wheel balance done they gave me a report b/c i asked for one and the report said. "wheel balance done, road test done, and minial shaking noticed, nature of BFgoodrich tires. I was ok, i went home and started searching and asking my friends that have hondas/acuras, they said it is posssible that something got damaged. I since Feb. 28th. i have been going back and forth with a total of 8x so far. they rotated front to back to see to eliminate the problem. but still woudln't. I noticed the steering wheel vibrating at about 110km, a little in the seat since i guesss the problem now is in the back. but the steering wheel remain to shake.
I am hopin someone that is knwowledgeable about acura tl 3gen. or similar problem. could driving the 4km damaged the rim. suspsension/leg nuts, busted threads bent something. I don't feel safe in the car, it doesn't feel stable when i attempt to pass trucks on the highway.
sorry for typing so much. just trying to give a complete picture.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:32 AM
Race Director

Received 277 Likes on 161 Posts
Hey, welcome to Azine, and sorry to hear about your problem...

Now, can you tell us at what speeds do you experience the shaking? Is it jerking left to right? or just a strong vibration? How does a car behave when you slow to a stop? When you accelerate do you feel any strong pulls towards a side? How's the alignment on the car? Did they raise the car to see if everything was ok and not bent?

Once we'll get a clear picture of when exactly you are experience the shaking, we'll go from there..it could be numerous things.....
Old 05-08-2008, 11:41 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 392 Likes on 202 Posts
It could be many things, but I have a feeling it may have to do with your alignment. One of the characteristics on a FWD car with "toe-in" misalignment (the front of the tires pointing towards eachother) is a shaking of the wheel due to heavy grazing of the tire on the road surface laterally from side to side. even if only off by 1/8 of an inch, every mile you travel 1 mile is like scraping the tire across the ground about 30 times. You may not notice any wear issues yet, but over many liles this causes a wear pattern of the tread much like a saw tooth evenly across the entire surface which can amplify the issue more. I just corrected this problem on my 3G TL and the vibration issues have gone away. I would say that yes, a loose rim could definetely thrown the alighment of, especially if it was wobbling a moderate amount.

I'd definately get a 4-wheel alignment done and if it occurred as suddenly as you say, I would have the dealer pay for it since they failed to tighten the rim.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:45 AM
10th Gear

thanks for the warm welcoming,
at above 60km/h, i can feel something in the steering wheel, but not compared to minimal, Now if i reached 110km/h then i can see my steering wheel vibrating and the car doesn't feel stable at all. stoping/accelerating deosn't shake the car no pull either. They told me the alignment and suspension are good, the car doesn't pull to the left or right. it goes straight. but it doesn't feel stable on the road at higher speeds. someone told me the rim might be damaged from the lug nut issue coming loose and driving the 4km to dealership. Dealership tells me its my tires. bran new tires installed by the dealership bfgoodrich traction before pick date on Jan.16.
Old 05-08-2008, 11:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

heres what the dealer did to my car when I had a vibration issue...They put a brand new set of rims/tires from a 2008 TL to see if the issue was still present. I'd say definately do that first!
Old 05-08-2008, 11:54 AM
10th Gear

did the vibration go away?
Old 05-08-2008, 11:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

In that particular instance yes, because my rim was bent.
Old 05-08-2008, 12:03 PM
10th Gear

from a loose lug nut?
Old 05-08-2008, 12:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by abdel
from a loose lug nut?
Nope, a pothole
Old 05-08-2008, 01:51 PM
10th Gear

I just called Honda again and they believe that this is caused by my tires and they gonna replace 2tires. after waiting more than 2 months to fix this problem, I am cannot grasp the fact b/c of a loose lug nuts and wabbling around tire/two tires get damaged. I am not sure what to do b/c i waited too long now. any advice. thanks
Old 05-08-2008, 02:29 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by abdel
I just called Honda again and they believe that this is caused by my tires and they gonna replace 2tires. after waiting more than 2 months to fix this problem, I am cannot grasp the fact b/c of a loose lug nuts and wabbling around tire/two tires get damaged. I am not sure what to do b/c i waited too long now. any advice. thanks

I think that what is going to give you the most difinitive direction to follow is to have the dealer slap on 4 all new rims/tires from another TL. That tells you if its suspension related or not. BAM. end of story.