Shaking during acceleration - Solution

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 11:37 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shaking during acceleration - Solution

Here's the latest update on what is causing the car to shake (vibrate) while accelerating between 60-80mph.

I've spent countless days off from work and $ to get this solved since the dealers in southern Ca have zero clue of what the problem is and are not helpful. Plus my car is out of warranty period so each diagnostic from dealer costs $120.

Things I have done as a troubleshooting measure on what could cause the problem (in exact order).

1) changed coil-over suspensions back to stock (Tein Basic -> Type S)
2) rotate wheels (Volks 19s) several times (recommended by dealer)
3) bought new tires and balance (recommended by dealer)
4) aligned the car 4 times
5) changed 6MT tranny fluid
6) changed front brake pads and resurface fronts (brembos)
7) rebuild front axles twice ****This was the solution.

Apparantly, Acura messed up by building a car with axles that prematurely wears out. Since my car is 72K miles, I don't have any grounds to claim any warranty work or reimbursements for this.

However, all you that have this shaking problem should fight Acura and make sure they man up to the poor quality parts they elected to install on our cars.

Keep in mind, I noticed a slight shaking at 25K miles, but assumed it's from running 19s low profiles with Teins. The problem got worst as the mileage increased. At 55K is when I 1st brought it into the dealer.

I trolled this forum (thank you all for feedbacks) and finally decided to do my own troubleshooting. The axles were my last resort before I dump the car and get something more reliable. So at 70K, is when I got the 1st axle rebuild. That made the shaking less. At 72K miles is when I had the axle rebuilt again. This finally fixed the shaking.
Old 05-09-2008, 12:02 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
I would have- as mentioned often on this subject by many of us-
get new axles assemblies to cure shake on acelleration-
I know gen2 are avail at NAPA for 75 bucks each- gen 3 I cant say

Its also well known that lowering the car will change the angle of the dangle on the cv axle bearings- no warranty on them if lowered car- and one can expect that cv wear is part of the deal in modifying a car height.
The parts used may be cheap (ok WILL BE) and they meet the requirements for standard use. Change from stock and things will wear out.

Imagine what a turbo will do to a stock engine-!!!!