Seat heater light bulb

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 07:27 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Seat heater light bulb

my passenger side heated seat light is out when i turn on the car the passenger side seat warmer button doesnt light up but when i turn it to high or low the orange light DOES glow...how can i fix this
Old 12-18-2011, 08:53 PM
Resident Dingo

Received 143 Likes on 113 Posts
Start by cleaning out your center console, then remove the rubber insert in the bottom and unscrew the two screws...

Next, remove the silver trim pieces. Use the butter knife to pry under the trim piece starting at the end near the center console and work your way up, gently prying. I found that taking the butter knife and wrapping a rag around the end prevented scratches and knicks in the trim. I would insert the knife under the trim then slowely rotate the blade from hor. to vert. and the trim would pop up. When you get to the top of the trim, there are clips holding it in place. Grasp the trim at the curve (right next to the accessory doors) and gently pull away. The clips will pop right out.

Once the trim is off, unscrew the 6 small screw that were underneath the trim. This picture shows the 4 that hold the center tray on, but there are two more behind it that hold the console in place. Once you unscrew the ones holding the console, you will need to slide the console to the rear about 6-8 inches. There is still some crap holding the center console so you can not remove it completely, but you can easily slide it back out of the way.

Next, remove the screws that hold on the cup holder piece. There should be 4 screws. Once you get those off, remove the cup holders, do not yank them out because there is a connector underneath that needs to be disconnected before it is completely removed.

Once you've done that, you'll see (look at the bottom of this pic) the heated seat switches and their connectors.

The easiest way to do it from here is peel that white tape stuff back (on the switch, above the connector) (you can see it in this picture above the white print on the switch) and then you will see the bulbs. Use a flat head screwdriver or your fingernail to unscrew it (counter clockwise) about 90 degrees and it will be loose.. then just pry out the old bulb. Install new bulb in opposite order. Make sure you press that white tape stuff back over the lights after you have completed the install.

hope this helps.. i borrowed some txt and pics from another thread, but you get the idea.
The following 8 users liked this post by TheDingo:
bauglir (08-25-2013), davidbclark3 (10-13-2012), FOXfoto (12-19-2011), Healingduck (10-16-2012), jxroyce (11-09-2019), Red89gt (08-22-2013), Renescent (11-02-2012), TerpNation (10-29-2012) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-13-2012, 09:23 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With your post's help I just completed this task. The only trouble I had occurred when the trim would not separate from the top and I did not want to force it to break. Overall, thanks for the steps!
Old 10-13-2012, 11:27 PM
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
got the same issue with my driver side. do you guys know what the part number for these bulbs are or if I even need an acura part
Old 10-15-2012, 07:28 AM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by italiancip14
got the same issue with my driver side. do you guys know what the part number for these bulbs are or if I even need an acura part
YES - You can use a Honda p/n from the Accord. Last winter I ended up doing both the L and R seat heater switches. I only needed to do the main lights (blue/green) as my orange lights for the hi/low were fine. Since I have an 05, I just looked up the switches in a 2005 Accord and used that part.

The Honda bulb is a tad cheaper than the Acura but the Honda dealer is many, many, miles closer to my home. I think the Honda bulb is a slightly different color/brightness so I did both at the same time. They are not close enough to any other switches that you would ever notice any color difference but I did notice the brightness difference after doing only one switch so I did both. Beware they are pesky little buggers and you can easily drop them into the abyss so placing whatever you can (shop towel, small plastic container, etc.) in the innards of the disassembled center console is advised

Links
"SWITCH" diagram from an 05 Accord V6 EX
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/...atcgry5=SWITCH
Pretty sure you want #9, 35852-SDA-A01 BULB (14V 40MA)

Here's the link to the Acura "SWITCH" sheet (2005)
http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no
Item # 19 35852-SEP-A02 BULB (14V 40MA)
Old 10-19-2012, 05:59 AM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
my drivers side is also burned out, not the round orange on-light, just the switch illumination, when you have the lights on. will do soon!! nice write up guise!!
Old 10-29-2012, 01:23 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,651 Likes on 1,116 Posts
For type S it's part 17:

http://www.acuraoemparts.com/delray/...All&vinsrch=no

$3.58, but get it locally because of the shipping and handling fees.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:18 AM
I mod my car in

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey guys,
i know this thread is about the seat heater light bulb but i cannot find a thread about the heater itself. Does anyone know what would cause the passenger heater to go out? The drivers side works fine but the passenger does not work at all however the bulbs do light up. I was thinking easiest thing to do first is try swapping the switches to see if the switch is the issue. Any other suggestions? Actually i don't know if swapping the switch would even work because they are different part numbers. Any help is appreciated.
Old 11-02-2012, 10:46 AM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
Originally Posted by 04_6SPEEDTL
Hey guys,
i know this thread is about the seat heater light bulb but i cannot find a thread about the heater itself. Does anyone know what would cause the passenger heater to go out? The drivers side works fine but the passenger does not work at all however the bulbs do light up. I was thinking easiest thing to do first is try swapping the switches to see if the switch is the issue. Any other suggestions? Actually i don't know if swapping the switch would even work because they are different part numbers. Any help is appreciated.
You do know that the passenger seat only heats the seat bottom, correct? There is no heat in the passenger seat back...

Also, someone will need to sit in the seat to feel the heat.
Old 11-02-2012, 09:58 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
the seat heater also burns out. The wires sometime split inside the heater pad itself. To fix that, you need to remove the seat cover and replace the heatiing pad or you can try to solder it back yourself if you are that savvy. Tech savvy, I meant. Not that you are not Savvy. LOL!
Old 11-04-2012, 05:11 PM
Cruisin'

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
good write up.
Old 08-22-2013, 05:13 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You guys rule, old thread but a good one.
Looked down last night to see my heated seat switch wasn't working on my 08 TL.
Just ordered p/n 35852-SEP-A02 for dealer stick up, I mean pick up tomorrow, $4.48 + tax. From other posts looks like this won't be the last one I change out.
Have 75k on the car, need to get another 100k
Old 01-07-2015, 09:29 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok, this looks pretty easy and I need to replace my heater seat illumination bulb, but while I am in there I want to replace the shifter light (park, reverse, neutral, drive) that is out. What is the next step for pulling off the "woodllike plastic trim" surrounding the shifter. I know it is under that of course. I am sure that I could figure this out by trial and error, but I don't want to take apart anything I don't need to. I have found in the past, that all of this plastic trim is not very forgiving if you think something should pull right off and there is some hidden screw in there you have missed.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:48 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Just an update...I used this video:
and found it handy to get a feel for what to do. My driver seat warmer lights were all out and 2 of the 3 on the passenger side. I went and installed LEDs instead of the regular factory bulbs...and decided to make it interesting an use a blue LED for the low settings and a red LED for the high setting. They were appropriately bright after taking the car for a drive tonight.
And while I took apart the trim and center console, I was able to fix my cup holder lid (that breaks like everyone elses). What was hard was getting the original bulb out of the socket of the heater switch b/c of the angle...they didn't just "pop" out after you unscrew them. I ended up getting a plain old pin and fishing them out...not fancy but that did the job. (sticky tape and needle nosed pliers didn't work either).
Old 04-09-2018, 10:08 AM
Intermediate

Bulbs?

Originally Posted by USNA93
Just an update...I used this video: https://youtu.be/bf3vTNknSvI and found it handy to get a feel for what to do. My driver seat warmer lights were all out and 2 of the 3 on the passenger side. I went and installed LEDs instead of the regular factory bulbs...and decided to make it interesting an use a blue LED for the low settings and a red LED for the high setting. They were appropriately bright after taking the car for a drive tonight.
And while I took apart the trim and center console, I was able to fix my cup holder lid (that breaks like everyone elses). What was hard was getting the original bulb out of the socket of the heater switch b/c of the angle...they didn't just "pop" out after you unscrew them. I ended up getting a plain old pin and fishing them out...not fancy but that did the job. (sticky tape and needle nosed pliers didn't work either).
Where did you get the colored LED bulbs? Part number?
Old 04-09-2018, 03:29 PM

Received 152 Likes on 99 Posts
T3 neo wedge SMD LEDs are available in various colors pretty much anywhere you look.
Old 10-29-2019, 04:08 AM
10th Gear

Watch my video on YouTube

[QUOTE=krink1490;13429364]my passenger side heated seat light is out when i turn on the car the passenger side seat warmer button doesnt light up but when i turn it to high or low the orange light DOES glow...how can i fix
YouTube - Acura TL wedge bulb replacement by adrian Cruz
Old 10-29-2019, 04:09 AM
10th Gear