Rough Idle

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2014, 11:22 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rough Idle

Hey guys,

My 05 has developed a very rough idle, dropping anywhere from 800-500 rpm when warm. Any idea of what could be the cause of this? Is there any way to manually make it idle high?

I don't think it's vacuum hoses, due to no loss of power when I take off, but when I am trying to take off it struggles a lot.

Thanks!
Old 06-21-2014, 11:25 AM
9th Gear

Forgot to mention- No codes are being thrown!
Old 06-21-2014, 12:27 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
Did you check to see if your #5 spark plug is lose?
Old 06-21-2014, 12:41 PM
Safety Car

Received 946 Likes on 650 Posts
Way too difficult for any of us to help based on the info given. Since its not throwing codes that just makes it even more difficult.
Pretty much any sensor can cause the issues you described. Whats the mileage on the car? Maybe start with the easy and cheap fixes that are worth it regardless if they fix the problem. Changing the plugs on the TL is pretty simple. If you are somewhat familiar with doing some work on your car you should be able to tackle that.
Unbolt your IAT sensor and clean it gently with some alcohol and a q-tip. Make sure you have a clean and newer air filter. Next fillup be sure to fill using premium fuel from a QUALITY gas station if you don't already. I typically use Shell in my car.
You can also reset the computer by disconnecting your battery terminals for a while. Not that any of this will fix the problem, but its a good start to be sure the car is running in its tip top shape.
The APP sensor is also a issue on some older TL's as well. They have been known to start to fail without throwing engine codes. Those are also pretty simple to change.

Goodluck

Last edited by JTS97Z28; 06-21-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:04 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by JTS97Z28
Way too difficult for any of us to help based on the info given. Since its not throwing codes that just makes it even more difficult.
Pretty much any sensor can cause the issues you described. Whats the mileage on the car? Maybe start with the easy and cheap fixes that are worth it regardless if they fix the problem. Changing the plugs on the TL is pretty simple. If you are somewhat familiar with doing some work on your car you should be able to tackle that.
Unbolt your IAT sensor and clean it gently with some alcohol and a q-tip. Make sure you have a clean and newer air filter. Next fillup be sure to fill using premium fuel from a QUALITY gas station if you don't already. I typically use Shell in my car.
You can also reset the computer by disconnecting your battery terminals for a while. Not that any of this will fix the problem, but its a good start to be sure the car is running in its tip top shape.
The APP sensor is also a issue on some older TL's as well. They have been known to start to fail without throwing engine codes. Those are also pretty simple to change.

Goodluck
Sorry I couldn't really give much more information, I am on a journey to get a bit more handy when it comes to this car lol.

I have 123xxx miles on it and I have changed the plugs and belts etc at 107k. The sensors on the other hand, I have not. I will check those out whenever I have the time today.

Thank you!!