Rock Chip on Windshield Grows into a Massive Crack!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 03:21 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rock Chip on Windshield Grows into a Massive Crack!

My wife was driving our 2 month old TL on the freeway last Friday and a van kicked a small rock up. It hit the windshield VERY hard and left a small chip. When she got home and I looked at it, I thought, "no big deal, we'll go to one of those repair places and have it fixed". Well nothing was open on the weekends so I knew we'd have to wait until Monday.

On Saturday the weather was very hot. We went out to the car in the early afternoon to go somewhere, and I nearly cr*pped my pants as I noticed a 1-foot long curved crack running out from the rock chip. Well, there goes the plan of getting it repaired! We're talking a new windshield now! We proceeded to drive off and do our errands. Over the course of the day that crack grew another foot, and made several twists and turns along the way. I've NEVER seen a crack grow that fast. We did not expose the glass to any rapid temperature changes, but the hot weather must have expanded the glass and the crack as well.

There was a moment where my wife and I were sitting in the car looking at this long, curving crack, and she said "Wow, it looks like the big question mark on Lost! I wonder what it means??" Just then the "Ok" button on the nav disclaimer screen came up, and I dutifully pressed it as I always do when I start the car. I feel like a slave to that damn button!

Anyway, all kidding aside, the cracked windshield sucks royally for such a new car. At least our insurance will cover it. Otherwise we'd be out $700!! This glass is expensive to replace. Our repair shop warned us to ALWAYS go for the factory glass, not some generic, becuase the factory glass fits better and has a special acoustic layer inside.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:45 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
the crack in my windshield looks like a question mark also
Old 06-05-2006, 06:04 PM
Senior Moderator
Regions Leader

Received 205 Likes on 128 Posts
Damn 700 bucks? Sorry redman, well at least its covered...

I cringe every time i hear something hit my windshield..
Old 06-05-2006, 08:47 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by redman042
My wife was driving our 2 month old TL on the freeway last Friday and a van kicked a small rock up. It hit the windshield VERY hard and left a small chip. When she got home and I looked at it, I thought, "no big deal, we'll go to one of those repair places and have it fixed". Well nothing was open on the weekends so I knew we'd have to wait until Monday.

On Saturday the weather was very hot. We went out to the car in the early afternoon to go somewhere, and I nearly cr*pped my pants as I noticed a 1-foot long curved crack running out from the rock chip. Well, there goes the plan of getting it repaired! We're talking a new windshield now! We proceeded to drive off and do our errands. Over the course of the day that crack grew another foot, and made several twists and turns along the way. I've NEVER seen a crack grow that fast. We did not expose the glass to any rapid temperature changes, but the hot weather must have expanded the glass and the crack as well.

There was a moment where my wife and I were sitting in the car looking at this long, curving crack, and she said "Wow, it looks like the big question mark on Lost! I wonder what it means??" Just then the "Ok" button on the nav disclaimer screen came up, and I dutifully pressed it as I always do when I start the car. I feel like a slave to that damn button!

Anyway, all kidding aside, the cracked windshield sucks royally for such a new car. At least our insurance will cover it. Otherwise we'd be out $700!! This glass is expensive to replace. Our repair shop warned us to ALWAYS go for the factory glass, not some generic, becuase the factory glass fits better and has a special acoustic layer inside.
I got after-market glass from saftlite for my TL and I am glad I did. It still has the acoustic layer and I am convinced that it is five times stronger. I had that original windshield repaired at least 5 times. Even the smallest impact would leave a chip. Since the new Atfer market windshield I have had things hit that I thought would leave a chip for sure, but knock on wood, this windshield is still flawless.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:40 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You had the windshield replace 5x times..... do you drive through hailstorms as a hobby?
Old 06-06-2006, 12:52 PM
One on the right for me

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by bhelsdon
I got after-market glass from saftlite for my TL and I am glad I did. It still has the acoustic layer and I am convinced that it is five times stronger. I had that original windshield repaired at least 5 times. Even the smallest impact would leave a chip. Since the new Atfer market windshield I have had things hit that I thought would leave a chip for sure, but knock on wood, this windshield is still flawless.

Good to know. Hopefully my windshield claim is eventually worked out and I go aftermarket. I have 4 chips and a big ass crack in my windshield right now...kind of pathetic how easily it chips.
Old 06-06-2006, 04:50 PM
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dooley
You had the windshield replace 5x times..... do you drive through hailstorms as a hobby?
No, I had five stone chips repaired.