Right front wheel wobbles only on acceleration. Have exhausted all known remedies...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 11:33 AM
:what:

Received 348 Likes on 249 Posts
Right front wheel wobbles only on acceleration. Have exhausted all known remedies...

I've searched high and low. I've done everything that others have done to remedy a similar problem with on their cars.

Here is the issue. It doesnt matter what speed I'm going. If I apply throttle, the right front wheel will shimmy/wobble. The harder I accelerate, the worse it is. At wide open throttle, the steering wheel is shaking pretty bad and spare change in my cup holder is bouncing. Cruising, at any speed, is smooth as silk. It started about a year ago and has gotten progressively worse. Car is an 04/ Auto on Tein Basis. When it started, the car was tucking tire. I thought the height may have been the issue so I raised it some and aligned it. It still continued to get worse.

Here is a list of what I have done to try to fix it: (no particular order)

1) rotated tires...no change
2) balanced tires...no change
3) new tires...no change
4) new (not reman) CV axle...no change
5) new motor mounts (all 3)...no change
6) new compliance bushings...no change
7) alignments on a few occasions...no change
8) New adjustable upper ball joints...no change
9) Raised car 3 different times (higher each time) and alignment after each lift...no change.
10) Checked wheel bearings. They are nice, tight, and quiet.

I just don't know what to do next. I'm all out of ideas.

Any suggestions or similar experiences would be helpful.
Old 01-22-2015, 04:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Hows the front compliance bushing? If it's happening on acceleration only that leads me to believe it's the axles. Did you use OEM axles?
Old 01-23-2015, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by csmeance
Hows the front compliance bushing? If it's happening on acceleration only that leads me to believe it's the axles. Did you use OEM axles?
As stated above, the compliance bushings are new. The axle is not OE, but is a new unit and not a junk reman unit.
Old 01-23-2015, 07:51 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Wheel bearing?
Old 01-23-2015, 07:52 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
and hi wacker!
Old 01-23-2015, 08:49 AM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Based on the description of your problem, it still appears to be a possible issue with a CV axle or wheel bearing. Are you certain its your right front wheel? Could it really be the left front?

Have you jacked up the front of your car and checked both front wheels and axles for any abnormal axial and radial play?
Old 01-23-2015, 10:22 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by AMTMJ
Based on the description of your problem, it still appears to be a possible issue with a CV axle or wheel bearing. Are you certain its your right front wheel? Could it really be the left front?

Have you jacked up the front of your car and checked both front wheels and axles for any abnormal axial and radial play?
quite a few members have had horrible experience with aftermarket axles, what brand was it?
Old 01-23-2015, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by AMTMJ

Yes, I checked for play in the wheel bearings. See #10 in my first post. Axle feels solid....as did the axle that came off the car. I find it hard to believe that (if the axle is the problem) swapping to a new axle (from one with 210,000 miles on it) nets in the exact same symptom. No changes whatsoever.

I have even gone as far as jacking the front of the car up and videoing the different components in motion. I jammed on the brakes and put the car in reverse and drive with throttle to put pressure on things and videoed all the bushings and ball joints. They all looked great. The only movement is out of the compliance bushings. They are supposed to move and one doesn't move any more than the other.

I am absasmurfly positive that it is the right front. If I turn traction control off so the wheel will spin, it will almost hop. Very pronounced on wet streets.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by justnspace
and hi wacker!
Old 01-23-2015, 12:10 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 509 Likes on 323 Posts
I am highly suspect of the axle. TSX article but applies to TL the same way.

https://www.heeltoeauto.com/news/04-...and-fixed.html
The following users liked this post:
Wacker (01-23-2015)
Old 01-23-2015, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by MrHeeltoe
I am highly suspect of the axle. TSX article but applies to TL the same way.

https://www.heeltoeauto.com/news/04-...and-fixed.html

Very interesting. I still have my stock axle. I will pull it apart and see what I find. If I see the mentioned damage, I will be ordering the innner joint kit. I used EMPI axles to replace the original.

I went ahead and ordered all three transmission mounts. After seeing the condition of the motor mounts, it cant hurt.
Old 01-23-2015, 03:19 PM

No such luck. Inside of inner cup was pristine. No wear whatsoever....anywhere.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:00 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
Drive train or mounts. Did you check the intermediate shaft bearing?

Had an '04 GTI (V6 6 Spd) that the dealer couldn't figure out a vibration issue. Turned out they installed a wrong axle and it had 1 broken mount as well as one mount that was actually bent, replaced all, no more vibrations.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Turbonut
Drive train or mounts.
You really think? That really narrows it down...

Did you check the intermediate shaft bearing?
I checked the intermediate shaft bearing while I was replacing the right axle. It was in good shape.

Had an '04 GTI (V6 6 Spd) that the dealer couldn't figure out a vibration issue. Turned out they installed a wrong axle and it had 1 broken mount as well as one mount that was actually bent, replaced all, no more vibrations.
As laid out in my original post. All motor mounts have been changed. Recently...like last week.... I ordered the trans mounts to change for 'shits n giggles' even though I cant see that being the problem as the issue is on the other side of the car.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:44 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
Originally Posted by Wacker
You really think? That really narrows it down...

I checked the intermediate shaft bearing while I was replacing the right axle. It was in good shape.

As laid out in my original post. All motor mounts have been changed. Recently...like last week.... I ordered the trans mounts to change for 'shits n giggles' even though I cant see that being the problem as the issue is on the other side of the car.
Doesn't matter what side of the car it's on, a worn or damaged mount can change the drive line angle regardless of the side. Maybe this narrows it down.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:52 PM
Former Sponsor

Very interesting. I still have my stock axle. I will pull it apart and see what I find. If I see the mentioned damage, I will be ordering the innner joint kit. I used EMPI axles to replace the original.

I went ahead and ordered all three transmission mounts. After seeing the condition of the motor mounts, it cant hurt.

EMPI, and every other new replacement axle, have been problematic on TSXs. We don't trust them any more.

Although your findings curiously lead away from axles. Perplexing...
Old 01-23-2015, 08:36 PM

Doesn't matter what side of the car it's on, a worn or damaged mount can change the drive line angle regardless of the side. Maybe this narrows it down.
Will find out sometime next week when the parts get here.

EMPI, and every other new replacement axle, have been problematic on TSXs. We don't trust them any more.

Although your findings curiously lead away from axles. Perplexing...
I took the axle the rest of the way apart. There was a fair amount of wear on the tripod where the bearings ride. I'm not too sure how tight the bearings should be, but this may be where slop in the axle was alowing play and vibration. I'm really not too keen on spending another $200 not knowing if its going to fix the issue.
Old 01-25-2015, 10:27 AM
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
What kind of rims are you running? Could be a bent rim?
Old 01-25-2015, 02:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Luketic
a bent rim would vibrate all the time regardless of acceleration or deceleration at certain speeds
Old 01-26-2015, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Luketic
Even if this was thes case, with as long as I have had this issue and as many times as I have rotated the tires, unless every rim was bent the exact same, the issue would have changed to another wheel. But like previously stated, a bent wheel would shake all the time.

On another note. I drove the wife's 04 TL a good bit this weekend and it seems hers is starting the same shimmy under throttle. Hers is hardly noticie under normal driving. You only really feel it under heavy throttle.

I'm willing to bet it is the aftermarket inner Cv joint. If the trans mounts don't fix it, I'm going to order the Honda inner joint and replace it. My question is....Who makes the axles for honda? Very few auto makers make parts themselves these days. They design them, engineer them, sub the manufacturing of the components out, then assemble them as their product.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:10 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
did you check your rotor and pad? my guess would be the caliper locked up the rotor and caused the rotor to be overheated.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:56 PM
Former Sponsor

Even if this was thes case, with as long as I have had this issue and as many times as I have rotated the tires, unless every rim was bent the exact same, the issue would have changed to another wheel. But like previously stated, a bent wheel would shake all the time.

On another note. I drove the wife's 04 TL a good bit this weekend and it seems hers is starting the same shimmy under throttle. Hers is hardly noticie under normal driving. You only really feel it under heavy throttle.

I'm willing to bet it is the aftermarket inner Cv joint. If the trans mounts don't fix it, I'm going to order the Honda inner joint and replace it. My question is....Who makes the axles for honda? Very few auto makers make parts themselves these days. They design them, engineer them, sub the manufacturing of the components out, then assemble them as their product.
Now...you may be interested...we just got some new ones in we are testing. They look pretty darn good and are a nice price. Not genuine...aftermarket performance inner joints.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by aIRpeACE
did you check your rotor and pad? my guess would be the caliper locked up the rotor and caused the rotor to be overheated.
This would cause vibrations on braking....not acceleration.

Now...you may be interested...we just got some new ones in we are testing. They look pretty darn good and are a nice price. Not genuine...aftermarket performance inner joints.
Very interested....do tell more....
Old 01-28-2015, 02:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 95 Likes on 80 Posts
you may be surprise. if the caliper was locked which cased the rotors to be overheated and bended. whenever you accelerate, it will vibrated.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by aIRpeACE
you may be surprise. if the caliper was locked which cased the rotors to be overheated and bended. whenever you accelerate, it will vibrated.
A "bended" or warped rotor suffers from what is called lateral runout. The vibrations felt due to runout are felt through the brake pedal and steering wheel upon braking. In extreme instances when runout is excessive, it will cause the caliper piston to be forced into the bore of the caliper farther than usual. This will cause vibration for a split second upon acceleration until the caliper piston has retracted enough that the pads no longer contact the rotor. This will also cause longer brake peddle travel upon braking due to the caliper having to close the widened gap between the pads and rotor. These are NOT the simptoms I suffer from.

My caliper did NOT lock up. I do NOT have runout in my rotors. I do NOT have pulsing in my brake pedal on braking. I do NOT have temperery vibrations upon acceleration.

I have perminant vibrations on acceleration. Any time my foot is on the throttle, the right font wheel shakes/vibrates/wobbles.... When I cruise, coast, decelerate, or brake there are ZERO vibrations. Smooth as silk. It would be impossible for a warped rotor to cause vibrations on acceleration and not cause vibrations upon braking.

This is NOT a braking issue.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:23 PM
Former Sponsor

I recall at least one time that someone had fixed a non-braking vibration with new rotors...I almost didn't believe it. Rotors do need to be balanced though, if they are any good.

But if it is only on the gas it really seems like an axle.

Here is a sneak peek on the tripods and bearings. The rollers are on roller bearings and have end-limits. The posts are a lot larger. The bearings are wider and flatter, distributing load in the cups better.

The following users liked this post:
Wacker (01-30-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 04:00 PM

I recall at least one time that someone had fixed a non-braking vibration with new rotors...I almost didn't believe it. Rotors do need to be balanced though, if they are any good.

But if it is only on the gas it really seems like an axle.

Here is a sneak peek on the tripods and bearings. The rollers are on roller bearings and have end-limits. The posts are a lot larger. The bearings are wider and flatter, distributing load in the cups better.

Hurry up wit yo bad sef!! Cause I just replaced my trans mounts and now the problem is worse!! LOL!! All three mounts were shot to hell.. I guess it got worse since the trans is more positively connnected to the car and the vibrations could transfer better...

This leaves me with ALL NEW MOUNTS. Mounts can no longer be questioned.

Name:  B9021D00-5CAC-4B27-8251-CEC03E1DEA7E_zpsuoukblpm.jpg
Views: 1491
Size:  155.3 KB

Name:  C7B0465B-F0F6-4B24-A7C8-AA65E1E53EB2_zpsjmg8n2rq.jpg
Views: 1304
Size:  164.1 KB
Old 01-30-2015, 10:29 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
After reading all the nonsense about motor mounts, brakes, etc. causing your problem.

Its your axles.
You need to replace both axles not just one side.
Old 01-31-2015, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by ECRD
After reading all the nonsense about motor mounts, brakes, etc. causing your problem.

Its your axles.
You need to replace both axles not just one side.
I don't feel that the mounts are nonsense. Where they may not have been the problem causing the vibration, they were most definately a problem. Every one of them was bad. I'm glad I replaced them.

The nonsense about the brakes was brought up by another member. I never suspected the brakes. That, I agree, was 100% nonsense.

I agree the axles are likely the issue (more specifically the inner joints). I am waiting to see what Heeltoe comes up with. I refuse to pay the excessive price of the OE axles. Absolute robbery. $1,200.00 for axles is just stupid. If Heeltoe comes up with a viable inner joint option, I will buy from him. Otherwise, I will be ordering OE inner joints. They are much beter priced than the entire axle. If need be, I can replace inner and outer joints on both axles for approx what Acura wants for one axle assy. $700.00 is still rediculous for new inner and outer joints though.
Old 02-02-2015, 10:09 AM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
Did you check out the raxles? They are reman but they use all oem part. They usually go for $500 on both side.
Old 02-02-2015, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by cokorote
Did you check out the raxles? They are reman but they use all oem part. They usually go for $500 on both side.
Yes, I have and have gotten a quote for them. It appears they regrind the inner joint and use new outer joints. With my issue being inner joint related and having seen others have bad luck with Raxles and the vibrations, I'm going to stay away from them.
Old 02-02-2015, 12:05 PM
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts
I never hear bad thing about Raxles on azine. Especially on vibration issue. Can you provide a link?
Old 02-02-2015, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by cokorote
I never hear bad thing about Raxles on azine. Especially on vibration issue. Can you provide a link?
I've had this issue for about a year now...if not longer. In all the searching I did in that time peariod, I ran across quite a few instances where the OP had the same symptoms as me and used raxles and it did not fix the issue. It wasnt only Acurazine that I searched. I'd be an idiot to limit myself to one website. I didnt bookmark or memorize the links. Sorry.
Old 02-02-2015, 06:51 PM

Found this one after a quick search.

https://acurazine.com/forums/problem...thread-884294/
Old 02-03-2015, 03:25 AM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
I still vote raxles. Just because you find one bad review doesnt mean you need to be scared. Think about it this way, you're here posting that you got a bad oem axle so does that mean someone who stumbles on this thread shouldnt get OEM axles? There are a lot of ppl who have great reviews of raxles, and some consider them to be superior to OEM.
Or if you really dont want to go that route, you'll just have to fork up the insane price, or wait for heeltoe.
Not much else to say, choices are pretty simple.
go with raxles, wait an indefinitely amount of time for heeltoe, or spend the $$$ on oem
Old 02-03-2015, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by paperboy42190
Just because you find one bad review doesnt mean you need to be scared.
I definatley found more than one in all my research. I just posted the one I found quickly at that time since cokorote asked for a link. I'm just not going to spend 10 hours to do all the google searching and reasearch to provide links when it will not help my situation at all.

Ive already spent so much money on this issue....I'm tempted to just sell the car because this vibration is sooooo irritating, however, with the vibration, it drives like crap and there is no way I'd get decent money for the car driving like it is. I've waited well over a year and have 3 other vehicles I can drive in the mean time. I'd like to see what Heeltoe has to say. If the OE inner joint kit pricing on their site is indicitive of the proce range of the new ones, I'll just be ordering new OE inners from Acura online
Old 03-07-2015, 04:11 PM

So, an update on my situation. I was going to wait and see what Heeltoe came up with for pricing on their units until the driver side started showing signs of the same issue. I went online to order both inner joints from honda and ended up getting busy and not actualy ding the transaction. The next day, I went back to the website to make the purchase and the price on the driver side inner had more than doubled to $285, and the price on the pass side went up to $195. Rediculous!!!! I called Marty at Raxles and talked with him a good bit. He guarnateed that his axles would fix my issue. Less than $500 and the issue is now fixed. Marty is a great guy and the axles were really nice. The car is a joy to drive again!! It drives absolutely beautiful.
The following 4 users liked this post by Wacker:
bluetl04 (03-08-2015), cokorote (06-14-2016), Corey_Straker (03-17-2015), Slpr04UA6 (03-07-2015)
Old 03-07-2015, 06:24 PM
-------Tim-------

Received 609 Likes on 513 Posts
Raxles Solved the issue! Thnks soo much for updating us! Good to Hear!
Old 03-08-2015, 01:25 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 281 Likes on 190 Posts
So, an update on my situation. I was going to wait and see what Heeltoe came up with for pricing on their units until the driver side started showing signs of the same issue. I went online to order both inner joints from honda and ended up getting busy and not actualy ding the transaction. The next day, I went back to the website to make the purchase and the price on the driver side inner had more than doubled to $285, and the price on the pass side went up to $195. Rediculous!!!! I called Marty at Raxles and talked with him a good bit. He guarnateed that his axles would fix my issue. Less than $500 and the issue is now fixed. Marty is a great guy and the axles were really nice. The car is a joy to drive again!! It drives absolutely beautiful.
Thanks for the update. I'm having a similar vibration from the right front and I'm betting it's the axles. Can't believe the axles are that much, but if it fixes it for good, all the better.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:42 AM
Former Sponsor

Sorry for taking a while to get back with you. Our TSX parts had been up for a number of weeks but we only just had the TL parts added to the site. We have our newest inner joints online here:
Fastline Performance Inner Axle Joint and Boot Kit, 2004-08 Acura TL All Models

A little late for Marty, but maybe others can benefit!

Here are the complete axles:
Fastline Performance Axle Shaft, Complete New Part, 2004-08 Acura TL All models, No Core Required - HeelToe Automotive

Last edited by MrHeeltoe; 03-09-2015 at 08:45 AM.