Recall on the HFL Glitch??

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 01:36 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Recall on the HFL Glitch??

Two weeks ago, on my way to work, I tried to make a phone call via HFL and the entire system locked up. Wouldn't go back to the radio at all. Turned the car off and back on, still did not fix. Was not until I started the car after my 8 hr shift that it worked again. After that, no more problems but figured I'd mention it to the dealership next I got the oil changed. This morning, HFL went to place a call but it never rung over the speakers. After the third attempt, I hit the button on my phone to drop HFL only to be asked by the person I was calling why I was playing on their phone. Later that day when placing a call, I got the normal "Would you like to call.......? / Calling" prompts and that's all she wrote. The number popped up on the MID Display but the phone never turned on. I then hightailed it over to the dealership to show them what it was doing instead of only being able to tell them. First thing the rep asked was if I restarted the car. I told him no because I knew doing that was only a Band-Aid and I want the problem fixed permanently. He then says he has never heard of this happening before (yet he knew the trick about restarting the car) but like any computer, they have glitches. It was kind of a slap in face working in the IT field hearing someone who thinks they're talking to an idiot tell me about how computers work. Politely as possible, I explained that a glitch tends to happen when a version of software or hardware isn't thoroughly tested under all conditions before putting it into production which normally leads to a revision by the manufacturer. Dumbfounded, he simply said he was going to research this and if it happens again, HOPEFULLY he will have more info on this to get it resolved.

I've read through some the threads and saw something HFL being recalled at some point. Can someone point me to a link or a bulletin explaining this just in case the Acura rep isn't productive enough in his search?
Old 08-18-2009, 01:28 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the same problem on my '06 TL. The dealer said that that was a problem with the '05s and older but that it had been fixed on the '06. After 4 dead batteries and mentioning the lemon law rules, they took it in for a week and hooked it up to a monitor.
It finally happened there and they replaced the HFL. Sorry I don't know about any formal recall.
Jim
Old 08-18-2009, 02:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Perhaps this is it:

http://www.in.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/SB/B08-057.pdf
Old 08-18-2009, 05:31 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
Originally Posted by ciscopath
Two weeks ago, on my way to work, I tried to make a phone call via HFL and the entire system locked up. Wouldn't go back to the radio at all. Turned the car off and back on, still did not fix. Was not until I started the car after my 8 hr shift that it worked again. After that, no more problems but figured I'd mention it to the dealership next I got the oil changed. This morning, HFL went to place a call but it never rung over the speakers. After the third attempt, I hit the button on my phone to drop HFL only to be asked by the person I was calling why I was playing on their phone. Later that day when placing a call, I got the normal "Would you like to call.......? / Calling" prompts and that's all she wrote. The number popped up on the MID Display but the phone never turned on. I then hightailed it over to the dealership to show them what it was doing instead of only being able to tell them. First thing the rep asked was if I restarted the car. I told him no because I knew doing that was only a Band-Aid and I want the problem fixed permanently. He then says he has never heard of this happening before (yet he knew the trick about restarting the car) but like any computer, they have glitches. It was kind of a slap in face working in the IT field hearing someone who thinks they're talking to an idiot tell me about how computers work. Politely as possible, I explained that a glitch tends to happen when a version of software or hardware isn't thoroughly tested under all conditions before putting it into production which normally leads to a revision by the manufacturer. Dumbfounded, he simply said he was going to research this and if it happens again, HOPEFULLY he will have more info on this to get it resolved.

I've read through some the threads and saw something HFL being recalled at some point. Can someone point me to a link or a bulletin explaining this just in case the Acura rep isn't productive enough in his search?
What year is your car and what phone are you using? Is it on the Acura approved list? The early 3G's did indeed have a TSB (above) for the HFL.
Old 08-18-2009, 07:04 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nfnsquared
What year is your car and what phone are you using? Is it on the Acura approved list? The early 3G's did indeed have a TSB (above) for the HFL.
TSB isn't a recall though.

And if he's out of warranty, an HFL replacement isn't cheap. The part alone is about $600.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:12 AM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
Thank a billion for the link. It's an '08 so it definitely falls in category of TLs with this issue and still under warranty. The phone is a Samsung Instinct which I had before I purchased the car. In all the time of owning the TL, it didn't start doing this until a couple a weeks ago. And like I mentioned, the last time it happened, the number showed up on the MID but the phone itself never turned on. I'm leaning more towards it being the HFL flaking out than a compatibility issue.

Hey, Jim. When they took in your car for the week, did they offer you a loaner?

Last edited by ciscopath; 08-19-2009 at 12:16 AM.