Rear Window Won't Work

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 05:20 PM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Rear Window Won't Work

So recently my wife's passenger side rear window stopped working. It would only roll down and not up. So I thought it was the switch.

I took out the switch and hooked it up to the driver's rear window, and it worked both ways, so I know it's not the switch.

I then hooked up the driver's side switch to the passenger side rear window motor, and it again worked, but only in one direction.

This tells me that the window regulator motor is not the problem. It's the wiring.

There are three wires going into the car from the door grommet: one is obviously a common wire, and the other two are for up and down functions. I know the wiring goes from the door grommet to the driver's door master switch, and from there it goes to the under-dash relay.

Question: How do I check to see if the wiring is OK between the motor and the master switch? The master switch wiring for the rear passenger window does not work either (does not work in both up or down directions, while passenger rear window switch only works in down direction). What could be the problem? How do I check the wiring between the master switch and the under-dash fuse box?
Old 06-30-2011, 06:10 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

WTF So I put the old regulator motor back into the car to lower the window and attach the motor arm to the window inside the door frame, and it worked both directions.

Something is going on here.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:57 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,986 Likes on 14,496 Posts
I swear, my TL is doing weird stuff like this too...I remember my keyless entry wouldn't beep anymore for a few days...then it fixed itself. Then fuse #6 kept blowing, I jumpered it and then re-fused it and it started working again, now my bluetooth doesn't work sometimes so I have to knock on the little plastic cover on it to get it to kick on.

Weird!!! Glad it started working again at least.
Old 06-30-2011, 09:37 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Originally Posted by rockstar143
I swear, my TL is doing weird stuff like this too...I remember my keyless entry wouldn't beep anymore for a few days...then it fixed itself. Then fuse #6 kept blowing, I jumpered it and then re-fused it and it started working again, now my bluetooth doesn't work sometimes so I have to knock on the little plastic cover on it to get it to kick on.

Weird!!! Glad it started working again at least.
Knowing me, it's not going to last long. It'll conk out tonight.

I tested continuity on the yellow/brown wire between the window switch and the master switch on the driver's door, and there was none. So SOMEWHERE in the car, between those two points, there is a short or a break in the line. I'm thinking of just getting a wire and routing it underneath the carpet and hooking it up to both switches to take care of the problem, IF it shows its face again.