Rear Strut/Supension Noises...

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 05:37 PM
TL-Stunna

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Strut/Supension Noises...

Weird noises coming from the back end of my car when I go over a bump. Its a squeaking, annoying noise. Could it be my struts, shocks, or something worse? Only suspension modification I have done is a Progress Rear Sway Bar. Could that have anything to do with it?
Old 01-09-2011, 06:52 PM
Intermediate

there are some people reporting about subframe tear outs due to some rear sway bars. i would check and make sure that your car does not have this issue
Old 01-10-2011, 11:04 AM
Intermediate

I am having the same problem. Only mod is progress RSB. Rear suspension is now very noisy. I did not notice the problem until the winter weather hit.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:46 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
I've been having the same noise for about a year. It hasn't gotten worse over time, but it has been driving me crazy. I have a '04 with the A-Spec suspension and the Comptech rear sway bar, both I installed myself back in early 05.
After looking for something loose under the rear and after reading some posts about the '07 TL-S noisy rear, I decided to put the old, regular rear struts back in the car to see if the noise goes away.

Back when I put on the A-Spec, I didn't remove the sway bar links as the manual suggests but today I couldn't figure out how I did it. So I just decided to remove the upper link ball joint. The nut was really hard to come off and I wound up stripping the 5mm hex ins1de the bolt.

The only tool to fix that problem was the Sawsall! The other side broke my balls too, so that came off via the sawsall. Needless to say I gave up on swapping out the struts, took the sway bar/brackets off the car and called it a day.

I drove the car without the rear sway bar and the noise is GONE! No more knocking/rolling bowling ball sound from the lower rear.
There were no local car part stores or Acura dealers open on Saturday afternoon, so Monday I'll pick up new links and lock bolts from the dealer.
As soon as I get a chance to put them on I'll post an update.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:53 AM
-------Tim-------

Received 610 Likes on 514 Posts
^Please do! I have a slight clunk sound in the rear as well. Everything is torqued to spec. I have the progress rear bar as well, and have read many times that it is the endlinks for the RSB. I will be ordering these as well.
Old 04-05-2011, 01:45 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 99 Posts
My rear driver side suspension makes a squeeking noise when I go over big bump or imperfections in the road but only sometimes... stock setup.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:48 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by UA66
I've been having the same noise for about a year. It hasn't gotten worse over time, but it has been driving me crazy. I have a '04 with the A-Spec suspension and the Comptech rear sway bar, both I installed myself back in early 05.
After looking for something loose under the rear and after reading some posts about the '07 TL-S noisy rear, I decided to put the old, regular rear struts back in the car to see if the noise goes away.

Back when I put on the A-Spec, I didn't remove the sway bar links as the manual suggests but today I couldn't figure out how I did it. So I just decided to remove the upper link ball joint. The nut was really hard to come off and I wound up stripping the 5mm hex ins1de the bolt.

The only tool to fix that problem was the Sawsall! The other side broke my balls too, so that came off via the sawsall. Needless to say I gave up on swapping out the struts, took the sway bar/brackets off the car and called it a day.

I drove the car without the rear sway bar and the noise is GONE! No more knocking/rolling bowling ball sound from the lower rear.
There were no local car part stores or Acura dealers open on Saturday afternoon, so Monday I'll pick up new links and lock bolts from the dealer.
As soon as I get a chance to put them on I'll post an update.
I finally got a chance to replace both rear sway bar links with new locknuts, torqued to spec. Reinstalled the Comptech Rear Sway Bar. But the knocking noise was back!

This time I took off the Comptech Rear Sway Bar and took a close look at it.
It did appear the right rear (passenger side) bushing was worn compared to the left (drivers) side. Also it looked like the mounting hole on the right side might have become a little larger. The Comptech Rear Sway Bar had about 115k+ miles on it.

Since I still had the original sway bar and bushings, I put that on and the noise went away.

I'll think about replacing the original sway bar with a new, more aggressive one again. But for now I'm moving onto the other fixes for those other annoying TL noises that always creep up!