Rear Deck Bass Rattle FIX [Pics + Video]

Old 04-24-2017, 08:57 PM
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by eyyomang
Is anyone else unable to view the pictures? I tired using two different browsers, Chrome and Safari, and still can't see them.
Never mind I was able to fix it with out seeing the pictures. Used a flat head screwdriver to pry the heads of the pins down a little bit then grabbed the shaft of the pins with a needle nose and pulled them right out. Then put cotton balls in between the chassis and deck. Took 10-15 mins and costed nothing.
Old post but great fix....thanks OP!
Old 09-21-2017, 02:23 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So sorry to drag up an old post, but this looks like a good one! I started experiencing a crackling sound coming from my rear deck shelf (even with radio powered off) in May and would love to know how to fix this. I took my car to the dealer and they could replicate the sound, but couldn't figure it out. After paying for unsuccessful repairs and them damaging my car in the process, I have decided to try to tackle this myself. As this thread is older, I am not able to view any pictures of the fix and they would sure help me out. If anyone has pictures or detailed instructions on this fix, I would love to see them ! Thanks in advance!
Old 03-07-2018, 11:38 PM
8th Gear

hellpppp

Can someone show me what he is talking about because I can’t see the pictures or the video in the link. Thanks.
Old 04-16-2018, 04:42 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Pictures are long gone. Pieced together what to do from Taz’s post. I’ll copy it below....

He explained that the rattling was the "baffles" releasing extra air from the heavy excursion of big bass songs.

I have a 07 TL, and i started having this sub. rattles two weeks ago, and i tried padding the hole around the rear vents area, and still have some other thing rattles, so i find out the other rattling from the right side seat belt holder(the mounting bracket). so i fixed that too and now is fine!!

Okay so i did this yeterday night took 15min to do, i broke 3 screws i ripped the truck cover thing off. And i put pieces of towel, by the vent area. And then some rattles went away. Then i went in the back seat and i heard alot of rattle coming from the red back light in the top of the ceiling of the car right, its right on top of the middle seat in back. And i pushed up on it, and the alot of rattling went away. But when u stuff it up in there, ppl see it clearly if thier behind u in traffic. U could try superglue. Or some kind of clear drip free glue. But now the sub rattles like hell. And the only way to fix that is get a better quality sub. This stock sub is no good. If i turn vol-7 it rattles so bad even with the bass down to a little more then half.

I believe the sub is not the problem. The problem is the plastic vents smacking the rear windshield. As for the purpose of the vents... could they be ports for the bass to *exhaust* it's sound?

I have 05 TL that I've had this problem for about a year. The dealer wanted to charge me $110.00 for labor just to look at it because my warranty had expired! I just removed the cover with no problems and didn't break any clips. I wedged something between the vents which seemed to help but I still had an awful rattle/vibration. After investigating further and the real point of my post is...My rattle was coming from the GPS antenna which sits next the subwoofer! The antenna can be easily accessed through a hole and when I would put my hand on the bottom of the antenna the rattle would stop. The only thing that I could think of doing was wedging a piece of cloth between the antenna and the frame. Everything sounds much better now!

FYI...just performed this fix on my 08. The rattle is actually coming from the rear vent vibrating against the metal deck underneath. Worked like a charm.I actually used some strips of 1/2" closed-cell foam that I had lying around from a sound proofing project several cars ago and it worked quite well. There's really nothing too it, I used fingers and a screw driver to wedge it in there.

Thanks for all the info guys - I actually used the advise and come to find out... its NOT the rear vents that are vibrating - its the seat belt mechanism that sits right next to the sub and supplies the seatbelt to the middle passenger... I apply pressure to it and it and the rattling stops.

I just fixed my rear deck rattle. It wasn't what the OP found. The noise I was hear was from the plastic door that cover the metal hook for the car seat in the center. I had some Crystal Method playing and pushed up on everything in the truck and it didn't stop. I went inside and pressed on the speaker itself, still no fix. I then opened the plastic door and it stopped! I stuck some weatherstripping in there and closed the door, ALL FIXED.

I also found out the plastic cover for the child seat hook rattles I stuffed that with some cloth and closed it and it no longer rattles.
The following users liked this post:
mazen222 (12-26-2018)
Old 12-26-2018, 10:34 AM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Well, after 5 years or living with this, i will try to finally fix it today! lol
Old 01-02-2019, 08:31 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by mazen222
Well, after 5 years or living with this, i will try to finally fix it today! lol
Did it work, and what did you do?
Old 01-03-2019, 06:41 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
My rear deck shelf thing was rattling against the glass right in the seam at the very very back of the bottom of the glass.

Just wedged some stuff foam directly in the middle separating the little carpet shelf thing from the window.
Buggernuts (01-04-2019)
Old 01-04-2019, 06:05 AM
Cruisin'

Also, I find that the song Under the Influence by The Chemical Brothers is a good bass test, if you're into that kind of music. For video setups in the home I use the attack scene from Pearl Harbor, or the lobby scene from The Matrix.

Just my 2¢.
Old 01-04-2019, 07:53 AM
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Buggernuts
Did it work, and what did you do?
yes it worked! First I put Drake song on repeat with max bass and max sub. Then I stuffed high density foam between glass and rear deck with a flat head screw driver. That actually made the rattle worst. So I knew it was something else.
Then I removed the trunk covering to see what’s making the rattle from under. Turns out it’s the middle seat belt assembly. I could see the components vibrate inside of it. I tried to pad it without success so I got fed up and destroyed it by removing the plastic covering and took out all the small parts.
That fixed my problem but the middle seat belt is not functional anymore. Since I use my speakers daily vs the rear seat belt almost never, in happy with the result.
Good luck!
Buggernuts (01-07-2019)
Old 01-05-2019, 09:09 AM
Cold Business

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts
Rattle is from the air movement in the trunk blowing and sucking (nh) the deck up and down. Pull the trunk liner down, wipe down the area around the holes with alcohol, then cover them with gorilla brand duct tape. Worked for me.
Old 02-23-2019, 10:56 AM
4th Gear

Originally Posted by Tempest811
The infamous bass rattle I have experienced lately (and it seems many of you have too) has finally been silenced today when my dad and I finally busted open my trunk and found the problem.
This may not particularly be where the rattle is coming from for all of you but upon inspecting the area, it was pretty clear that there was a pretty large design flaw and plenty of space for vibration between the rearmost vents along the windowsill and the chassis around the trunk light.

This is the area I am talking about - this rear vent sits about 1/4-1/2 inch above the chassis and isn't fastened or insulated.

There are holes in the frame in these locations where you can stick your fingers through and literally lift the rear vents and some of the rear deck.

This is what the hole looks like that is just to the left of the trunk light. Push up on that piece of plastic and the rattling should go away

Stuff some padding (a cut up towel, cotton, etc..) into the holes so there's padding between the plastic and the frame.

Here's a video to prove to you the difference it makes when you lift that area off the bare metal:
[DivX video - click here]

Let me know if this works for you guys! Hopefully it helped at least SOMEONE because that rattle drove me nuts!
This looks great, but for some reasons none of the pictures are showing up for me - is it just me, or are the links expired or something?
Old 02-23-2019, 11:15 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Pix and video no longer work for me either - however it is coming up on 12 years ago...................
Old 06-06-2021, 08:55 PM

Received 152 Likes on 99 Posts
Bump. I'm done digging around with searching here. This thread is useless without pics, and so are all the other threads that just reference this thread. And the TSB thread hasn't worked in years.

Anybody got a visual on this fix?
Old 06-06-2021, 09:55 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Superunknown
Bump. I'm done digging around with searching here. This thread is useless without pics, and so are all the other threads that just reference this thread. And the TSB thread hasn't worked in years.

Anybody got a visual on this fix?
I dont have an exact picture but essentially what fixed it for me was to push in some all-purpose foam from Home Depot into the crevices where the rear deck and the rear windshield meet.

https://imgur.com/a/v1VgTdb

Last edited by gopeman; 06-06-2021 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Broken Link