Rain triggers alarm and door ajar warning on dash

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 07:33 PM
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Rain triggers alarm and door ajar warning on dash

Hey guys,

I've found numerous threads regarding this issue, but I still haven't been able to find a definite way to resolve it.

For those of you who don't know what issue I'm referring to...

Whenever it rains, my car's alarm will start going off. It's been raining a lot the past couple of months and it's come to the point where I have to leave my car at home because I can't lock it without the alarm going off every couple of minutes. It's a real pain when my parents both need their cars and I'm stuck being at home or I have to find a ride... or worse... I have to chance leaving my car unlocked in some parking lot.

At first I thought it was a faulty alarm system, but then I started to see on the dash that the rear passenger side door and occasionally the front passenger door are ajar when they are not. I checked both door switches and they seem to be fine... they work just the way they're supposed to when it's dry outside. The problem only persists when it's rainy. The rear passenger door switch loses all functionality when it's rainy. I try pushing on it and looking at the dash to see if the ajar light will disappear and it doesn't. The front passenger door switch seems to remain in working order even when it rains, but for some reason... once in a while it shows on the dash that it is ajar.

I also found this to be a little funny....

This is the little rubber piece on the door that presses up against the switch located on the chassis when the door is closed. This is the one on the driver side rear door. Both front doors have the same type of rubber piece.

However...

This is the piece on the passenger side rear door (the one with the faulty switch). The shape is completely different, so I don't know if this has something to do with the switch going all crazy. Would any of you be able to check your cars to see if you have these different rubber pieces?? I'm not sure if it's just my car. The weather stripping on the chassis is also loose. I don't know how to secure it properly.

Any ideas? I'd love the hear any input before I take this matter to the dealer and get charged an arm and a leg for diagnostic fees and then parts and labor on top of that.

Last edited by UAeight08; 05-10-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:38 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Anyone?
Old 05-13-2011, 03:25 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Somewhat common problem when the windshield was replaced and not sealed correctly. I suppose it can happen on a factory deal too. Water gets into the module and it goes crazy. Definitely check the windshield seals. The difference in most of those cases were I don't remember the door ajar showing up on the dash. So this never happens when it's dry? The large screw is obviously the wrong one and it's deforming the rubber. Might not let it close all the way either.

Last edited by I hate cars; 05-13-2011 at 03:27 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:08 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UAeight08, has your door sensor problem been resolved? I am having the same issue when it rains and have replaced with a new door sensor.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:13 PM
eg5
user title goes here

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
check behind the drivers fuse box for rust trails coming from the firewalls seems. check for water damage alongside the fuse box area. and lastly unplug some of the fuse boxes connectors and check for rust or water damage around the terminals of the plug.
has this car ever been in a flud?
Old 09-12-2012, 01:05 PM
10th Gear

same firking issue

Checked for flood signs; none visible; checked fuses and lines and under seats and in truck, no sign of flooding in the car's past. I do not know wtf to do with this car; extremely disappointed in Acura for this ish.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:12 PM
eg5
user title goes here

run it thru a car wash or have someone stand outside with a garden hose directing water to and around the windshield area.then check for water inside drivers compartment.
The following users liked this post:
rjwalker30 (09-13-2012)
Old 09-12-2012, 10:17 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
i had the same problem. Then my wife noticed dripping where you put your foot on the dead pedal ( thank goodness she was wearing a dress that day.) The rain was coming in from the windshield, because the seal wasn't sealed properly when the window was replaced about 3 years back. So I guess it took awhile for the water to finally affect the module. Replaced the seal back in Jan and it hasnt happened again.
The following users liked this post:
rjwalker30 (09-13-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 10:13 AM
10th Gear

Thank you for the replies, people. I am at a loss and have tried the waterhose before but will do it again and for a longer period of time.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:01 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't have this problem, but was having water leaks after I ran the car through a car wash. Windshield had been replaced but company insisted it was a sunroof problem. I ensured the drains were clear and problem persisted. Finally Glass Company inspected the windshield for the 4th time and said they would replace the windshield since it wasn't sealed (Installed) properly. Problem cured, not more dripping water on drivers left foot and dry fuse box.
Old 08-30-2014, 09:16 PM
6th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
As a temporary fix I solved half the problem. Disconnect the Alarm horn, not a vehicle horn, and only the lights will flash for 3 minutes and go out but will return until I can solve this issue.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:34 AM
1st Gear

Resolved problem?

Originally Posted by rjwalker30
UAeight08, has your door sensor problem been resolved? I am having the same issue when it rains and have replaced with a new door sensor.
Hi there I am having the same problem since it rained, the dash keeps saying two of my doors are open. We're yoy able to resolve this problem or have any leads on any possible solutions? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:40 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,582 Likes on 6,629 Posts
Originally Posted by Amber Long
Hi there I am having the same problem since it rained, the dash keeps saying two of my doors are open. We're yoy able to resolve this problem or have any leads on any possible solutions? Thanks in advance.
Have you replaced said door sensors??
Old 03-07-2017, 07:02 PM
Instructor

THOIBOI I know you have to be noticing me appear everywhere the past week! We just had a storm come in and it rained alot. I went to a buddy's apartment and thought someone tried breaking in to my car because I went out after 5 minutes thinking it wasn't mine....it was mine! I already have a back left door not locking or unlocking manually or with fob, I have to push and pull the knob to make it work. (thoiboi says its actuator)

Back to the alarm... I came out and pressed 'lock' on my fob and it stopped. I hot unlock as I approach and though I had maybe left my faulty actuator door unlocked. Got in, started the car and it said my back right door was ajar....it was clearly closed because I even opened it and slammed it shut several times. This ain't cool bruhs! I swear every year or so my F*#$%ng 05 TL decides to go through a series of unfortunate events.

I've had it to my tits with this car, its one thing after another.
  • broken axle/ball joints
  • broken control arm
  • consistent squeaky ass brakes
  • 3rd brake light out
  • windshield wipers stopped working
  • phone feature draining car battery on a daily basis so had to disable it (which cost 200+ for some reason (Fuck King Acura of Hoover btw))
  • broken engine mounts
  • faulty window actuator/door wont lock or unlock
  • bullshit door ajar and random car alarm set off when it rains
What will be next? Placing bets now...
Old 03-08-2017, 06:39 AM
Instructor

UPDATE: Door ajar notification went away when buckling my seat belt. Left Seat belt buckled when I got home so I could actually lock it. 3 hours later as I sleep, 12:30AM - Alarm is fucking lit going off and I'm freaking out, getting up fumbling to get my keys (reception does not reach from the 3rd floor to the basement....I fly halfway down and finally shut it off, locked it again. 1:45AM - Shit is lit again. Plain pissed at this moment. Did the same thing only this time left it unlocked. Now I just got up to say my story although no one may give a shit about this. This Acura TL has become a fucking nightmare.

(waiting at work for that alarm to go off in the parking lot for no damn reason)
Old 03-28-2017, 02:17 PM
Instructor

now another broken motor mount
Old 03-30-2017, 12:51 PM
1st Gear

Exclamation False door ajar, alarm going off, etc. Mystery Meltdown!

Hi all. I am very interested to hear if anyone has found a resolution here. I'm just now going down this dark path after a > decade of blissful, trouble free service from my '04 TL. Here my scenario, if it helps.
Three days before a planned long road trip, I noticed that my dome light was on at night. Went to check it, and rear-passenger door ajar light was on. Switch not functioning? Pulled the switch and swapped it with rear drivers side switch. Problem persisted on rear passenger side, so not the switch. I also heard a sizzling sound near the fuse box! Pulled dome light fuse (so it would stay on all night) then took car to dealer next morning for service. The dealership diagnosed a faulty fusebox to the tune of $650. Oh well, after a decade of trouble free service, I took the hit. Problem appeared to be fixed.
On the day of road trip, on the way out the driveway, I noticed VSA light was on, ABS break light on, anf a warning icon in tachometer region (
I decided against taking the car and instead packed everyting in my wife's Civic and off we went. Next morning, hundreds of miles from home, my neighbor call my cell at 7:00 a.m. telling me my car slarm has been going off !! I called a friend to come over, get my key, and dis-connect the battery.
Now, it's going to go back in for service, but I don't want another $650 shotgun, half-assed "fix".does anybody have ANY INPUT ON THIS THAT MIGHT HELP ?
​​​​​​​
Old 03-30-2017, 02:39 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 140 Posts
I ran into a similar issue years ago. Here is the thread I started

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...roblem-877895/
Old 03-30-2017, 02:46 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by flyromeo3
I ran into a similar issue years ago. Here is the thread I started

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...roblem-877895/
Someone out there does give f*ck! thank you!
Old 04-01-2017, 12:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 166 Likes on 140 Posts
any luck?
Old 08-09-2017, 12:47 PM
7th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I have an 07 TL that started this issue as well. One night two weeks ago, the alarm kept going off. I went to check and the display said my driver door was open. The message remained after closing the door, and manually triggering the door switch had no effect. I then replaced the switch. No effect. So I took the car that Saturday to an Acura dealer. After having the car 5 hours, they determined the "ground bolt was loose causing poor connection." The tech's explanation was that the door sensor wasn't grounded properly therefore the car thought the door was open. For a week and a half, no issues. Then Monday morning, once again I have the 'Driver's Door Open' alert. The alert stayed on for two full days, but as of two hours ago, has now went off. I'm now considering the real possibility the thread is right, and I have water causing some kind of electrical issue. It rained alot over the weekend and perhaps water came into contact w/ some of the components. So today at lunch I used the water hose to drench the car, but still no alert. Could take some time for the water to cause the issue. My windshield has never been replaced, but it's possible after 10 years the seals have broken down. I have another appointment Saturday w/ the Acura dealership to get to the bottom of this. I printed out this thread for reference. I'll let you guys know what I find out. Thanks for the thread!
Old 04-28-2018, 11:31 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm having the same issue. It rained yesterday and my alarm went off twice came upon a couple of threads in here of you guys having same issue.. my door ajar lights come on when door are closed both my driver side doors seem open and same for my rear right.. on my way to work this morning the VSA & ABS had lit up while I was driving.. I checked fuse box yesterday and I do have a leak coming from the winshield because I did get it placed back in February... Anybody found a solution?? My mechanic says it's better to buy a new fuse box.. any update guys? This shit is so annoying can't even lock my car..