Punks Threw Large Rock From Overpass On Top My Type S!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 11:03 AM
[x] FWCC [x]

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
damm dude, yeah i agree with TLD, don't settle for less...with my glass coverage with allstate they cover me everything with OEM glass. We pay insurance and comprehensive coverage for a reason right
Old 03-23-2011, 11:03 AM
NTMD8

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Wow, that is crazy man! I really can't believe kids these days are still doing crazy stupid things like this.

I know reporting to police probably won't net anything, but should be done anyway.

Glad that everyone is ok.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,988 Likes on 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by B'sTL
Damn - you're good! Just got a message from the shop. Right now the estimate is right around 2K.

HOWEVER... INSURANCE IS PUTTING IN FOR AFTERMARKET GLASS for the rear.... the difference is around $600 per. You have to be kidding me - with all the money we pay for insurance!

HOW DO I FIGHT THIS??? I will not settle for anything other than original!!

PLEASE HELP!
Tell them that you want the car the way it was before the accident. OEM is OEM and aftermarket is aftermarket. There is a reason why it's cheaper and you will not settle for anything less than having it returned to the way it was. Be calm but firm and express your concerns.

Originally Posted by TLDude876
Just be hard on them and say you want your car with all the components just as is before it was damaged. They should cover the cost of the tint as well. Don't settle for less!
^agree, they should cover the cost of tint as well!
Old 03-23-2011, 11:29 AM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
WOW, sorry to hear that but thank god everyone was alright. Like a couple people said just fight (but politely at first) that you want your car how it was before. That's the whole point of paying for the insurance. You don't pay so that if something happens they are the ones who cut the corners and put cheaper stuff in that later down the road will mess up and then you are stuck paying for what the insurance company went cheap on. Fight for the tint to be paid for also. (If you went an illegal film though they may not but not sure what the laws are in your hometown for the rear window tint but I would definitely fight it)

-BTW glad everyone was alright but my problem would be if that happened to me I may have ended up getting in trouble by reversing and pulling my 45cal friend H&K out to help the situation. (which later I would probably end up regretting)
Old 03-23-2011, 11:44 AM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And here we go.. just got off the phone with the insurance agent.. basically he wouldn't budge on using anything but aftermarket glass b/c that's what is my policy. I told him it was ridiculous and wanted a supervisor's number. I just left a message with the supervisor. Not sure where this is going to go?

I'm pissed!
Old 03-23-2011, 11:58 AM
Intermediate

And the supervisor won't budge!!

F@#K!! I am pissed!
Old 03-23-2011, 12:14 PM
Chapter Leader (Houston)

Received 1,085 Likes on 810 Posts
That's effin BS, I'd get nasty and say I won't drive the car until I get an OEM glass replacement. Did you get a rental car?
Old 03-23-2011, 12:25 PM
Intermediate

I told him it's BS and I want the car back in the exact same condition as before - period! He still wouldn't budge. I told him my whole family is going to switch as soon as I get the car back and that our 6mth premium is more than the $600 difference in the glass prices. It's unreal that after going through such an effed-up thing they can't even help us out. It's not even a large claim to begin with!

I asked for another supervisor. Left her a message. She's back in the office tomorrow - so I'll have to wait and hear what she has to say.
Old 03-23-2011, 01:37 PM
horny =

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I told him it's BS and I want the car back in the exact same condition as before - period! He still wouldn't budge. I told him my whole family is going to switch as soon as I get the car back and that our 6mth premium is more than the $600 difference in the glass prices. It's unreal that after going through such an effed-up thing they can't even help us out. It's not even a large claim to begin with!

I asked for another supervisor. Left her a message. She's back in the office tomorrow - so I'll have to wait and hear what she has to say.
First glad you and your family are ok and can't imagine how dramatic it all must have been.

Second call the CEO of the insurance company. My friends laugh at me because if I have an issue I go to the top. You have to be relentless but many times they pass you off to higher ups who just want to get you off their work plate and since they were given the task by the top guy you can always follow back up with them if they do nothing. I have done this with Center Point, Amegy, Sprint, TXU and others. Email addresses, mailing address (certified), and phone numbers are pretty easy to come by.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:08 PM
Race Director

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,346 Posts
And here we go.. just got off the phone with the insurance agent.. basically he wouldn't budge on using anything but aftermarket glass b/c that's what is my policy. I told him it was ridiculous and wanted a supervisor's number. I just left a message with the supervisor. Not sure where this is going to go?

I'm pissed!
Well, you probably only have yourself to be pissed at if your policy clearly states aftermarket glass. RTFP.

Second, there are only a few aftermarket glass makers and they all seem to be of very high quality. I wouldn't sweat it at all, especially for the rear window. It's really not a big deal.

What aftermarket glass maker are they planning to use?
Old 03-23-2011, 04:10 PM

Received 1,162 Likes on 847 Posts
isnt there something in your policy that states what kind of parts are used? i think you have to pay more to get OEM parts....i think. at least thats how my insurance is.
Old 03-23-2011, 04:59 PM
[x] FWCC [x]

damm dude, if you want i can pass over my allstate agent's number dude. They will hook u up no questions asked. He even had someone pay for my fuked up bumper in an accident without going down in my record and i asked for how much i wanted to ask for. Let me know if you want the info. And i'm some what with nfnsquared, it also depends on which aftermarket maker you go to for a glass. I have a good place where you can also get an OEM glass for way much cheaper than retail price here in Queens, New York . They get their stuff from cars that has been totaled as well in which they still look brand new.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:02 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 84 Likes on 79 Posts
glad to hear u and ur fam are ok ... stupid kids ... neway ur insurance should cover it under comprehensive coverage, make sure u look at the trunk and stuff too to make sure the rock did not hit any of those areas ... good luck on ur repairs ... glad one of the kids got caught hopefully he rats the other ones out

Anyway when it comes to the glass oem/ aftermarket ... what aftermarket brand are they offering. If they give u aptech glass its the exact same as oem except it wont have acura stamped on it, ppg now pgw is also a great aftermarket glass that supplies oem glass. if its some other unknown brand, then turn it down, but one of the two i mentioned should be oem quality if not better IMO

Last edited by VQPower37; 03-23-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Old 03-23-2011, 05:44 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
any chance you can get the guy at the shop to help out in terms of getting you OEM glass??? ie explain the pros and cons blah blah blah.

when i had my bumper replaced, the shop guy talked to the adjustor after the insurance initially wanted to repair it. he explained why repairs on a bumper vs replacement aren't as good in the long term. after the initial estimate, the shop guy managed to get me a new bumper.

aren't there properties in OEM glass that aftermarket doesn't have (sound deadening)? or is that just the windshield??

i've had other parts replaced thru insurance, which the price could be negotiated when i wanted OEM. eh??
Old 03-23-2011, 05:50 PM
Race Director

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
....aren't there properties in OEM glass that aftermarket doesn't have (sound deadening)? or is that just the windshield??
Rear window is not acoustic glass, as far as I know.

The aftermarket guys make excellent quality acoustic windshields.

Originally Posted by TLtrigirl
i've had other parts replaced thru insurance, which the price could be negotiated when i wanted OEM. eh??
Really depends on how the policy is written.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:46 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
Originally Posted by nfnsquared
Rear window is not acoustic glass, as far as I know.

The aftermarket guys make excellent quality acoustic windshields.

Really depends on how the policy is written.
if that is the case....its not looking good. hmmm...also means OP will have to get tint replaced too. damn that fine print!
Old 03-24-2011, 01:38 AM
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Sorry to hear what happened OP. I'm glad everyone is safe and nobody was injured. Some kids these days are unbelieveable. Seems like common sense and morals aren't being taught to some of these people.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:56 AM
Pro

Reminds me of that kid who threw the frozen turkey off the overpass and smashed through the windshield and the woman who got hit needed extensive plastic surgery to fix her face. Glad you're OK and the family as well. A fraction of a second or inch or whatever and the outcome could have been horrifically different!

"Despite being warned not to do it, a State University of New York at Farmingdale student threw a frozen turkey from a moving vehicle on Nov 13/04. The impact of the frozen turkey critically injuried another driver who is now in rehab after extensive facial reconstruction. Charged with first-degree assault, reckless endangerment, criminal mischief, possession of stolen property and forgery, the student has been released on $250,000 cash bail. He faces a prison term of 5 to 25 years if convicted"

"Five Long Island teens who nearly killed a woman in a prank gone bad were arrested yesterday for throwing a 20-pound turkey through her windshield as she drove past their car , Suffolk County cops said.

The woman hit by the turkey is in critical condition at Stony Brook University Hospital, relatives said. She suffered "bleeding in her brain," as well as "a broken nose, broken cheekbone, broken jaw and possible damage to one of her eye sockets," the brother-in-law said.

Cushing was charged with first-degree assault, reckless endangerment, criminal mischief, and forgery, for allegedly buying the turkey with a stolen credit card."

Last edited by 218TL; 03-24-2011 at 02:58 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:12 AM
Intermediate

I'm going to call the supervisor that was out yesterday when I get a chance. I'm going to take a different approach and see if I can get her to really understand where I'm coming from. Basically here's what I'm going to say.. "the only thing that saved my daughter from serious injury - the only thing that was between my daughter and that piece of concrete was the glass. Please understand that will not feel comfortable with anything but that exact same glass." And I mean that. If they can't understand that there's something wrong with them!

I'll let you know what they say. What a pain!
Old 03-24-2011, 10:28 AM
Q('.')=O

Received 720 Likes on 520 Posts
Wow. Stupid kids! Throwing concrete chunks off a bridge onto a freeway? What the fuck do they think is going to happen?!!

#1 Also glad everyone in your family is ok. Let insurance deal with the car, they will make sure everything is taken care of.

#2 AWESOME that they caught one of the kids. Being 13, I'm sure the police can make him squeal and give the names of the other kids involved, and then make not only that one child's parents pay, but ALL of them.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:13 AM
Race Director

..... "the only thing that saved my daughter from serious injury - the only thing that was between my daughter and that piece of concrete was the glass. Please understand that will not feel comfortable with anything but that exact same glass." And I mean that. If they can't understand that there's something wrong with them!

I'll let you know what they say. What a pain!
Well, good luck, but there's nothing wrong with them. They know that aftermarket glass is manufactured and tested to the same ANSI standards as the OEM glass for less than half the price and that your daughter will be just as safe with the aftermarket glass installed.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:46 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
The insurance company will settle the claim for a specific amount.

You can go anywhere you want and get any parts you want, but the insurance will only cover the amount they settled for. Right now you're "negotiating" that settlement amount.

You can pay the cost difference if you choose a more expensive repair option.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:48 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's all in how the policy is written. If it says aftermarket, then thats 100% what your getting. I just went through this with a house fire claim with allstate. Thank god we had 100% replacement because allstate first came back with a quote of $180k to fix the house and I was able to get them up to $320k after I went line item by line item and found all the little ways they were trying to short us. Allstate is notorious getting out for as little as possible. If i were you I'd want Acura OEM too, even if I'd have to pay the difference. Chances are you won't be getting another rock through the rear window, but it's reassuring thinking of the car together as it was meant to be, especially because it's a couple of years old. Are you going to sue the kids' families?
Old 03-24-2011, 12:26 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
I would accept the OEM supplier of the rear window as long as it meets OEM spec. Unlike the front windshield, the rear is not acoustic glass. As long as it's as thick as stock you will be fine in the noise department. I went down this road with the front windshield once. They fought me so I let them put an aftermarket non acoustic windshield in. Then I complained about wind and road noise and pointed out a huge flaw in the glass that could block my vision and cause a wreck. I got it replaced within a week with OEM.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:45 PM
Intermediate

Right now it's a waiting game. The preliminary hearing is in a few weeks. I want to see how that plays out at court. I'd have to ask a lawyer, but I'm sure they would need to be found guilty before I could sue. It would probably be pointless to sue - unless it's proven which kid actually threw it. Otherwise it's "he said, she said" I would think.

Honestly I don't think the families have any money to sue for anyway. It happened in a low-income housing area.

Originally Posted by skibum
Are you going to sue the kids' families?
Old 03-24-2011, 12:46 PM
Intermediate

Very good to know - thank you!

Originally Posted by skibum
It's all in how the policy is written. If it says aftermarket, then thats 100% what your getting. I just went through this with a house fire claim with allstate. Thank god we had 100% replacement because allstate first came back with a quote of $180k to fix the house and I was able to get them up to $320k after I went line item by line item and found all the little ways they were trying to short us. Allstate is notorious getting out for as little as possible. If i were you I'd want Acura OEM too, even if I'd have to pay the difference. Chances are you won't be getting another rock through the rear window, but it's reassuring thinking of the car together as it was meant to be, especially because it's a couple of years old. Are you going to sue the kids' families?
Old 03-24-2011, 12:49 PM
Intermediate

I'll try and fight it a little more.. but maybe I should just agree to the aftermarket and look for any imperfections with a (very) close eye?

Originally Posted by I hate cars
I would accept the OEM supplier of the rear window as long as it meets OEM spec. Unlike the front windshield, the rear is not acoustic glass. As long as it's as thick as stock you will be fine in the noise department. I went down this road with the front windshield once. They fought me so I let them put an aftermarket non acoustic windshield in. Then I complained about wind and road noise and pointed out a huge flaw in the glass that could block my vision and cause a wreck. I got it replaced within a week with OEM.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:51 PM
Intermediate

I have my insurance through an independent agency here in town. The owner actually called me to be nice. He said he could help me out. He has a friend in the glass business that would get me a good deal on LOF or BBG glass. I'm not sure what that is exactly? But he said it was the exact glass as OEM - just without the Acura logo.

Anyone know anything about - or heard of this kind?
Old 03-24-2011, 01:11 PM
Team Owner

I'll try and fight it a little more.. but maybe I should just agree to the aftermarket and look for any imperfections with a (very) close eye?

I think that's the best route. Don't give up yet but if you lose, complain about any imperfection (there will be some) and turn it into a safety concern.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:28 PM
Race Director

... get me a good deal on LOF or BBG glass. I'm not sure what that is exactly? But he said it was the exact glass as OEM - just without the Acura logo.

LOF is Pilkington (don't know about them), but the other I believe is probably PPG, not BBG. It's a highly regarded aftermarket manufacturer and may be the largest AM glass supplier, not sure.

Last edited by nfnsquared; 03-24-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:43 PM
Team Owner

I have my insurance through an independent agency here in town. The owner actually called me to be nice. He said he could help me out. He has a friend in the glass business that would get me a good deal on LOF or BBG glass. I'm not sure what that is exactly? But he said it was the exact glass as OEM - just without the Acura logo.

Very possible. Acura does not make glass, they buy it from somewhere.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:58 PM
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Statefarm said that OEM glass would be used and when the mobile glass company came by I noticed that it was aftermarket. I stopped them and called my agent and he said that to let them put that glass on for now and they will put replace it once it comes in. The guys who were installing it said that it was manufactured in the same place as the OEM but has a different stamp. Anyway, when they came back to put the OEM glass on it I noticed there were a couple of imperfections...turned out the aftermarket one looked better. This was for a BMW.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:36 PM
Intermediate

HELL YEAH!!! Just got off the phone with the "higher up supervisor".. they are going to put the OEM glass in after all. She was extremely nice and VERY understanding. She mentioned the words 'valued customer' several times She also brought up the fact that she didn't see anything on the estimate about replacing the tint. Again - she was VERY nice and asked if I wanted the body shop to replace it, or if I wanted it to go somewhere else. I want the place that did it originally to put it in - so she said she would have the body shop set it up with them and have it all taken care of for me

After all this I can definitely say I'm very happy and glad that someone finally called and treated me with respect. It just goes to show that it's all about who you talk to. It was a battle - but worth it in the end.

Thanks for all the advice and kind words! Can't wait to get my ride back!
Old 03-24-2011, 03:39 PM
baller on a budget, b!tch

Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts
Very shitty that this happened to your baby, but damn happy that they caught the tardmuffin who had a hand in it.
Old 03-24-2011, 03:53 PM
Intermediate

i hate cars - just wanted to say the Grand National in your pic is bad ass!! Love those!
Old 03-24-2011, 04:53 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I work for an insurance company and handle auto claims.

At least in my state, we are required to provide so-called "LKQ" parts, which stands for Like Kind and Quality. For example, if a car is a 2004, we are required to replace with 2004 parts (even from a scrap yard). For newer cars or if used parts aren't available, aftermarket parts are OK.

However, whenever an insured demands OEM parts, we provide them. It's all just an effort to save money - just like in any other industry. On the other hand, if a claimant (a non-customer) demands OEM parts, we tell them to go pound sand.

As far as holding the responsible parties responsible, if you give your insurance company all of the info you have on the perpetrator(s), trust me when I say they will go to the utmost lengths to collect from them.

We have an entire department devoted to the identification of and collection from the responsible parties. If all efforts fail, we turn them over to a sleazy collections agency.

Ideally, you will get your deductible back and the insurance company will recover what they have paid out.

Glad you and your family are OK!! If you have any insurance-related questions, please feel free to PM me.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:59 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
just say this WOW that blows ass OP
Old 03-24-2011, 05:52 PM

Received 5,880 Likes on 2,898 Posts
Originally Posted by BG74
I work for an insurance company and handle auto claims.

At least in my state, we are required to provide so-called "LKQ" parts, which stands for Like Kind and Quality. For example, if a car is a 2004, we are required to replace with 2004 parts (even from a scrap yard). For newer cars or if used parts aren't available, aftermarket parts are OK.

However, whenever an insured demands OEM parts, we provide them. It's all just an effort to save money - just like in any other industry. On the other hand, if a claimant (a non-customer) demands OEM parts, we tell them to go pound sand.

As far as holding the responsible parties responsible, if you give your insurance company all of the info you have on the perpetrator(s), trust me when I say they will go to the utmost lengths to collect from them.

We have an entire department devoted to the identification of and collection from the responsible parties. If all efforts fail, we turn them over to a sleazy collections agency.

Ideally, you will get your deductible back and the insurance company will recover what they have paid out.

Glad you and your family are OK!! If you have any insurance-related questions, please feel free to PM me.
Subrogation against the party at fault - always let the insurance company handle it. They know how to deal with the hassles.
Old 03-28-2011, 07:44 PM
[x] FWCC [x]

I'm glad it worked out for u man!
Old 03-28-2011, 08:41 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
First of all, I thank God you and your family are okay. It could have been so much worse. Second, I'm glad your insurance company came around and honored your request for OEM parts and tint.

Once here locally they were having trouble with with teens throw bricks off a bridge on I-295. Killed at least one person. Not sure if they caught them but they did put up chain link fences on all the overpasses. Hopefully this will be taken care of in like manner. Hope the kid that was caught will finger the others with him. I'm sure it will all work out, sorry you're having to go through this ordeal.

Quick Reply: Punks Threw Large Rock From Overpass On Top My Type S!!