Prevent Further Rust?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2016, 02:15 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Prevent Further Rust?

Hey Acurazine, my 2004 Acura TL 5AT is beginning to show some spots for rust. I can see some slight bubbling under the paint on the corners of my roof and some tiny spots around the quarter panel areas. Also under my back seat driver side door.
I touched up some of those spots with some white rust proof paint and I'm afraid it'll spread further. I do wash my car every 2 weeks and currently it's the winter. I don't know how much it has been rust proofed from the previous owner but yeah. Anyone having signs of rust? I plan to keep this car for another two years. It has 256000 KM on the odometer. Should I go and pay for a rust proofing treatment? What shall I do?
Old 01-07-2016, 06:21 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
If it's rusting from the inside out, it will be a daunting task to get it under control. Not familiar with rust problems on the TL, especially if the car has had no body/paint work, but not much you can do unless a lot of money is spent. Paint needs to be removed from the rust areas to see metal condition, then either the rust can be removed by sanding/cutting out, prepped, then repainted. Unless it's completely removed, it will surely return.
Personally I hate rust.

Maybe 3 years ago, the daughter's 2k Maxima, she's had for 14 years, showed signs of rust on the front of the wheel wheel, R/S qtr. I cut it out, welded a new piece in, prepped, painted, and sprayed Por 15 on the inner panels . It has been fined, but now the rear portion is gone and the L/S qtr has rust coming through. Never ending. She's getting another car, so Dad won't be doing any more work, at least on this car.
Old 01-07-2016, 08:27 AM
Chapter Leader
(Northeast Florida)

Received 1,652 Likes on 1,117 Posts
Yeah rust sucks. Nothing will help it unless you completely remove it from the metal. That means taking the paint down to metal, grinding out the rust, and then sealing it again.