Power steering recall

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 01:29 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had it happen on my older TL, and my trucks power steering snapped. Luckily i was drivign local and was making a slow right turn. It was horrible. Seriously, ive driven a car without PS before, but man this truck was insanely hard to drive. My point is that, how often should i changed the PS fluid?? any brands beside OEM ones?
Old 11-09-2009, 03:44 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by scurvymurvy
i had it happen on my older TL, and my trucks power steering snapped. Luckily i was drivign local and was making a slow right turn. It was horrible. Seriously, ive driven a car without PS before, but man this truck was insanely hard to drive. My point is that, how often should i changed the PS fluid?? any brands beside OEM ones?
Stay with the OEM brand. Not sure about frequency of change. I think the TSB talked about replacing it if the color is dark brown or something.
Old 11-09-2009, 06:48 PM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
if you wanna check if the recall has been serviced or not, call us at (800)382-2238 option #4.

I work for AHM and we can find out for you in a matter of seconds.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:03 PM
Instructor

Just got my car back from the dealership. No charge. I showed them my research when I brough it in. The recall was done on my car in June 2008. The TSB (07-060) was updated in April 2009 and clearly states that some vehicles affected by TSB 08-016 recall were not correctly repaired and that the O ring was not replaced. This was the case for my car as the O ring was black and not orange.
Old 11-10-2009, 03:49 PM
Fire/medic

I changed my O ring today and everything is working fine now. No more noise on cold starts...
Old 11-11-2009, 11:02 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
Register your TL here:

www.myacura.com

You should be able to pull up the recalls on that site and see if your TL has been done.

Or you can call your dealer and give them the VIN to check on recalls for you.

I have an account and my car is added, but can't find where to see the recall info on the website...can anyone point me in the right direction?
Old 12-14-2009, 10:15 AM
1st Gear

Smile Power steering noise

My power steering was making a terrible noise when I started the car in cold conditions. Just replaced the O-ring this morning and the problem is gone. Hard to beleive a little o-ring could be the cause of all of that noise.

My dealeship had trouble figuring out the exact o-ring I needed. The correct part number is: 91345-RDA-A01.
It cost me $1.52.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:20 PM
Safety Car

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
yeah I noticed the loud sound last week when starting for the first time and when turning the wheel. Acura told me it was the power steering and was repaired for free (replaced O-ring) under the recall.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:34 PM
4th Gear

Power Steering Noise

Yeah mine started about a week ago as soon as temps went below 40 degrees here in NC. I wasn't sure what to do, but it seems like my serpentine belt is making mad noise, but I guess if every1 is having probs with the PS, then that must be it
Old 12-15-2009, 12:28 AM
Cruisin'

want a permanent solution?

Originally Posted by ALPurdue
I bought an '05 TL a couple weeks ago. This morning, my power steering was quite a bit louder than it's been, which led me to do some reading on it. I came across the info on last year's recall for the power steering hose. Is there a way that I can tell if the hose has been replaced? i.e. is there a way to differentiate between the original hose and the new one?

yes, i'm aware of your concern. and unfortunately, this car did not obtain its original pump after the issues started.

after replacement, and its a factory rebuild,which is noisier than the original one.

having found the underlying source of the problem after diagnosing it, i've came up with a part that off of another honda that will cure the problem.

although dealer may change the seals and provide a temporary fix... get yourself a permanent one by finding a aluminum power steering pump return neck off of a older honda accord/prelude or similar.

the reason the power steering pump is noisy is due to the two different materials( metal on plastic) used. the expansion/contraction rates are different, causing air to enter thru the lines by the seals... and as the seals harden over time, and the weather getting colder, this becomes more prone to failure.

i've pulled... well, not quite. i had a power steering pump sitting around from my very very old gutted prelude i raced. so i used that p/s return neck...even after a reman p/s unit and new seals. but after i replaced with that part, the problem went away completely and did not re-occur on the new unit. sadly i have to deal with the new unit not being as whisper quiet as the original one...

if you've gotta ask what year to find that part... just go to a wrecking yard. honda hasn't changed much in power steering design. problem only starts when cars are assembled here and production costs are cut by using cheaper parts and materials...
you know the results!

i've never had ANY noisy-failure p/s problems in my prior honda's.

hope this is useful...maybe someone wanna make this a sticky for the community???
Old 12-15-2009, 12:34 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by trapat
My power steering was making a terrible noise when I started the car in cold conditions. Just replaced the O-ring this morning and the problem is gone. Hard to beleive a little o-ring could be the cause of all of that noise.

My dealeship had trouble figuring out the exact o-ring I needed. The correct part number is: 91345-RDA-A01.
It cost me $1.52.

nice... but NOT a cure!

they're putting a new o-ring back on the plastic return neck thats the reason for this failure.

man, i'd be making money off this if i was still wrenching on honda's...can't believe no tech's see this!