Possible Alert. Dead Battery

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2005, 11:10 AM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
I doubt you would see anything in the Service Manual about this.. I also have a copy and have not seen anything related to this "problem".

While I suppose anything's possible, I strongly suspect that the flatlined display is a cause and not a symptom simply because the battery dies so quickly after a flatlined display occurs.. and stays. Last week, my TL sat for 5 days before being started (Friday to Wednesday) and on Tuesday evening, I checked the battery voltage. It read 12.48 volts which is fine. And, of course, the display was operating normally. When my display failed, my battery was dead in 5 days.
Old 01-30-2005, 03:10 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
El Lobo

I tried the link to, "Optima" batteries and they do not currently have a battery for an '04 TL.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by El Lobo
I tried the link to, "Optima" batteries and they do not currently have a battery for an '04 TL.

dude

they DO have one that will fit the TL, it is not listed on the site however
call the 800#
Old 01-31-2005, 10:34 AM
Instructor

I agree that it must be something related to the temperature gauge flat lining. I have an early 2004 and I have left my trunk open overnight to air it out. Even with the light in the
trunk on all night the car still started right up in the morning
Old 01-31-2005, 10:48 AM
Instructor

I have an 05...no temp display means one of the processors is stuck in a loop and "thinks" all the time, even with the car off. So after a day or two it will crank slow, 3-4 days DEAD! I spoke with a Honda engineeer who called me investigating the issue. I took it to the dealer and an engineer is flying out to look at the car, since this problem was supposed to be fixed for 05.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:13 AM
PTN
Instructor

Originally Posted by El Lobo
call Remy Battery. they are very helpfull.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:15 AM
Instructor

Take it to the dealer, when they do a search for the issue on an 05 they will get a "request for visit" from the engineering. Let them know if the battery has been disconnected, it will clear some of the codes and should get your display back...
Old 02-03-2005, 08:51 PM
Team Secretary of Housing

temp flat line problem too!

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy
BTW, I did a bit of a writeup last fall about this very issue.. you might want to search it out. If your outside temperature display goes flatline again, either pull number 7 and/or 21 fuses (I think those are right.. your search should find this), or pull the negative battery cable for about 3-5 seconds.

While the Service Manual gives steps to reset the temperature display for accuracy, check out what I did. I works great and is quite accurate.

Again, the culprit is the temperature display going flatline.
SouthernBoy you are correct about the real culprit. Mine went flat line a couple of weeks ago and I called the dealer only to find my advisor out that day. I then got busy with other stuff and today walked out to a dead battery. I told the service guys about the problem with the temp. and of course they had no knowledge of anyone with a similar problem. Even called corp. support guys and they too had no knowledge. How does this thing happen to multiple TL owners on this forum, but Acura has no knowledge of its existance.
I will place a call to my Service mgr. within the next few days and hopefully get some answers.
As far as the problem itself, it seems to disappear with the jumpstart and also
with the new battery. Time will tell how long it will be good for though. Take note if you go flat line as SouthernBoy stated, either remove the fuses, the battery terminal cable or get to the dealer asap (within days not weeks) to save a hassle.
Bruce
Old 02-06-2005, 02:50 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
The reason they know little or nothing about this is because once we charge the battery or jump-start the car, the problem goes away.. the display works again. So there's no need to take the car in for service.

Now as for Acura service, when my problem first occurred, I very crudgingly and agonizingly made an appointment to have the problem serviced after my September vacation. 36 hours before I was scheduled to get on the road, my battery turned up dead as a door nail. So I jump-started the engine using a battery charger, then after driving it for about 20 minutes, I began a slow charge for the next 20+ hours. Early the next morning (a Sunday, we left for our vacation). The next day (Monday) I made a long distance call to the dealer to cancel my appointment and guess what? THEY DIDN'T EVEN HAVE ME IN THE SYSTEM FOR AN APPOINTMENT. So I suppose if I would have shown up on my scheduled day, I would have been turned away because they would not have had a record of me having made the initial appointment.

So much for Acura service. Anyway, I am SO glad I did not have to take my car into those people. Once I buy a new car, I try never to take it back if it can be helped.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:23 PM
Racer

Well I have this issue in my new 05 TL too. I noticed that I have had it happen 5 times in three weeks. I originally thought it to be my dvd player the culprit. I have the NAVI conversion and my dvd player is hard wired to the battery and remains "on" but even though the dvd player is off it keeps its memory when i restart the car. Well after reading this and another thread I have to say that this flatlining of the temperature gauge might be it.

I have an aftermarket battery in my TL since I have a pretty big system and the DVD / NAVI conversion and mine still dies. Mine however happens within a day or even last night it was 14 hours and my battery died. It might not help that my TL has the DVD player attached as well, but this is the 5th time and i have to get a jump everytime.

I now try and at least start my car every 10 hours or so just so that it doesn't die on me.

Anyone gotten any resolution to this from ACURA??

Ryan
Old 03-04-2005, 07:03 AM
Team Anthracite Member

Finally went in for Tranny recall and while there I told them how my battery had lost its charge (no flat line temp guage or anything) 3 times. Sure enough, they replaced it - reason: it Failed during the Load test.

I see no "eye" on the new battery like you guys also noticed. So far it has been great. Just to prove my theory in earlier thread about using tire pump and never having any probs with my '02, I may try it again on the '04 with the new battery and see how this one reacts. My old one drained very quickly...now I know why.

Anyway, just wanted to confirm that there are definately some failing batteries out there and they will replace it no questions asked.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:17 AM
Instructor

Not sure if this was mentioned, but for those of you that travel, more in cold temps., I would recommend a portable battery jumper. I bought one after my car, not a TL, died and I had to call AAA, not a big deal. It is a great life saver, has an air pump and two outlets on it. Hell I even have MRE's in my car, little paranoid I guess. Just like to be prepared for the worst.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:25 AM
Team Nighthawk MechE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hank1105
Not sure if this was mentioned, but for those of you that travel, more in cold temps., I would recommend a portable battery jumper. I bought one after my car, not a TL, died and I had to call AAA, not a big deal. It is a great life saver, has an air pump and two outlets on it. Hell I even have MRE's in my car, little paranoid I guess. Just like to be prepared for the worst.
Not at all man. Brand new car and I still have all kinda safety stuff in there. You never know wtf is gonna happen here or there. Why not be safe? Being an emt/ff, I use to Boyscout motto as well, always be prepared!
Old 10-14-2005, 01:16 PM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

anyone know what model/type of battery the 05' TL's takes? I have an optima yellowtop from my last acura integra (51R), and i would like to put it in here for my sound system that im putting in. thanks!
Old 10-14-2005, 02:55 PM
2005 Acura TL w/ Navi

Nevermind! i just called autozone and they said the Optima YellowTop D35's fit just fine
They run around $109