Popping sound when turning

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010 | 02:21 PM
2nd Gear

Popping sound when turning

Hello Forum,
I'm a newbie and this is my first post. I bought a 07 TLS that just turned 10K miles. My question is when I back up or sometimes make a turn, I hear this popping noise, which sounds like its coming from the right front location. I tried to do a search, but couldn't find what I thought it might be. Could it be a bad joint or something of the equiv.? Its almost like something is in a bind, then pops out and then its fine.
Old 05-13-2010 | 07:51 PM
Racer

My first guess would be a bad CV joint. No big deal. Get it fixed sooner than later. When they fail, it's not fun. It'll be covered under warranty. If you want to know for sure, just turn the wheel all the way to the right and look at the rubber boots on either end of the passenger side axle. One is probably torn. And there'll be grease all over the place. Might try to get 'em to clean that off when they do the axle, since it's warranty work.

An 07 with 10k miles? Lucky!
Old 05-13-2010 | 10:58 PM
Cruisin'

Hey bud and Welcome to Acurazine! I am still having a similar problem like you. I bought my car over a year ago (06TL5A) and when I would turn the wheel all the way to the left or right, it would make a loud cliking sound like something is slipping or getting caught up. I noticed it only does it under load while *both* wheels are touching the ground. When either one is lifted or when both are on loose dirt or slick surface it does not exhibit the noise...

I researched the problem and found that it could be Tie-rods or the CV Joint. The 3GTL's have a history of CV Boots cracking/tearing and dirt drying them out. Here's what I did. I had both Driver and passenger Inner and Outer Tie-Rods Replaced. Both Driver and PAssenger Half-shaft axles replaced. To what outcome? Its still making the noise. My worst fear is confirmed. I believe its the Rack from the steering. Hopefully your issue is not as mine is but I hope it helped you out. Try lifting either side up and turning the wheel as i did. if you want I can email a sound clip of the noise to see if they are the same. If it is the same noise and does the same as my car with it lifted on either side or slick surface, then it could save you sum money on fixing it.

The rack is only about 250 I think. I have spent more than that on the Tie-Rods and Half-Shafts....
Old 05-17-2010 | 03:14 PM
Cruisin'

Like shadow said it sounds like a CV joint in your drive axle.
Old 05-19-2010 | 03:09 PM
10th Gear

Had same problem; caused by bad rack

This exact problem happened to me two years and about 60,000 miles ago.

Turning the steering wheel at low speeds (parking lots,etc.) a knock/pop noise was happening. My warranty was a few hundred miles from expiring so I brought it to the dealer. They reproduced the problem and replaced the power steering rack. It was covered by the warranty so I am not sure what it would cost outside the warranty, but the dealer that fixed it had the car for about a week and a half.

They (McGrath Acura of Morton Grove, IL) are a very busy service center and I don't know whether that means they turn over service jobs quickly. It's my assumption that they prioritize quicker jobs (maintenance) over the longer jobs (transmissions, power steering racks, etc) so they don't have to give somebody a loaner for a three day oil change if they suddenly get busier than normal.

Sorry I didn't have better news...