Popping noise after lowering tilt steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 05:48 PM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Popping noise after lowering tilt steering wheel

I know a fair amount about repairs, but I can't figure this out.
I just bought an '06 TL with a 6 speed. It was the only manual I could find in my area, so I jumped on it. It is in perfect condition outside and, aside from the light wear on the drivers seat, perfect inside. I have looked at the history of the car and have all the maintenance records. It seemed great.

Now, I just adjusted the tilt steering wheel to lower it. It was originally at the top most position. When I lowered it, it pops when I turn it in either direction. It happens at about 45 degrees from top center in both directions. The noise disappears when I bring the tilt steering wheel to the top position. The noise is a loud popping, like something snapping. I can feel it on the steering wheel. I have already checked the bushings and joints on the suspension before i bought it, and it is not coming from outside the car. The car had a new rack and pinion installed prior to sale (receipts and visual conformation). I replaced the O-ring on the power steering pump intake. The drivers side lower control arm was replace before i bought it, too; worn bushing (receipts and visual confirmation). It was inspected at the shop I work at before I bought it. All problems were fixed by the dealer and reinspected by an ASE certified mechanic at my shop. He can't figure out what is causing the popping either. He said it could be a collapsed steering column. That would only happen in an accident. No accidents were reported and the paint is original.

What could be causing it? Anyone else have this issue? How can I repair it?
Old 06-19-2012, 06:09 PM
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Hi there,

Does this happen after a cold start of the engine (first time you start the car during the day), while parked, or while driving and does it happen every time when the steering wheel is in this position?
Old 06-19-2012, 06:42 PM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,915 Likes on 14,457 Posts
This might be a LOT simpler than that...have you taken a flashlight (NOT FLESHLIGHT!!!) and looked under the driver kick panel. I'm betting previous owner tiewrapped something to the steering assembly that it only hits when you lower the wheel...

Don't ask me how I know this...
Old 06-19-2012, 06:44 PM
Advanced

It happens all the time. It is independent of engine and air temp. It happens while driving, standing still, and all the time. It goes away completely if I adjust the tilt steering to the top position. Anytime the steering wheel is turned to about 45-90 degrees in either direction and the tilt steering is not in the top most position, it happens. It is a single pop at a certain point in the turn. It is not wheel bearings, ball joint, or bushing. They have been checked. It is inside the steering column.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:50 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by rockstar143
This might be a LOT simpler than that...have you taken a flashlight (NOT FLESHLIGHT!!!) and looked under the driver kick panel. I'm betting previous owner tiewrapped something to the steering assembly that it only hits when you lower the wheel...

Don't ask me how I know this...
I suspect the same thing. I will take out the panel. Looking at the steering column is a PITA. I wanted to see if this was something another owner experienced before.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:12 PM

Dude, the bottom panel is 2 clips nearest YOU and the rest just drops down and out...then sit on the ground outside the car and position yourself sideways and look up.

I have a feeling it'll take more time to reply than to solve your problem. OR, get a phonebook to sit on and just keep the wheel in the highest position!
The following users liked this post:
newkatbie (06-19-2012)
Old 06-19-2012, 07:42 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Not sure if this might be it or not, but we had what sounds similar to what you are describing on our MDX. Dealer diagnosed it as "steering column U-Joint out of center." The repair order also says "recentered U-Joint" and problem resolved. I don't know what exactly they did, but the problem went away.
The following users liked this post:
newkatbie (06-19-2012)
Old 06-19-2012, 09:03 PM

^^^well if my easy fix doesn't work...then that sounds very plausible.

Now short of us driving over to your place to look for you, there's not much more we can do for you. Take a look and let us know what it ends up being!
Old 06-19-2012, 09:14 PM
Advanced

Dude, the bottom panel is 2 clips nearest YOU and the rest just drops down and out...then sit on the ground outside the car and position yourself sideways and look up.

I have a feeling it'll take more time to reply than to solve your problem. OR, get a phonebook to sit on and just keep the wheel in the highest position!
Lol. Im 6'1". No need for phone books. The steering wheel blocks the view to the speedo. They love to give tickets where i live. I will check it out Thursday. Thanks.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:16 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by NBP04TL4ME
Not sure if this might be it or not, but we had what sounds similar to what you are describing on our MDX. Dealer diagnosed it as "steering column U-Joint out of center." The repair order also says "recentered U-Joint" and problem resolved. I don't know what exactly they did, but the problem went away.
I'll check that out. I've never worked on steering, but I will look it up to see if it is the problem.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:17 PM
Advanced

^^^well if my easy fix doesn't work...then that sounds very plausible.

Now short of us driving over to your place to look for you, there's not much more we can do for you. Take a look and let us know what it ends up being!
I just needed ideas on what to look at.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:30 PM

I feel ya...6'1" here too...
Hope it's an easy fix!
Old 06-19-2012, 10:35 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 831 Likes on 679 Posts
As they replaced the rack, maybe:

Steering Feels Notchy? Check the U-Joint Phasing
Currently Applies To: All models with telescopic steering
Got a vehicle with notchy steering? (When you turn the steering wheel, it feels smooth, then hard, then smooth, then hard again.) If your answer is YES, then the steering column U-joints could be out of phase. This usually happens when the subframe is removed with the steering rack still attached and the pinion shaft isn’t disconnected from the steering column shaft. When you go to remove the subframe, the lower U-joint pulls completely from the shaft.
Since the angles of the steering column shaft and the steering rack are different by design, the relationship of the upper and lower U-joints is critical to ensure smooth steering. If the lower U-joint isn’t reinstalled just right, you’ll wind up with this problem.
To fix it, just line up the white paint marks on the lower U-joint and steering column shaft. If there aren’t any paint marks, find a known-good vehicle and follow these steps:
1. Find and project the center lines of the upper and lower U-joints onto the steering column shaft.
2. Measure the offset by counting the number of splines between those two center lines.
3. Line up the lower U-joint of the vehicle you’re working on to match that offset.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:19 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
^+1 This and what I mentioned above. We had what I would describe as a click or notch feeling when we turned the wheel about 180 degrees off center and in either direction.
Old 06-20-2012, 08:33 PM

Turbonut, I'm mechanically inclined and you just made me go "fk that, I'd take it to the dealer".

I have a feeling if OP was overwhelmed with looking under the driver kick panel, he won't be tackling this himself.
Old 08-19-2012, 07:45 PM
Advanced

I found the cause. It is the second intermediate shaft. It is popping.
Here is the video:

Old 08-19-2012, 09:16 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
The U joint is right below there, that's most likely your problem as it was suggested. The angle of the steering shaft changes as you tilt the steering wheel and the u-joint is the only thing that makes sense, since it's the only thing affected by the angle change by design.