Poor Suspension Performance

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 03:09 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Poor Suspension Performance

I have a major concern with my 06 TL (AT). The suspension is dangerously soft. While driving on the highway, there is no feeling for the road, lane changing is dangerous because of body roll, and there is even more body roll during turns. This should not be normal. My sister has a 01 TL (AT) and her 6 year old car handles exponentially better than my 1 year old car.

I took the car to the dealership twice and they have said that the suspension is normal, and that this is the number one complaint about the car. They offered a suspension upgrade and wheel package (basically what comes on the TL-Type S) for about $5,000.

I have inquired about suspension upgrades (aftermarket), and that would cost me about the same.

I am seriously thinking of selling the car.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:32 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 832 Likes on 679 Posts
If you have the Bridgestone Turanza EL42 tires on the car, I'd start there by getting some quality 245/45-17 HP All Season tires e.g. Yokohama W4S.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:52 AM
2005TL(6MT)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Did you test drive the car before you bought it? If you did you must be driving it much harder now (probably like most of us).

Don't sell the car! It's a great car and it handles very different with a new suspension and Rear SwayBar. Both for much less then the $5,000.

I came from a CL Type-S and also wanted a firmer ride than the stock TL. I've done both the RSB and A-Spec suspension shortly after buying the car. I paid about $125 and $700, respectfully, and did the installation myself. Even having them professionally installed it shouldn't add more than another $800.

If you do a search you will find more reading then you can do in one sitting. You may want to take a test drive in a TL A-Spec so you know exactly what to expect (same RSW as stock). If it's still not what you want you'll better understand the comparisons you found in your search results.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 10-21-2007, 09:34 AM
94 DC4 RS LSV/Turbo

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
The first thing as clsdave mentioned is to upgrade the sway bar... it is a very cheap upgrade which retails for $125-140, it will significantly reduce that soft feeling you get when you switch lanes abrubtly, another upgrade that you should consider is removing the spare tire and all its components from your trunk as it really helps in the way the rear will carry itself...

and of course there is the suspensions upgrade, which firmly depends on your budget. There are a few ways to go with this so I will detail them as follows

Simple Step - Springs
Many companies make springs for our cars such Eibach, Tein, H&R, Skunk2, Comptech
These will retail for $165-$300

A little more - Struts (requires spring upgrade)
Many peope on this forum will attest to the drive of Koni Yellows (retail $600-650)

All in one - Coilovers
Coilovers are the best way to get adjustible ride height and stiffness all in one... Tein, H&R and Nex make some of the coilovers many forum members have chosen, expect to pay $600-1100 depending on which package you would like

Finally there is the FWD dilemma, FWD cars will always be outhandled by RWD and AWD, I am not going to tell you to sell your car, but if you aren't happy how it handles maybe you'd like a change... A g37 or a g35x are priced around the same comfortably equiped... Me I'd get an Evo x (coming in 08)
Old 10-21-2007, 02:39 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,102 Likes on 763 Posts
Try this FIRST...

Originally Posted by asifrafi
I have a major concern with my 06 TL (AT). The suspension is dangerously soft. While driving on the highway, there is no feeling for the road, lane changing is dangerous because of body roll, and there is even more body roll during turns. This should not be normal. My sister has a 01 TL (AT) and her 6 year old car handles exponentially better than my 1 year old car.
Your description sounds like a specific tire problem rather than a stock suspension set-up issue, esp. since the 3G TL is firmer and rolls less than prior generations. Don't start replacing things until you take (or have taken) the following (cheaper) steps:

1) Check your tire pressure with a known accurate gauge- if it is lower than 35F/32R (like 30F/30R), that would explain your handling problems.
Inflate the tires to 36F/33R WHEN THEY ARE COLD and see if that improves your handling. Use the TPMS readings only within 2-5 minutes of starting the car; otherwise it will read hot rather than "COLD" tire pressure.

2) If the inflation is not an issue, check the alignment and tires themselves-- have the car put on a lift so a (competent) tech can look/feel the inside as well as the outside shoulders for bubbles or evidence of belt separation if the alignment is correct. If the tire treads are feathering or uneven at the front, rear or both, the alignment is off. Alignment issues will change the feel and stability of the car, but not the amount of roll.

3) Although unusual, have the techs look for failed bushings in the suspension and anti-sway bar mounts.

4) Try driving another 3G TL at a dealer (preferably 2004-2006, but not the Type-S or A-Spec, which have firmer suspensions) to see if it handles the same way as your car. If it handles the same as your car, the 3G TL is not the car for you.

G/L!
Old 10-21-2007, 10:50 PM
13.2@ 107 on Street tires

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I wouldnt waste your money on the a-spec the suspension..close to $1000 for the OEM when you can get some nicer H&Rs for around $200...sounds like tire issues to me..if not you need a RSB..i can reccomend progress
Old 10-22-2007, 01:59 AM
I have car ADD

Received 51 Likes on 38 Posts
i think its just the acura OEM suspension....its soft to provide a "comfortable ride"... sounds like he wants sportier

my TL-S is still pretty stock on the suspension/tires and feels very floaty.... my old TL w/ teins & rsb is a solid, sturdy ride... (especially on a 5AT)
Old 10-22-2007, 09:37 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Mine has a lot of bodyroll. Doesn't make it dangerous and it doesn't mean it corners bad. I killed my friend's IS350 in the corners. I would like a little less too and will probably be going with adjustable Konis soon. With my upgraded tires it will hit the bumpstops in a very hard corner which makes handling a little unpredictable but that requires a level of cornering I would never take it to on regular streets with other cars around.
Old 10-15-2013, 11:07 PM
Drifting

Received 167 Likes on 147 Posts
+1 for floaty TL suspensions. haha
Old 10-16-2013, 08:40 AM
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
get some aftermarket springs or coilovers for a stiffer/sportier ride and some all season tires. you should notice the difference after
Old 10-16-2013, 11:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,655 Likes on 6,680 Posts
Holy 6 year thread revival Chad..! CMON!
The following users liked this post:
TLtrigirl (10-19-2013)
Old 10-16-2013, 11:30 AM
Drifting

I'm just making notes of all the possible fixes.. ie. Tire pressure, alignment, something wrong with my suspension, shocks, springs, camber problem.. haha
Old 10-16-2013, 12:04 PM
Drifting

But this what people say on azine, they say SEARCH... or they say, THAT'S ALREADY BEEN DISCUSSED.. and then when you find it after searching for it, in which some people say NOBODY SEARCHES ANYMORE,, nevertheless after you find it and then post on that thread, someone says HEY THIS IS AN OLD THREAD. I think aziners need to have their head examined. You cant have it both way. Either the topic is going to be older or current. Odds are you wont find the right topic that has just the right amount of age on it. So, with all that being said, WHATS IT TO YA? Its not like this is costing you any bit money. Haha

Last edited by Chad05TL; 10-16-2013 at 12:07 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:12 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by asifrafi

I took the car to the dealership twice and they have said that the suspension is normal, and that this is the number one complaint about the car. They offered a suspension upgrade and wheel package (basically what comes on the TL-Type S) for about $5,000.

I have inquired about suspension upgrades (aftermarket), and that would cost me about the same.

I am seriously thinking of selling the car.
Did you just recently get this car? If you've had this car, when did you feel the difference? The TL stock suspension actually rides more sporty than a lot of the other sport sedans. Are you also experiencing a lot of bouncing when going over bumps? Are you sure your shocks aren't shot out? Are you even thinking about lowering your car? I don't think you need to go with a whole new suspension unless your springs and/or shocks are bad.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 301 Likes on 258 Posts
^I don't think OP recently got the car. This thread is from 2007 /
Old 10-19-2013, 07:04 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad05TL
But this what people say on azine, they say SEARCH... or they say, THAT'S ALREADY BEEN DISCUSSED.. and then when you find it after searching for it, in which some people say NOBODY SEARCHES ANYMORE,, nevertheless after you find it and then post on that thread, someone says HEY THIS IS AN OLD THREAD. I think aziners need to have their head examined. You cant have it both way. Either the topic is going to be older or current. Odds are you wont find the right topic that has just the right amount of age on it. So, with all that being said, WHATS IT TO YA? Its not like this is costing you any bit money. Haha
I search all the time and I take mental notes but I don't feel the need to bring up 6yr old threads to show everyone I'm searching. You have one of your own on this topic that you abandoned. You have at least 3 very old threads on the topic you've brought up with comments like "+1 for floaty TL suspensions ha ha". It's not constructive or trying to get to the bottom of things, it's bringing old shit up to be annoying. You already know the problem is in your alignment as discussed in the many other threads. You have a plan of action already. Do you have a point in bringing up these threads with these weird comments?
The following 5 users liked this post by I hate cars:
EvilVirus (10-19-2013), paperboy42190 (10-21-2013), Slpr04UA6 (10-20-2013), thoiboi (10-25-2013), TLtrigirl (10-19-2013)