Plz help! Battery keeps dying (ive tried the obvious)

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 12:37 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Plz help! Battery keeps dying (ive tried the obvious)

Hey guys,

This is my 2nd or 3rd thread here about this issue.

Background: 2005 Acura TL, about 130,000 miles

Problem: If I don't drive my car for 2-3 days and come back to it, it is typically completely dead. Sometimes it'll work, but oftentimes the car is all the way dead or some lights are on but I can't start it.

Temp solution: I have to jump start my car everytime this happens, which fixes it (temporarily).

Things I've tried:
- put in a brand new battery
- disconnected the hands-free bluetooth link
- disconnected remote start

Random tidbit: there's a quarter stuck in the CD player tray, i don't know if this is relevant at all. just throwing it out there

I took it to a mechanic, they ran the diagnostic on it and said they found the power drain (the remote start). The mechanic told me he disconnected it and I should be all good to go. Cost me $100. Car worked fine, i parked it, came back a few days later - dead again. I went back to the mechanic, he said that's the only issue he saw and said he couldnt do anything else.

What else could be the problem!? This has been happening to me on and off for a year now - any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 08-15-2017, 03:11 PM
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 60 Posts
Normally when a vehicle like you describe comes into the shop, our methodology for repair is to:

Disconnect the positive battery cable

Install an amp gauge between battery and positive battery cable

Keep pulling fuses until the amp gauge reads zero

Make good notes for which fuses goes where.

There will be some circuits that will be always on, but they won’t be drawing very much amperage.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:21 PM
Instructor

I dont have any info on this but if you manage to solve this issue please update us
Old 08-15-2017, 03:58 PM
Advanced

Another tidbit I forgot to add

The panel that displays the time and other info is always going in and out, I have to smack it for it to look right but most of the time it kind of fades away. do you think this could possibly be it - and if so, which fuse would control this?
Old 08-15-2017, 04:33 PM
Race Director

Received 2,316 Likes on 1,690 Posts
Originally Posted by kliqzero
Another tidbit I forgot to add

The panel that displays the time and other info is always going in and out, I have to smack it for it to look right but most of the time it kind of fades away. do you think this could possibly be it - and if so, which fuse would control this?
Unfortunately, that's not your problem.
That's just a problem with your sub-display brightness circuitry. Mine did this for a few months before I got a new sub display.
Old 08-15-2017, 04:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Read from this post downward on this other thread:

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p.../#post16075262
Old 08-17-2017, 02:10 PM
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 59 Posts
perhaps your having the same problem that others are with the HFU
Old 08-17-2017, 02:20 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,241 Likes on 1,028 Posts
Things I've tried:
- put in a brand new battery
- disconnected the hands-free bluetooth link
- disconnected remote start
Originally Posted by 314_04TL
perhaps your having the same problem that others are with the HFU
OP said he disconnected the HFL.
Old 08-17-2017, 02:37 PM

Received 16,267 Likes on 11,974 Posts
im leaning towards more aftermarket stuff draining his battery. his mechanic already disabled the remote start, there could be something else drawing...but UNLESS HE CHECKS HIMSELF, we're all guessing
Old 08-18-2017, 07:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 167 Likes on 140 Posts
hope you got your 100 dollars back since they didnt fix the problem.

but yeah, best bet would be to install an amp gauge and pull fuses.
Electrical troubleshooting is a pain in the ass but not overly complicated.

Good luck
Old 11-13-2017, 09:59 AM
Advanced

Three months later - still having the problem, though it's getting worse now.

I had to buy a portable car battery jumper and basically before I drive my car, I have to jump it every single time. I'll jump it, drive somewhere, park, go inside, come back outside to find my car dead again, jump it again, and go home. It's super annoying

Question is - how bad is this for the car/battery?
Old 11-13-2017, 10:05 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by flyromeo3
hope you got your 100 dollars back since they didnt fix the problem.

but yeah, best bet would be to install an amp gauge and pull fuses.
Electrical troubleshooting is a pain in the ass but not overly complicated.

Good luck
i did not get my $100 back - i went back the next day but since I didnt have my receipt they conveniently forgot who i was .... #smh
Old 11-13-2017, 11:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 493 Likes on 375 Posts
It's bad for the battery. It's not deep cycle one, and full discharging damages it.

https://www.wikihow.com/Find-a-Parasitic-Battery-Drain

Basically, get amp meter and pull fuse one by one. Current drops by large amount, figure out what is powered through that fuse and check that.
Old 11-13-2017, 11:29 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by peter6
It's bad for the battery. It's not deep cycle one, and full discharging damages it.

https://www.wikihow.com/Find-a-Parasitic-Battery-Drain

Basically, get amp meter and pull fuse one by one. Current drops by large amount, figure out what is powered through that fuse and check that.
and what if it's the ac clutch relay like i saw in another thread? https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-p...attery-964173/

Also, i'm such a noob with cars.

I know there's two fuse boxes, right? one in the hood and one below the driver's seat - or are they two different things?

is there a guide on how to do this fuse test that I can reference?

thanks!

EDIT: Nevermind - the link you provided is great!
Old 11-13-2017, 12:22 PM
Intermediate

Like I mentioned to you before, check that darned AC clutch relay. It is so simple it's not funny. If you don't want to spend $13, you can actually swap it with one of your fan relays, since they are exactly the same. Like I told you before, these relays usually fail intermittently which is why even shops cannot find the issue, because the relay is not acting up when they look. If you swap it with a fan relay, when it acts up, you will hear the fan turn on even when the car is off.

Knowing what I know now, having been through what you're going through, and discovering the problem, I would just spend the $13 on a new relay. No special tools needed. Open underhood fusebox, look for relay that has the large snowflake symbol, use pliers to pull out the old relay, and put a new one in. Done. I'd be surprised if the your problem is NOT resolved by replacing the a/c relay.
Old 11-13-2017, 12:50 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MrLeadFoot
Like I mentioned to you before, check that darned AC clutch relay. It is so simple it's not funny. If you don't want to spend $13, you can actually swap it with one of your fan relays, since they are exactly the same. Like I told you before, these relays usually fail intermittently which is why even shops cannot find the issue, because the relay is not acting up when they look. If you swap it with a fan relay, when it acts up, you will hear the fan turn on even when the car is off.

Knowing what I know now, having been through what you're going through, and discovering the problem, I would just spend the $13 on a new relay. No special tools needed. Open underhood fusebox, look for relay that has the large snowflake symbol, use pliers to pull out the old relay, and put a new one in. Done. I'd be surprised if the your problem is NOT resolved by replacing the a/c relay.
do you have a link to where I can get that relay?
Old 11-13-2017, 12:53 PM
Intermediate

I'm pretty sure I used this one:
https://www.autozone.com/cooling-hea...14_120391_8960
The following users liked this post:
kliqzero (11-13-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 03:43 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by MrLeadFoot
can i test it by simply removing that component from the car for a few days? in other words, what would happen if I drive around with the a/c clutch?
Old 11-13-2017, 05:03 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 493 Likes on 375 Posts
You mean without? Well AC compressor will never engage, so basically you have no AC.
kliqzero (11-20-2017)
Old 11-13-2017, 05:09 PM
Intermediate

Yes, that's a good idea, especially this time of year when you don't need a/c. Just remember that your defroster won't defrost well, either, although the fan will blow.
kliqzero (11-20-2017)
Old 01-03-2018, 09:47 AM
Advanced

can i test it by simply removing that component from the car for a few days? in other words, what would happen if I drive around with the a/c clutch?
Did you ever figure out what was causing the problem? I had the exact same issue, replaced the battery after already disconnecting HFL and replacing A/C switch, that seemed to fix it, but it didn't. Died again yesterday about a month after replacing the battery. Also, do you or anyone have a suggestion for a good portable battery jump starter to keep in the car?
Old 01-03-2018, 11:53 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jake14mw
Did you ever figure out what was causing the problem? I had the exact same issue, replaced the battery after already disconnecting HFL and replacing A/C switch, that seemed to fix it, but it didn't. Died again yesterday about a month after replacing the battery. Also, do you or anyone have a suggestion for a good portable battery jump starter to keep in the car?
so I took it to a new mechanic, who ran a full test and told me my battery was dead - which was surprising to me since I had bought a new battery less than a year ago. But after thinking about it further, I realized the battery I bought was a budget battery from Wal Mart, and that's probably why it wasn't very good.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:54 AM
Advanced

As far as portable chargers go, this is the one I own and it's pretty good

Amazon Amazon
jake14mw (01-03-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 12:10 PM
Advanced

so I took it to a new mechanic, who ran a full test and told me my battery was dead - which was surprising to me since I had bought a new battery less than a year ago. But after thinking about it further, I realized the battery I bought was a budget battery from Wal Mart, and that's probably why it wasn't very good.
Thanks. How long ago was that? I went through the same thing, and the new battery fixed the problem for about a month, and now the problem is back.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:33 PM
Advanced

Thanks. How long ago was that? I went through the same thing, and the new battery fixed the problem for about a month, and now the problem is back.
damn ... this was like 2 weeks ago, and since I got the new battery Ive been driving the car a lot so I havent given it enough time to cool down. I want to leave it idle for a few days and see if it starts up after like 4 days, I will test that this week and get back to you
Old 01-03-2018, 05:50 PM
Race Director

Received 1,794 Likes on 1,347 Posts
OP, your mechanic is likely an idiot. How much of a draw was the remote start pulling? What fuse circuit was it on? A remote start will definitely have a parasitic draw when set.

Are you sure that you properly disconnected the HFL unit?

Do you have NAVI? If so, it could be the NAVI. See TSB B05-029: http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SB/B05-029.PDF

If you have NAVI, you can pull fuse #7 overnight and if the battery doesn't drain, then you've found the source.