Please help: VSA light on 07 TL-Type S 5 speed AT, I hope it's not a trans issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 11:28 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please help: VSA light on 07 TL-Type S 5 speed AT, I hope it's not a trans issue

Hello,
This morning, on my way to Chicago, I drove through the country roads (avg. speed 50 miles/hr) for about 15 minutes.
I got on the highway (accelerated to 70 miles/hr) and saw smoke in my rearview mirror.
I stopped on the side of the highway, turned the car off to see where the smoke is coming from.
Today is a fairly cold day (around 40 F), and the smoke seems to be a combination of my exhaust and some light smoke under the hood.
I didn't think too much of it because it was cold.
I turned the car back on and drove. The gear indicator didn't show "D" and the car didn't shift to the 2nd gear.
Shifted it manual, indicator showed "1", but I couldn't get it to 2nd gear.
Stopped on the side of the highway, the VSA light came on, and the screen showed the Vehicle Stability Assist83 error.
The car was flat-bed towed to an Acura dealer to be inspected on Monday.
At the dealer, we saw liquid (possibly transmission coolant) puddling on the floor underneath the car.
I hope it is a failed APP sensor, and/or a leaking hose.
The salesman at the dealer said the transmission might need to be replaced.

It is a 07' TL-Type S with 5 speed AT.
I've kept the vehicle well maintained and the timing belt, the fluids, and the spark-plugs were all replaced at 100k.
The battery was replaced last winter.
Currently, I'm at 175k, and an oil change was done three weeks ago.

What do you think went wrong and needs to be replaced?
I don't want to get ripped off by the dealer.
I love my car, but there are some small dents, small rusts on the exterior, and the driver seat leather is a bit rough.
I'm not sure I want to replace the transmission (quoted 3~4k) when the trade-in value is around 2k.
If I can get this repair done less than 1k, I would love to keep on driving this car.

Please help

Last edited by vchan; 05-12-2018 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-12-2018, 01:16 PM
10th Gear

Unhappy I think I'm getting ripped off by the dealership

The dealership just finished the inspection (so quickly? weird)
They quoted a radiator, transmission fluid, timing belt package, right front control arm, 4 wheel alignment, and a power steering pump, for a total of $4,194.5 USD!

Why radiator? The engine oil temperature was normal throughout the entire event.
The dealer said the radiator had a leak, which is where the transmission fluid exited, so they can only replace it.
Why timing belt package? It was replaced at 100k miles.
The dealer recommended the timing belt package without checking my previous service history, so he recommended it just due to the mileage.
Why right front control arm? The car was driving just fine.
The dealer said the wheel was able to be pushed and moved the way it shouldn't be.
Why 4 wheel alignment? The car was driving straight.
The 4 wheel alignment is recommended because of the replacement of the right front control arm.
Why power steering pump? The wheel wasn't heavier than normal.
The dealer said the pump was leaking. I'd asked him if it was related to an Acura recall that was serviced previously and he said he doesn't know.
I had a recall service when the steering wheel fluid was leaking to the brakes causing a lot of smoke around 100k miles. If the recall didn't stop the leak, does Acura have the responsibility to fix it?

What can I do to know if what the dealer said is true? I'd asked for a photo and he said they don't provide it.

I think I'm getting ripped off here. Please help!!
Below is a screenshot of the quote:

Last edited by vchan; 05-12-2018 at 01:31 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 01:45 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My reply to your first post (we were typing at the same time):
It would be unusual for an 07 transmission to fail. Its more likely the trans cooler lines at the radiator. These have been known to corrode and break off. Was the fluid pooling below the rad? Did you check the dipstick for fluid level and condition? Has the trans fluid been changed in addition to when it was done at 100k?
To reply to your second post:
Radiator probably corroded where trans cooler lines fasten.
Timing belt is not due until 205k. Was the timing belt tensioner replaced last time? If not, this could be a problem, but would be noisey.
For the control arm, compliance bushings could be worn out and causing vague steering and suspension noise. This may not be necessary yet.
The alignment would be needed after the front suspension work.
Is the power steering pump leaking? If not and you are happy with the steering, then not necessary.
Many on here will tell you to go to an independent shop. How much for the dealer to repair just the rad to get the car driveable?
Old 05-12-2018, 01:49 PM
10th Gear

Hello andrewg,
The dealer won't work on the car unless all for the timing belt is fixed.
I think I'll get the car transferred to a Midas close by where they will replace the radiator for $450.
Thank you so much for your respond!
Old 05-12-2018, 02:04 PM
10th Gear

Again, thank you AndrewG. What would happen when the control arm fails completely?
Old 05-12-2018, 04:50 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When you get more responses (probably Monday) you'll find many will advise against Midas. The common advice will be to purchase an OEM radiator from Rockauto and have a shop with some Acura/Honda experience do the repair. Several people on this forum have experienced this.
Did the dealer explain why the timing belt can't wait for another 1+ year?
The front suspension will get quite noisey, the steering may not seem as precise, and the front tires may wear unevenly. When the rubber bushings wear out they allow metal on metal contact. Don't ignore this noise for too long as things will eventually break and you will likely lose steering control.
Your approximate location may help in getting some shop recommendations. I think your post previously indicated you were in the US. I'm in Canada so I can't help with that.
Please don't edit your post without indicating what you edited. Now my posts don't make sense. The PS hose replaced was probably the high pressure hose and is different than the PS pump. The PS pump leak is common.
Old 05-13-2018, 08:49 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 194 Likes on 158 Posts
Sounds like the dealer you took your car too was (a) too lazy to check your service history, (b) not knowledge about the 3G TL.
DO what andrewg recommends and purchase your own radiator from Rockauto.
I would then take it to a trustful indy shop in your area.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:49 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by MyGuti
Sounds like the dealer you took your car too was (a) too lazy to check your service history, (b) not knowledge about the 3G TL.
DO what andrewg recommends and purchase your own radiator from Rockauto.
I would then take it to a trustful indy shop in your area.
Sounds good. I think that's what I'll do.
Thanks for the feedback.