Please Help (Steering Wheel Vibration at Idle)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 04:26 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please Help (Steering Wheel Vibration at Idle)

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone can give me some help. I have an 06 TL with about 14k on it. A few weeks ago my steering wheel started vibrating and it feels like its coming from the engine. This happens only when I am for ex. standing on a red light in drive, foot on the break. Or if I am in reverse with my foot on the break. Does not happen in park, or in neutral or when my foot is on the gas. I took it to the dealer and they said that the engine support got loose or something along those terms and that they fixed it and it shoudl be much better. Well i got it back and its not. Any advice? It is still vibrating and doing same thing it was doing before i took it for service.

Also it seems like my rear sub, speakers got blown out. Took it to dealer they told me that they are not blown but rather just became loose and they need to be sealed. So they did that and the speakers still sound like they are blown out.

I made an appointment to go back there monday morning. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the long post. I am taking it to Park Ave, in NJ.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:39 AM
7th Gear

I've noticed a similar problem with my 07 TL-S. Not sure if it was there before or recently developed... never noticed before. I have a slight but definitely noticeable vibration in my steering wheel when in drive but not moving. When the car is moving there is no vibration whatsoever. When at a light, however, I notice it. It is also much more noticeable on the lower part of the steering wheel...if I'm resting my hand on the top the vibration is far less. When in park the vibration goes away, completely. When in motion it goes away, completely. No idea what this is...anyone?
Old 02-15-2007, 11:05 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
tell them to nuteralize the engine mounts. Also tell them to check the mounts agian as one of they dampens vibrations, i belive it is right nest to the serptine belt. As for the rear speakers, if they sould like they are blown, tell them to replace them becuase these ones still sound as bad. In my prsonal opinion, it looks like the dealer did nothinng and is making excuses.
Old 02-26-2007, 08:25 AM
Intermediate

They checked the mounts and it got a little better. They also showed me two other cars with the same issue. They told me that this is just the nature of the car. They all get this and its nothing scary. Just how the car is made. Both tsx's they gave me (05, 06) both had the same problem.

They said my speakers are not blown just loose. So they put some sort of foam in there and it is better now, but I am not pushing the bass.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:34 AM
Mike's Silver Bullet

Try upping the idle a tiny bit.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:12 AM
05 WDP/Ebony/5AT/NaviLess

Originally Posted by sandynmike
Try upping the idle a tiny bit.
I have the same problem and I'm wondering how we can up the idle? I thought it was computer controlled.
Old 02-26-2007, 02:02 PM
Mike's Silver Bullet

I thought I recalled the manual saying something about it being checked and adjusted at some point. So I assumed it was possible. I'm not quite sure how on the TL. Other fuel injected cars I've owned have a bypass bleed screw on the throttle body.
Old 02-27-2007, 10:57 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gentlemen,

I just got my 04 TL 5AT back from my dealer for the exact same complaint...Vibration in the steering wheel at a full stop which felt especially worse in colder weather. They neutralized the motor mounts, torqued everything back to spec and even worked with the steer rack bolts. It's not much better. They even reflashed the ECU with a newer update that corrects for a cold engine misfire. The steering wheel vibration is worse at the bottom of the wheel. My dealer said that there is nothing wrong with the car and that it may be inherent to it's design.

On a side note, they gave me an 07 TL 5AT and it was smoother and quieter and more rattle free than my 04 ever was! That'll teach me never to buy a car in the first year or 2 of production.

If anyone has any solution to this issue or any suggestions on what I can tell the dealer next time, please let me know. I will say that Acura of Boston was very patient with me and the foreman sat in the car with me and took plenty of notes. Short of them replacing all the motor mounts, which checked out fine in terms of function and vacuum level (according to the write up by the tech), I am at a loss.

dsc888
Old 02-28-2007, 12:49 AM
Advanced

My 07 TL-S rattles...made in America, lol.
Old 02-28-2007, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by dsc888
Gentlemen,

I just got my 04 TL 5AT back from my dealer for the exact same complaint...Vibration in the steering wheel at a full stop which felt especially worse in colder weather. They neutralized the motor mounts, torqued everything back to spec and even worked with the steer rack bolts. It's not much better. They even reflashed the ECU with a newer update that corrects for a cold engine misfire. The steering wheel vibration is worse at the bottom of the wheel. My dealer said that there is nothing wrong with the car and that it may be inherent to it's design.

On a side note, they gave me an 07 TL 5AT and it was smoother and quieter and more rattle free than my 04 ever was! That'll teach me never to buy a car in the first year or 2 of production.

If anyone has any solution to this issue or any suggestions on what I can tell the dealer next time, please let me know. I will say that Acura of Boston was very patient with me and the foreman sat in the car with me and took plenty of notes. Short of them replacing all the motor mounts, which checked out fine in terms of function and vacuum level (according to the write up by the tech), I am at a loss.

dsc888
Wow, well at least you got them to do that much. I tried to get my dealer to neutralize the mounts but they told me the vibrations are normal and so they won't do anything about it. Looks like a problem we're stuck with. Great! Now I have the idle vibration and the 1500rpm vibration and I didn't even buy a first year car (mine is an 05).
Old 02-28-2007, 11:01 AM
Intermediate

I have the "lumpy idle" on my 05. Usually noted when first started. I have not noticed to much after it's been driven cause I'm more focused on the clunk in the rear pass.
Old 02-28-2007, 11:18 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by pvansh
Wow, well at least you got them to do that much. I tried to get my dealer to neutralize the mounts but they told me the vibrations are normal and so they won't do anything about it. Looks like a problem we're stuck with. Great! Now I have the idle vibration and the 1500rpm vibration and I didn't even buy a first year car (mine is an 05).
all acura client care services and tell them that the dealer refuses to fix any issues with the car when you take it there.
Old 02-28-2007, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by csmeance
all acura client care services and tell them that the dealer refuses to fix any issues with the car when you take it there.
Its not that they don't want to fix it. They spend time trying to diagnose it and stuff, but then they call the Honda Techline and they tell them what I'm feeling is normal, so they're not really supposed to do anything. My dealer has been pretty good, but when corporate tells them its normal, they're not really gonna try and fix it.
Old 02-28-2007, 03:19 PM
Intermediate

What is the number for Client Services?
Old 02-28-2007, 03:24 PM
Mike's Silver Bullet

What does 'neutralizing the engine mounts' mean?
Old 02-28-2007, 03:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by sandynmike
What does 'neutralizing the engine mounts' mean?
sometimes the mounts aren't neutral, meaning the engine is slightly to one side and not balanced, so neutralizing them makes the engine back straight so everything lines up as it should. theres a TSB somewhere on how to do this....
Old 02-28-2007, 03:32 PM
Senior Moderator

TSB!!!!!
PAGE 3, right side:
http://www.in.honda.com/Rjanisis/pubs/SN/B061000.PDF
Old 02-28-2007, 04:42 PM

Tried that. They said they would do that if they found that the vibration was out of spec, and according to them, its not.