PLEASE HELP!! Something is shifting?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 12:08 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question PLEASE HELP!! Something is shifting?!?!?!?

OK so I am going to try and explain this the best I can. When in put my car into drive and then hit the gas it feels like the engine moves/shifts? It also does this when I am at a stop light for a minute and then hit the gas to take off, and I am not flooring it or anything?? It seems to be worst when the car is cold. Me and my mechanic put it up on his lift and checked the mounts and they all seemed to be fine?!? Any Ideas? (I searched the topic with no luck, but then again I was not sure really what to search foexactly)

Please help if you have any ideas. Thanks Guys!
Old 09-18-2009, 01:45 PM
10th Gear

Park your car, open the hood, set the parking brake, then have a friend stand outside the car (off to the side, not in front) and watch the engine. Put it in drive and give it a little gas, then put it in neutral, repeat in reverse. If the engine moves up and down when shifting from D/R to neutral, or when you give it gas, you've got bad mounts somewhere. Should be easy to see which mounts. Sometimes it's hard to see a broken mount when the car's on the lift because the engine is sitting down on top of it, which can hide a fault in the rubber.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:15 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
so you're saying that your engine moves when you hit the gas? well, that's normal...usually. unless it's a noticeably large amount of movement. they're designed to rock back and forth. explain more please.

if you bad mounts, then the swap isn't too bad. check for leaks (looks like used motor oil). if you're noticing it THAT much, you probably have bad mounts. oem mounts aren't too expensive, but they aren't cheap. you could make the swap and get the innotative motor mounts (60A), but they're DEFINITELY not for everyone (sends lots of vibration throughout the cabin).

iono what ^ was talking about, but he seems to know what he's talking about...do what he says and get back to us! good luck!
Old 09-18-2009, 03:19 PM
Safety Car

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
wait are you getting slow response when you hit the gas??? as in...no immediate power delivery when you push the acceleration pedal? i'm baffled...
or can you actually FEEL the engine moving from INSIDE the cabin?

you probably have bad motor mounts...and if it's as bad as you're describing it...then it has to be the front motor mount, and most likely the back and the side. sounds like you're at the point where it's already gone through it's progression (the first one of the front one goes out, then the side from holding the weight of the front, then the rear for obvious reasons)

???
Old 09-21-2009, 11:07 AM
Advanced

Going to try to explain in more detail.... When I hit the gas to go forward from a dead stop its like there is something shifting out of place, I dont hear any sounds like knocking or clunking but I definately feel something move. Its really hard to explain without you feeling it yourself.

Thanks for all the responses, I am going to try putting it in drive and holding the brakes and in reverse to see what I can find out. Ill let you guys know what I find out as soon as I try try it.