AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL Problems & Fixes (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/)
-   -   PLEASE HELP - I think something is wrong with my car (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/please-help-i-think-something-wrong-my-car-636979/)

evanj5 04-07-2008 06:37 PM

PLEASE HELP - I think something is wrong with my car

I go to the dealership saturday and get an oil change. I also had a tech look at the serpentine belt tensioner because after installing the UR underdrive pulley I am getting what has been concluded to be belt noise.

OK so on to my problem. I noticed today that my revs have been spiking when I hit the throttle. Now some may ask well you drive a stick make sure the clutch is not fully unpresses. It is. I will be cruising at like 2500 rpm and hit the throttle and all of a sudden the rpms will jump up to 3000 and then go back down to like 2800 rpm all while under the same ammount of throttle. I does it a different times in different gears under normal or full throttle I dont know wtf would cause this.

Does anyone know what could cause this ?????

evanj5 04-07-2008 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by evanj5
I go to the dealership saturday and get an oil change. I also had a tech look at the serpentine belt tensioner because after installing the UR underdrive pulley I am getting what has been concluded to be belt noise.

OK so on to my problem. I noticed today that my revs have been spiking when I hit the throttle. Now some may ask well you drive a stick make sure the clutch is not fully unpresses. It is. I will be cruising at like 2500 rpm and hit the throttle and all of a sudden the rpms will jump up to 3000 and then go back down to like 2800 rpm all while under the same ammount of throttle. I does it a different times in different gears under normal or full throttle I dont know wtf would cause this.

Does anyone know what could cause this ?????

After doing some reading I think a better way to explain the phenomenon would be surging. My engine is surging. Almost like the ECU is cutting the fuel slightly and pulling power from the car. Slight surges nothing drastic at least not yet.

aznboi2424 04-07-2008 07:00 PM

torque converter?

evanj5 04-07-2008 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by aznboi2424
torque converter?

I believe I just figured it out.

OMFG I cannot believe the dealership put that much oil in my F*CKING car!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Unbelievable.

ITL 06-27-2008 12:15 PM

so your problem with surging was an overfill of the engine oil? I've had a very small surging issue for the last month or so. It feels like some sort of parasitic drag maybe every 20 seconds or so at very light throttle when cruising on the interstate...

ITL 07-14-2008 10:16 AM

I took my car to the dealer a few days ago for the power steering and wiper motor recalls, and asked them to take a look at this. It turns out my surging issue is due to a bad accelerator position sensor.

01tl4tl 07-14-2008 01:02 PM

also known as TPS Throttle Position Sensor
Seems to be a lot of those failing these days---its the mileage we are all getting to~

01tl4tl 07-14-2008 01:04 PM

Note the UR and other brands of UNDERdrive pulley DO require a different sized accessory belt- the ac belt, than stock.
They are about $45 for the belt, and the pulley should have come with a list of brand names and belt numbers to use