Please HELP !!...Car sluggish or Flies

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 07:05 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
I guess there is no soulution to this other then trading in for a another car.... a different type preferably
Old 02-07-2008, 10:45 AM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's been cool out lately, so the car has been a lot more responsive, but I also think it has something to do with the amount of oil in the engine. I do my own oil changes and this last time I noticed that the oil level read a bit high once the car had been sitting for an extended period of time (before I changed the oil). So this time I put in just over 4 quarts, warmed the engine, and then let it sit a good 5 minutes before I checked the level and topped it off. Normally I would just check the level immediately after warming the engine and I wasn't giving enough time for the oil to completely settle into the drain pan. Now that I have the proper amount of oil in the system, I've noticed better response time, smoother idle and acceleration, and best of all -- unusually good gas mileage in the neighborhood of 28 MPG vs my typical 25 MPG.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:44 PM
Three Wheelin'

when u say better im sure u dont mean it cured the problem, i dont thing that should make a difference anyhow maybe its just in ur head. My car runs abnormaly fast in the morning when i just get out of the garage...but as soon as i drive it for a while and a little bit harder not krazy, it goes really slow!!

Especially since i have an intake on i can tell when it happens just by listening to the sound, much slower growling. I assume what some people have said is that the engine get krazy hot and goes into some kind of protection mode.

Mine get really hot u cant even touch it ... i really dont know what to do it bothers me so much
Old 02-08-2008, 10:44 AM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think it fixed the sluggishness I feel when it's hot out, but it did seem to improve the overall response of the car. I feel the same kind of performance gain you'd get from putting in a fresh set of plugs.

I'm thinking that the sluggishness I feel when stuck in traffic during hot weather is probably by design. Someone said something about the ECU compensating for the hot air coming in and slowing the timing of the engine, which makes some sense to me.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:34 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Disconnect your negative port of the battery, it resets the ECU, then run the car hard afterwards
Old 02-11-2008, 07:21 AM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
This problem looks familiar to me. I had the same problem floring the TL down and it wouldn't move...it would drive like a snail...what you have to do is get a Tune up...and since it is an Acura that means $$$$$
Old 02-11-2008, 07:47 AM
Now with i-Vtec

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Blazing GT
This problem looks familiar to me. I had the same problem floring the TL down and it wouldn't move...it would drive like a snail...what you have to do is get a Tune up...and since it is an Acura that means $$$$$
Wrong.... This problem was present within the first 2k miles on my '05 TL when I had it. Also, because it is an Acura and the design of this engine with coil packs etc. a tune up isn't like what it used to be. There is no fix that has been found as of yet.

Another thing just because it is an acura doesn't mean it is going to cost you more for parts and routine maint..
Old 02-11-2008, 07:50 AM
Now with i-Vtec

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by XxAfG786xX
Disconnect your negative port of the battery, it resets the ECU, then run the car hard afterwards

Does nothing for this problem. Also you don't have to disconnect the negative side of the battery. You can just pull the fuse for the ECU.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:14 PM
Three Wheelin'

this problem takes the fun out of driving and from time to time makes me wonder why i am still keaping this car... I just wish it would drive during the day like it does during the morning. My problem used to appear only in hot weather but now even thoe its 28F outside, if i drive the car around for a while and push it a little bit the slugishness comes right back wich pisses me so off. I do also have an short ram intake wich could apply a little to that existing problem since the engine gets so hot that even then the intake is sucking hot air most of the time.' Im missing torque so much that im thinking to go for a V8 car, something like an audi s4. I wish somebody could come up with a solution........
Old 02-11-2008, 09:47 PM
it's me, Alan Rickman.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wow.. so i'm not crazy

This afternoon she was driving great!! Some days, it's like the car is a 4 cylinder... I do need to take it in for what I think is a bad drive shaft though...
Old 02-12-2008, 02:09 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by used fleshlight
Wow.. so i'm not crazy

This afternoon she was driving great!! Some days, it's like the car is a 4 cylinder... I do need to take it in for what I think is a bad drive shaft though...

I just wonder if every TL is having the same problem or is it that some people only end up having a little bad luck
Old 05-19-2008, 05:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

did any of you guys fix this problem....??
Old 05-19-2008, 09:39 PM
Banned

I have heard of this problem from customers bringing their cars into my work i I understand their frustration. But they have never given this much information. If that air intake temperature sensor is reading high that would retard the timing and cut the fuel back. If that air is too hot and it runs hard the car will of course overheat. So if it is reading a correct temperature than it is working as it should. But if it is reading higher than the actualy temperature then that would be a problem.

Well, on ebay one of the 2 dollar horsepower tricks is a wire in for the air intake temperature sensor so it sees a lower temperature so it uses more gas and advances timing.

But if it is working normally and you add one of these in you have th potential for your car to overheat
Old 05-19-2008, 09:40 PM
Banned

Oh, ya something to keep engine temps down when driving hard and esp in higher temps areas

http://www.racerpartswholesale.com/p...1/Water_Wetter
Old 06-08-2009, 08:52 PM
LOVES HIS TL!!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am assuming no one has found a resolution for this yet, correct? Cause im just about ready to go postal!!! I changed that IAC... no dice. Dealer stated "it runs like every othe TL" Now I Know what he meant by that. Pig F*CKER....

Anyone? Anything? Anywhere?
Old 06-09-2009, 11:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

ive had that problem for a while now... i tryed many things that were recommended here but none of them really fix the problem. I think it happens much faster when i drive it in ss mode then when i just drive it in D. Assuming how it is i could never take my car to a track pretty much.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:44 PM
LOVES HIS TL!!!

Greeaaattttttt ... well I wont give up. I'l keep trying to find some kind of resolution.
Old 06-09-2009, 05:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ChuckyD
Greeaaattttttt ... well I wont give up. I'l keep trying to find some kind of resolution.
trade it in
Old 06-09-2009, 05:38 PM
LOVES HIS TL!!!

Originally Posted by BukvaMan
trade it in
lol.. dont tempt me... i just got the damn thing in Oct of 08!
Old 06-09-2009, 11:42 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,811 Likes on 1,282 Posts
Octane. It needs more octane. First off, make sure you're using a top tier premium. If you're already doing this, you can prove the octane theory by throwing a few gallons of 100 unleaded or a couple gallons of xylene or tolulene with a full tank. You will feel the power and torque you lost come back.
Old 06-10-2009, 07:26 AM
LOVES HIS TL!!!

Originally Posted by I hate cars
Octane. It needs more octane. First off, make sure you're using a top tier premium. If you're already doing this, you can prove the octane theory by throwing a few gallons of 100 unleaded or a couple gallons of xylene or tolulene with a full tank. You will feel the power and torque you lost come back.
Its not really lost. it just ides and comes back when the car cools down. For Example, First jump in the car and drive home from work the car is fly'n Tire spinning and all. As soon as I get off the highway, still movin. BUT, when i start to hit the local traffic and hit a few lights, Mr Hyde comes out and doesn’t like to move anymore. I get home, park the car int eh shade for a few hours, go back out 3 - 4 hours later, she is fly'n again and burnin out... dont think the octane boost will really help it. its more of a problem that requires a solution, something needs to be adjusted or fixed. I dont ant to try to mask it with Mods and patches. I need to bug the shit out of dealer and get the replace, swap change anything or everything until they figure it out. Some cars on this forum never experience, so that gives me some hope. After all is done, then i will look to Mod my car from a improvement perspective as apposed to a remedy perspective.
Worst case scenario, if the problem doesn’t go away, so long as they do recognize it as a problem, I can maybe try to pull a lemon law deal out of it. We'll see, that's kind od an extreme and a very difficult task, im sure. But I guess we'll just have to see how it goes.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:19 AM
Team Owner

Its not really lost. it just ides and comes back when the car cools down. For Example, First jump in the car and drive home from work the car is fly'n Tire spinning and all. As soon as I get off the highway, still movin. BUT, when i start to hit the local traffic and hit a few lights, Mr Hyde comes out and doesn’t like to move anymore. I get home, park the car int eh shade for a few hours, go back out 3 - 4 hours later, she is fly'n again and burnin out... dont think the octane boost will really help it. its more of a problem that requires a solution, something needs to be adjusted or fixed. I dont ant to try to mask it with Mods and patches. I need to bug the shit out of dealer and get the replace, swap change anything or everything until they figure it out. Some cars on this forum never experience, so that gives me some hope. After all is done, then i will look to Mod my car from a improvement perspective as apposed to a remedy perspective.
Worst case scenario, if the problem doesn’t go away, so long as they do recognize it as a problem, I can maybe try to pull a lemon law deal out of it. We'll see, that's kind od an extreme and a very difficult task, im sure. But I guess we'll just have to see how it goes.
It's octane. I know your situation all too well. When the car heats up it gets very slow and surges. Won't always do it on the freeway due to the constant airflow.

Good luck with the dealer, we have a thread over 20 pages on a related issue and no on has any luck.

The car knocks even on premium and the knock sensor retards timing, that's where your power is disappearing to. The solution hasn't been found other than to mask the problem and run a higher octane.
Old 06-10-2009, 08:24 AM
LOVES HIS TL!!!

Originally Posted by I hate cars
It's octane. I know your situation all too well. When the car heats up it gets very slow and surges. Won't always do it on the freeway due to the constant airflow.

Good luck with the dealer, we have a thread over 20 pages on a related issue and no on has any luck.

The car knocks even on premium and the knock sensor retards timing, that's where your power is disappearing to. The solution hasn't been found other than to mask the problem and run a higher octane.
Ok, Ill give it a shot. this is be coming more and more depressing.. lol.

Dont be suprised if I trade the car in in a few months... this is something i cant deal with! If i pay for something, I want it to work correctly....
I should have gotten another Infiniti, i had 2 before. I thought I was going into a better car!
Old 06-10-2009, 12:01 PM
Three Wheelin'

you described it exactly to what i am experiencing with my car... just recently i put chevron techron with 10 gallons of premium gas and reset the ecu and so far i havent experienced the problem, although i have been driving it in D and not really pushing it. Just maybe a little aggressive and it has not shown up yet. I might try to seafom it too, we'll see.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:12 PM
LOVES HIS TL!!!

you described it exactly to what i am experiencing with my car... just recently i put chevron techron with 10 gallons of premium gas and reset the ecu and so far i havent experienced the problem, although i have been driving it in D and not really pushing it. Just maybe a little aggressive and it has not shown up yet. I might try to seafom it too, we'll see.
YES! I used techron a few weeks ago. Right after, for the next week or so, the car felt better along with me using 93 Octane Fuel. But after a week or so... it went back.

It will kill me if i have to regularly buy that kind of crap to keep my car running well
Old 06-10-2009, 12:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

YES! I used techron a few weeks ago. Right after, for the next week or so, the car felt better along with me using 93 Octane Fuel. But after a week or so... it went back.

It will kill me if i have to regularly buy that kind of crap to keep my car running well
maybe we can go to the dealer together sometime... maybe they would take it more serious and do some diagnostics. believe me this problem has been bothering me for some time now. I just recently bought the atlp base exhaust and i couldnt stand the drone when it went into that limp mode or lazy mode. Thats the reason im selling it. From time to time always someone like you comes up with the same problem but nobody reports back, i find it hard to believe that it is normal. This car is really great when its working the way it should and i have it paid off, so the last thing for me is to trade it in, but i so dont want to.
Old 06-10-2009, 12:51 PM
LOVES HIS TL!!!

maybe we can go to the dealer together sometime... maybe they would take it more serious and do some diagnostics. believe me this problem has been bothering me for some time now. I just recently bought the atlp base exhaust and i couldnt stand the drone when it went into that limp mode or lazy mode. Thats the reason im selling it. From time to time always someone like you comes up with the same problem but nobody reports back, i find it hard to believe that it is normal. This car is really great when its working the way it should and i have it paid off, so the last thing for me is to trade it in, but i so dont want to.
Well im going to my local dealer where I Bought the car (Where my family and friends have bought NINE Acuras!) this coming Tuesday
(6/16). My appoinemnt is set for 7:30 am cause I want to grab the techs as soon as they get in. I'm very certain I can replicate the issue on demand.... I really feel like I have it down to a science!
Old 06-10-2009, 01:06 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well im going to my local dealer where I Bought the car (Where my family and friends have bought NINE Acuras!) this coming Tuesday
(6/16). My appoinemnt is set for 7:30 am cause I want to grab the techs as soon as they get in. I'm very certain I can replicate the issue on demand.... I really feel like I have it down to a science!
where is your dealer located exactly ??

i wish you best luck and hope to god you find the solution.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:22 PM
LOVES HIS TL!!!

where is your dealer located exactly ??

i wish you best luck and hope to god you find the solution.
Thanks!

Island Acura-Saab
www.islandacura.com

3350 Sunrise Hwy
Wantagh, NY 11793
(516) 679-5400
Old 06-10-2009, 01:32 PM
practicing nihilist

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
what grade fuel are you normally putting in it?

I think we talked on another similar thread. I'm on my 3rd Florida summer with my TL and don't have this problem. Granted, extended mid-day driving doesn't have the kick that the first, cooler pull out of the neighborhood has, but that's just the slight loss from very warm weather that every engine experiences.

I've always run 93. In the SE, we only have 87, 89 and then premium of 93. I hate cars has talked a lot about this cars partiality to very high octane fuel.
Old 06-10-2009, 01:39 PM
LOVES HIS TL!!!

Yes, there is def always a little degradation in performance when the car is warmer, but this is almost to an extreme down low in the power band. Fuel, either 93 if im using Sunoco gas, or 91 if I use Getty (Formally Exxon). I try to use the Sunoco fuel, but the station is out of my way and hard to get to sometimes.
Old 06-25-2009, 01:49 PM
LOVES HIS TL!!!

So I finally dropped the car off this past Tuesday. Well, its now Thursday and they still have the car. I had the tech drive in the car with me and verbally confirm he felt what i was talking about and I had him drive it as well. According them, after a few days of working with their corporate technical support, they feel that it is entire fuel pump\assembly. They claimed that the car is running 4 - 5 lbs under pressure. He also said they felt that the car doesnt perform as it should even when it is cold They compared it to another 2008 TL they had on their lot. I hope what they are saying is true and it does fix my issue, but a part of me is very doubful that the fuel pump is the cause of the issue. I urged him to drive the hell out of it after they fix it, because if it's not fixed I woulldnt be picking up the car at all and keeping the loaner.

My Fingers are crossed!

Side not, they are also replacing my XM unit and Rear Passenger Strut...
Old 06-25-2009, 02:13 PM
Team Owner

So I finally dropped the car off this past Tuesday. Well, its now Thursday and they still have the car. I had the tech drive in the car with me and verbally confirm he felt what i was talking about and I had him drive it as well. According them, after a few days of working with their corporate technical support, they feel that it is entire fuel pump\assembly. They claimed that the car is running 4 - 5 lbs under pressure. He also said they felt that the car doesnt perform as it should even when it is cold They compared it to another 2008 TL they had on their lot. I hope what they are saying is true and it does fix my issue, but a part of me is very doubful that the fuel pump is the cause of the issue. I urged him to drive the hell out of it after they fix it, because if it's not fixed I woulldnt be picking up the car at all and keeping the loaner.

My Fingers are crossed!

Side not, they are also replacing my XM unit and Rear Passenger Strut...
I can guarantee 4-5psi low on fuel pressure is not the problem. That amount is easily correctable in the long and short term fuel trims. I can't believe these so called techs are so dumb.

Did you go for a ride with them with the scanner hooked up to show them it's getting knock retard? I had to force them to look at knock retard, they looked at everything but what I asked them to look at and low and behold it was knocking like crazy.
Old 06-25-2009, 02:33 PM
LOVES HIS TL!!!

No, I did not have them try that. Not a problem though, I am able to reproduce it at will so long as the problem still exists. If that is the case, I will make that suggestion and go from there. Im sure they wont have any other ideas. Truthfully, the longer the car stays there the easier it will be for me to reapproch the issue with a legal mindset (Lemon Law). I openly told them that the car will remain there and\or I will keep going back until I am satisfied one way or the other. I have 3000 Miles until I am disqualifed from the Lemon Law requirements, I have a lot of work to do until then....
Old 06-26-2009, 01:22 AM
Make Nice, Not Rice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6MT ftw

But on a serious note, that is strange. Never knew cars had moods haha.
Old 06-26-2009, 05:36 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
It is amazing to me how many TLs are having the same problem, there have been threads about this for years. Someone has to have come up with a solution by now!!!

I have been having this same problem for the last 6 months or so and I have been to the dealer (Rallye Acura) at least five times for the same exact issue. I was told that because it isnt throwing an error code (CEL) there is nothing they can do.

Im getting 13 mpg on average, though most of my driving is in the city, that is still unacceptable..........

What Mpg are you guys getting on avg?
Old 06-26-2009, 07:27 AM
LOVES HIS TL!!!

Originally Posted by White Magic
It is amazing to me how many TLs are having the same problem, there have been threads about this for years. Someone has to have come up with a solution by now!!!

I have been having this same problem for the last 6 months or so and I have been to the dealer (Rallye Acura) at least five times for the same exact issue. I was told that because it isnt throwing an error code (CEL) there is nothing they can do.

Im getting 13 mpg on average, though most of my driving is in the city, that is still unacceptable..........

I do a lot of highway driving. I am getting no less then 20-22 MPG mixed driving... and I drive it fairly hard around town. As soon as I hit the parkways, I just cruise which keeps it up.

So when you brought it back to Rallye they never replaced any parts or anything? Did they acknowledge there was a problem at all? I really suggest you bring your car to Island Acura in Wantagh. Mostly because my car is in there right now. Maybe it will get you more attention then you have gotten from Rallye thus far... PLUS it may benefit us both if there are 2 cars in there with teh exact problem. Seriously consider it....
Old 06-26-2009, 07:43 AM
LOVES HIS TL!!!

Thats goes for anyone who has a TL with the same issue and lives in the NY area. I am willing to bed if they had a few TL's lines up all with the same issue, it may finally get the attention it is supposed to get. Voices are heard in numbers, no?
Old 06-26-2009, 10:20 AM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by White Magic

This is exactly what I hate about the new wave of mechanics. There can no longer "think" and diagnose a problem with their own brain. The car has to have a code stored so they can look it up and see which part to replace.

I went round and round with the Nissan dealership with this too. Took the Murano in for a pinging at moderate throttle and low rpms. The tech called back and said they couldn't hear it. I laughed and asked how much knock retard it was getting. His reply was "we checked it for codes". Again I asked, how much knock retard did it have? His reply was "we checked the fuel pressure". This scenario went on until I finally got him to admit they didn't drive it and look at live data. Once they did, they saw the knock retard and started looking for a fix. It just blows my mind the lack of logic some of these so called techs have. The first thing you look at when someone complains of a ping is the knock retard on the scanner to see if it's legit or not.
Old 06-26-2009, 10:40 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
I do a lot of highway driving. I am getting no less then 20-22 MPG mixed driving... and I drive it fairly hard around town. As soon as I hit the parkways, I just cruise which keeps it up.

So when you brought it back to Rallye they never replaced any parts or anything? Did they acknowledge there was a problem at all? I really suggest you bring your car to Island Acura in Wantagh. Mostly because my car is in there right now. Maybe it will get you more attention then you have gotten from Rallye thus far... PLUS it may benefit us both if there are 2 cars in there with teh exact problem. Seriously consider it....

I currently get a mix of 17-18 MPG when i travel on the highway and in the city....... and the only thing they did was replace my motor mounts and reset my ecu. That did absolutely nothing to fix the problem.

I think that is a good idea.... How long will your car be in the shop?

Quick Reply: Please HELP !!...Car sluggish or Flies