Which components are known to fail that can leave you stranded?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2019, 04:09 PM
'08 TL-S 6MT

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Which components are known to fail that can leave you stranded?

Hey guys, apologize for the long title but I’m hoping to gather a list of common failure parts that can leave you stranded. Eg. Once my front right axle snapped and I had to push my car(luckily was only a few hundred metres away). Just last week, my starter died with no warning at all. Had to tow home. In each of these occurrences, I always search acurazine and find that they are common issues. If I had the list beforehand, I could’ve attempted to inspect them and address them. But the starter had no signs. No struggling start, no cel, no mid msg.

Now that I’ve replaced the above, I should be good but what other items are there that’ll force a tow home? Already did the app sensor too but that shows signs so it doesn’t technically count.

Thanks for reading this far!
Old 12-02-2019, 04:55 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 489 Likes on 373 Posts
Radiator, alternator, starter, ball joints, blown tires, axles, rusty brake lines / fuel lines. Broken timing belt will surely stop you from going anywhere, and if you have AT then AT cooler lines. You want us to list every major component in the car?
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (12-02-2019)
Old 12-02-2019, 05:30 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Lol
Old 12-02-2019, 08:31 PM
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by jeeva86
Hey guys, apologize for the long title but I’m hoping to gather a list of common failure parts that can leave you stranded.
Hello,

I also had this question after my starter broke and left me stranded in 15 degree F weather. I got home thanks to a long breaker bar I had in the car (tapping the starter sometimes works for a few times depending on what is wrong with your starter) and started to research a similar question. What are the top twenty most common problems to a 3G TL. Of these twenty items, which can leave you stranded.

It finally occurred to me to rank the threads by views. This is not a perfect solution because some common issues (the need to replace the timing belt for example) will only be viewed by the more mechanical among us and therefore ranks low. But it was the best method I found. Viewed this way, the compliance bushings, power steering pump quickly would grab some attention.

Good luck.

jeeva86 (12-16-2019)
Old 12-03-2019, 07:22 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, usually, the car is going to give you signs before the car fails. So ANY odd noises or hiccups cant be prevented if you take care of it before it gets worse.

Balljoints makes a loud squeaking noise
Axles makes a clicking noise
Loud Engine knocking usually something really bad saying HELLO OPEN YOUR WALLET.

If you haven’t done any maintenance for the past 100k miles, well, you already know thats gotta be done. Timing belt, Spark plugs, PCV valve, Oil change.... Regular full tune up.

Cant really list every major components in a car because anything really can leave you stranded but its all about paying attention to detail. For example, its really cold out now(snowing in NYC🤦🏽‍♂️) & when I went to start it, the battery almost didn’t have enough power to start, its a common battery issue that obviously needs replacing, it could also be my alternator, battery terminal corrosion but before shyt hits the fan, I took it to autozone to test out the battery and alternator, visually inspect the battery terminals so I wont have to throw parts at it, hoping it would fix the problem.
jeeva86 (12-16-2019)
Old 12-04-2019, 05:50 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,390 Posts
Originally Posted by jeeva86
Hey guys, apologize for the long title but I’m hoping to gather a list of common failure parts that can leave you stranded. Eg. Once my front right axle snapped and I had to push my car(luckily was only a few hundred metres away). Just last week, my starter died with no warning at all. Had to tow home. In each of these occurrences, I always search acurazine and find that they are common issues. If I had the list beforehand, I could’ve attempted to inspect them and address them. But the starter had no signs. No struggling start, no cel, no mid msg.

Now that I’ve replaced the above, I should be good but what other items are there that’ll force a tow home? Already did the app sensor too but that shows signs so it doesn’t technically count.

Thanks for reading this far!
If you have a 6MT, you will want to monitor #8 pedal stopper pad, on the link below. Especially the one that interacts with #7 clutch switch assembly. Over the years these little "plastic" pads soften, deteriorate and crumble. When that occurs on the clutch switch the car will not start when you push in the clutch because the end of the switch will fall through the hole the stopper pad fastens to on the clutch pedal assembly, thus leaving you stranded.

https://www.acuraoemparts.com/v-2008...chassis--pedal
jeeva86 (12-16-2019)
Old 12-04-2019, 11:43 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A sensor going out can strand you as well. A crank sensor for example.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:01 AM
'08 TL-S 6MT

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks, a lot of useful posts here. Would sensors have a warning period via CEL or obd2 scanner? My primary concern is about items that show no signs and just “fail”.

I’ll have to look in the mt item you posted. Never did that and I’m at 255k kms.
Old 12-16-2019, 09:07 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
no, no....components will show signs of wear, or have symptoms, showing it's about to fail.....

a car is a machine. a machine has moving parts. moving parts fail.

you MIGHT think that a component wasnt showing signs, but the component was telling you way before it failed...

car maintenance is the art of visual intelligence...
the art of looking for clues.

once you learn what the clues mean; then you can properly diagnose and repair/replace the component.