P0741 Error code for 04 TL AT

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 03:48 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
P0741 Error code for 04 TL AT

I have 04 TL with AT

I got a check engine light on today and took my car to local acura dealership. error code was P0741 and the dealer said the cause is internal transmission failure and my transmission needs to be replaced. the price is $4439.

does anyone know where and how I can get a maybe used transmission or better price? Mileage on my car is 180k and I don't want to spend over $4000 to fix my car

What do you guys suggest me to do?
Old 04-07-2011, 09:53 AM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I can see what you mean. its like a third of the cars worth. Have you checked with AAMCO? See if the dealership can take $3800. At least the dealership with their part will still have a warranty on it.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:31 PM
Dogmatic Dinosaur

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts
Does it drive ASAP (as in right now)? If so, do a transmission fluid change with some Type F and drive it as long as it will go.

If the tranny does go out, then try and independent shop with a history of Honda/Acura work.
Old 04-12-2011, 12:40 PM
Intermediate

Experience with AAMCO

Thanks for the reply guys
next day after I got check engine light on, I took my car to AAMCO for diagnostic.

they said they wanted to try replacing part called "solenoid" first if that works for my car. but it didn't work and they finally decided that it was the internal transmission failure. they quoted me about $180 for replacing solenoid but they won't charge if they ended up to rebuild transmission which was fine with me.

They also told me price of replacing transmission will be range between $2500 and $3000. (they said they never replace the transmission but they rebuild. The price they promised me was Maximum $3000 including 3 year 36,000 mile warranty).

nextday, the machanic guy put apart transmission parts from my car and said my second gear is pretty much worn out and I need rebuild my transmission and they quoted me $3900 + tax. What the heck? I complained them that that was way beyond my epected price and they kept lowering the price like from $3900 to $3600 and $3600 to $3300.

I found a friend of mine can replace used transmission with 50,000 mile on it for $2300 (including all parts and labor but no warranty)

If I decide to have AAMCO stop the work, I have to pay them $895 + tax for labor that they have been working on so far.

Here are my questions

1. I don't understand why they couldn't give me an exact price for rebuilding transmission. Now I feel like I'm hooked and they are trying to get me ripped. moreover, they were so easy on lowering the price because they didn't want me to pay $895 + tax and have them put all the old parts together? I even told them that I can go to my friend's place and rebuild the transmission and they said their company policy won't let me take the parts separate from the car but they must put all the parts together in case I took my car to somewhere else

2. I'm supposed to pick up my car today but they said some of the parts are not arrived yet so I have to wait couple more days? That wasn't sooooo professional.

3. Is it true that they can only rebuild transmission but can't replace the entire transmission parts? they are saying even dealer will rebuild the transmission but they won't replace the entire parts.

I guess I have no option but have AAMCO to finish the work but I don't like their service at all. Now the price is $3289 + tax including 3 year 36,000 mile warranty.

What do you guys think? any suggestion?

Last edited by simonhong; 04-12-2011 at 12:47 PM.
Old 04-14-2011, 11:09 PM
Intermediate

more horrible story about AAMCO

This is for people who may consider to repair transmission from AAMCO.

Don't use AAMCO! I was stupid enough to google it online and AAMCO was on the first line for the search result.

Here are the reasons why you shouldn't use AAMCO

1. They don't give you exact price for repair. they simple give you range of price and they raise the price at the end after you car parts are all apart. They kept saying things because of company policy. but you know what? they don't know shit about company policy they never provided me a written quotation before they do the work.

2. They don't deliver car on time. I was told to wait 5 days to fix my car then they made me wait additional 2 more days

3. Intially, They agreed to offer me 3 year 36,000 mile warranty for transmission repair then when I went to sign the invoice. they set the warranty as 1 year 12,000 mile

4. The day 1 I picked up my car from AAMCO, My car broke down due to transmission failure. they almost got me killed into a car accident. plus they test drove my car for 40 miles? oh my god and my car faild? What the heck?

5. After all incidents happened above, I happened to check the Better Busines Bureau website and they already had 13 complaints including a law suit against them.

If you are planning to service your transmission please check all related websites to find a good machanic shop including BBB, Yelp and anything

here is my two cents.

by the way the AAMCO I accidently went was in Auburn WA

Now I'm in a process of disputing with them and I will demand on them to give a full refund. this place is even operated by corporate can you believe it?