Occasional Rough Downshifts and Lag on Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2016 | 01:59 PM
Racer

Occasional Rough Downshifts and Lag on Acceleration

Okay, so I have been experiencing some rough downshifts lately. I mostly notice it when I am dropping from a higher speed, let's say 60+ to below 10 mpg. Usually due to traffic on my way home. I will also notice it on a particular street on my way home from work, where I get into third gear and then almost immediately drop down into second gear again. Besides the one road, this one seems semi-random. I am trying to replicate what causes it.

The next issue is a delay in input when I go to accelerate sometimes. I notice this the most when I have just come to a stop and then am on the gas again almost immediatly (stop and go traffic, occasionally at stop lights). Currently, this one seems somewhat random. I definitely do not get it all that often, maybe once a day on my commute to and from work.

I just did the 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches this weekend. I must give a huge shout-out to the forum on this one. I have no noticeable delay in any of my upshifts now!! So happy!

I am thinking that a tranny fluid change might help with these issues?

What fluid should I go with? Based on my readings, I am thinking of going with RedLine D4 and doing the 3x3 flush. Dealer "changed the fluid" before I got the car at 100k miles, so I imagine it was just a single drain with OEM fluid. Fluid when I did the switches looked a little dirty, but I am by no means an expert on tranny fluid.

For the input delay, could it be my APP sensor? I have noticed it is somewhat random, but I am trying to see if I can replicate this consistently.

Appreciate and help! Thanks!
Old 11-17-2016 | 02:01 PM
Senior Moderator

OEM fluid and yes APP sensor
Old 11-17-2016 | 02:49 PM
Racer

So has the OEM fluid improved in the last few years? It seems like in many of the older posts people are swearing against it. Now, however, people seem to be recommending it again. Would this be the ATF-DW1?

I will look into replacing the APP sensor soon. Like I said, it maybe happens once a day and it's pretty minor. Just a delay from when I hit the gas until I actually start to get acceleration, then all of a sudden it revs up to where it should be if I were to depress the pedal that far over that time (if that makes sense). I don't believe it's any issue with the tranny slipping because I have only ever noticed it when I am accelerating at very low speeds, most often a stop.
Old 11-18-2016 | 10:38 AM
Racer

Whats APP for my knowledge? is it the pressure switches?
Old 11-18-2016 | 10:38 AM
Suzuka Master

The new ATF is def better than that Z1 craps.
Old 11-18-2016 | 10:52 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by mazen222
Whats APP for my knowledge? is it the pressure switches?
Accelerator Pedal Position sensor. My understanding is that if it starts to fail, then you will have input lag because the car doesn't know exactly where the pedal is.

In my case, it is only randomly occurring. From reading other threads, I believe it will only get worse and potentially start causing the car to go into limp mode. There are a couple threads on it out there.

truonghthe --

Good to know on the tranny fluid! I had been reading that around the forums! Thanks.
I will be buying and using this.

Last edited by NoTLoud; 11-18-2016 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-18-2016 | 11:57 AM
Drifting

Instead of pressing on the pedal, attempt to re-create your acceleration issues using your cruise control. If there is still a "lag", it is not the APP sensor.

Mine never caused a code nor limp mode. It just made driving suck. Guess how much fun it is to drive a manual when you can't smoothly apply light throttle at low speeds. Or better...guess how many glares I got from my wife when I either stalled it, bucked it, or lit 'em up when taking off from a stop.