O4'TL won't start

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 01:06 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
O4'TL won't start

We've had the 04TL for 3yrs 9mo and about 43k miles (within warranty) and have had no problems with it so far. 3mo before warranty expires, we ran ino the 'car won't start' problem.

The first time it happenned was last monday when my wife was trying it. The car made the cranking sounds but didn't start. She tried again about half hour later and then it started fine. After she reached home and parked, she tried to give it a try again and had the same problem. Later when I tried, it started fine but we didn't drive it for a week.

Today, I took the car to the dealer and it started fine on my way to the dealer. But, when I was explaining the problem to my dealer, he tried it and it wouldn't go beyond the cranking sounds. He tried it multiple times and had the same issue.

Has anyone run into this problem lately? I checked the posts on 3G garage, but the posts indicate that their car would start after multiple tries.

Besides, what are the possible problems here? The dealer ruled out the battery because he said it does crank.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 361 Likes on 316 Posts
Fuel pump? Dirty fuel filter? Good thing is actually had the problem at the dealership. Should be repaired under warranty.........good luck.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:27 PM
Race Director

Received 277 Likes on 161 Posts
I think it is the Alternator...or

Is there pressure in the fuel line?

If you hear clicks, the starter is fine. The battery I'm assuming is good too.
Old 06-16-2008, 02:08 PM
06 RL - 04 TL

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Have an '04 with Nav and it was some supporting "box" (have forgotten the exact name - controller of some sort I think) that would drain the battery. I believe that we would have to jump start it once it wouldn't start (no crank or slow crank if I remember correctly).

Consider this an FYI...doesn't really sound like your problem if it's been cranking good for you.

Tom
Old 06-16-2008, 02:40 PM
Previous Owner

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Battery? My battery was swapped out in year 3 I think. So have many others here.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:09 PM
from d.c. to tennessee

similar problem

i used to have a problem with an old accord that if i would drive it for a little bit and it heated up when i turned it off I had a problem starting it back up. It would crank forever but would not catch. I would have to let it sit for a little bit before it would do anything. When I took it to the dealer they said it was something to do with the ignition. Some type of relay had a short or something along those lines. They replaced it and I never had a problem again.
Old 06-16-2008, 05:49 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I tried to start my car this morning, no luck (04 TL). Finally about the 3rd try it started enough to where i could give it a little gas to up the idle. I made a few phone calls, and it was diagnosed over the phone by my friends as bad o2 sensors. Took it to one of their shops to get it looked at tonight, and sure enough, the 2 main o2 sensors (out of 4 total) went bad. Luckily since he has his own shop, i can get them cheap, but still its a hassle going to your car and having it not start first try.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:59 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by scottDOTb
i used to have a problem with an old accord that if i would drive it for a little bit and it heated up when i turned it off I had a problem starting it back up. It would crank forever but would not catch. I would have to let it sit for a little bit before it would do anything. When I took it to the dealer they said it was something to do with the ignition. Some type of relay had a short or something along those lines. They replaced it and I never had a problem again.

Thanks everyone for your replies; I've never been disappointed with the feedback on this forum.

My TL's symptoms seem similar to Scott's accord. The first time we saw this problem, my wife had driven for about 15miles. Then after some rest it was ok. Then she drove home for another 12miles and again the same problem. Today, I drove for about 10miles to the dealer and it happenned again. Later, in the afternoon when the dealer tried to recreate the problem (without driving any distance), it wouldn't happen.
Old 06-16-2008, 08:12 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
Did you leave it at the dealer? Sounds like a possible dead cell in the battery to me. Are you still on the original?
Old 06-16-2008, 08:34 PM
SSM Sport Shifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the same trouble that Scott had. My 98 Accord would not start sometimes and if you drove it for a while sometimes it would just die. I would try to restart it & nothing. After
a few trys it would finally start up. The problem got worse over time. It was a relay that was connected to the ignition. (located under the driver side dash) Tried taking the car
to a dealership & they couldnt figure it out. My neighbor helped me with the problem & he pointed out the problem. Ordered the part & replaced it, car never had the same problem. My neighbor has worked on Honda's for over 15years so he knew a little bit about these cars.

Hope this helps
Old 06-16-2008, 09:35 PM
Have A Nice Day!!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by LoveMyTL-S
Fuel pump? Dirty fuel filter? Good thing is actually had the problem at the dealership. Should be repaired under warranty.........good luck.
If it's not the relay then i agree with LoveMyTL-S , this is due to letting the car run on constant empty ! because the "sediments" from the fuel strarts to accumulate and it will eventually clog your fuel pump , it's best to gas your car when it's at least a quarter left , to avoid any future headaches ! GOOD LUCK