Not the typical suspension knocking problem.

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 10:19 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,812 Likes on 1,283 Posts
Not the typical suspension knocking problem.

I started to post this in my ongoing bodyshop thread but I'll have to confirm tomorrow it's something either the body shop or dealer did.

Driving steady state down the road even without bumps, without turning the wheel, and without accelerating I get a knocking in the floor. It seems totally random, not in time with speed or bumps or anything. I think it happens a little more often under acceleration.

I also noticed the front tires are severely worn on the inside edges but that might be left over from when the compliance bushings were torn and I had all 5 degrees of toe. It's worn weird, the tires have lost about an inch of their width and they step down at the inside edge and level off. It's not at an angle as usual but a step.

I checked the mounts. Rocked the car side to side, back and forth, and up and down and no noise. Turned the steering wheel left and right lock to lock and no noise. Slammed on the brakes and floored it and nothing. Just a random knocking or popping noise somewhere under the floor from my feet forward, seems like the middle. The car is heavily dynamatted in this area so the fact that I can hear and feel a knock means it's bad.

I'm hoping it's exhaust hitting the body but there's a twist...

Right before I heard the noise, I noticed the steering was super easy to turn to the left and much harder to turn to the right. Tire pressures are fine and identical from side to side. The noise coupled with the weird steering lead me to believe it's another suspension issue.

I'll figure it out tomorrow, luckily I'm off, just seeing if anyone has had a similar experience. Hopefully if it turns out to be another bodyshop issue the mods can merge this one with the bodyshop thread.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:39 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Ouch! GL with the TL, its almost fixed. Have you looked at you rack and or pinon? that steering issue is esspecially unique, you should be able to find the problem based soon!
Old 03-17-2011, 11:06 PM
Team Owner

Still can't find the problem. It's more on the passenger side, no noise when the suspension is loaded around a corner. It does seem to come and go with very, very small sharp impacts. I jacked it up and everything looks fine.

Now for the weird part. I pulled the whole interior out today to do sound deadening or my stereo. While I'm in the car I could hear the loud popping sound from the passenger side. After hearing it several times I got out and shook it side to side by pushing on the roof, stood on the door sill (all plastic removed) and bounced my 220lbs on it, popped the hood and bounced the front end and pushed the car forward and backwards and nothing, no noise at all. Once again I turned the wheels lock to lock with the car sitting still to really load the system and no noise. If I can get the interior back in in time tomorrow I'm going to take it to my old transmission shop and put it up on a lift.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:06 AM
Chapter Leader (San Antonio)

Received 433 Likes on 319 Posts
Could it be the Upper/Lower Control Arm Bushing? Ball joints? Only thing I can think of.
Old 03-21-2011, 12:20 PM
Team Owner

Still can't find it but I haven't had a chance to put it on a lift yet. Its gotten worse, can be felt in the floorboard on both sides. Jacking the car up and letting it down even letting it down hard won't reproduce it. Powerbraking won't reproduce it. Only driving straight down the street will do it. I'm starting to suspect the rack.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:05 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,999 Likes on 1,420 Posts
Originally Posted by I hate cars
Still can't find it but I haven't had a chance to put it on a lift yet. Its gotten worse, can be felt in the floorboard on both sides. Jacking the car up and letting it down even letting it down hard won't reproduce it. Powerbraking won't reproduce it. Only driving straight down the street will do it. I'm starting to suspect the rack.
check the front sub-frame area and make sure no welds are broken!
Old 03-21-2011, 06:24 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by csmeance
check the front sub-frame area and make sure no welds are broken!
Believe me, that has crossed my mind. If I bang on the front portion of the subframe with my fist the whole front of the car shakes badly. I've never hit it before so I have nothing to compare it to but it doesn't feel right. It might be time to shut it down until I have time to really look at it.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:52 PM

Received 16,261 Likes on 11,972 Posts
Good luck.