Noise when accellerating

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2006, 02:06 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Noise when accellerating

I bought my 2006 TL (5AT) on March 11th and currently has 7023 miles. I'm now noticing a clicking sort of sound from the engine when you accellerate. I heard the noise while at the McDonald's drive thru. Being up close to a wall with the window down let me here the sound. Its hard to describe other than it sounds like a junky car noise. The sound only seems present while in gear and accellerating. The sound is not heard if the car is at idle.

Has anyone noticed this sound when the accellerate.

This is different from my previous delema where the short block was replaced....
https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/modded-03-cobra-vs-sc-corvette-video-138349/
Old 07-19-2006, 07:25 PM
Racer

After reading your other thread, I am not so sure it's not another cylinder or the same cylinder having issues.
Old 07-20-2006, 02:43 PM
7th Gear

I just took my 2006 tl into the dealer a 2nd time to complain about a noise when accelerating at about 0 to 25 mph. It sounds like a diesel noise or similar. Of course when I got to the dealer, I could not get the carto make the noise. The service people say they have not heard of this nor do they know what it could be. All they say is when it happens again stop by for usto hear it. This has been going on for approximately 4 months. This car has only 10,000 miles on it.
Old 07-20-2006, 03:25 PM
2FAST4U

Originally Posted by proxcon
I bought my 2006 TL (5AT) on March 11th and currently has 7023 miles. I'm now noticing a clicking sort of sound from the engine when you accellerate. I heard the noise while at the McDonald's drive thru. Being up close to a wall with the window down let me here the sound. Its hard to describe other than it sounds like a junky car noise. The sound only seems present while in gear and accellerating. The sound is not heard if the car is at idle.

Has anyone noticed this sound when the accellerate.

This is different from my previous delema where the short block was replaced....
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138349

Check with your local dealer, i know there is a recall for TL for that year. You can even find out what it is exactly what it is online, at edmunds.com.
Old 07-20-2006, 08:24 PM
rec
Advanced

I noticed a similar sound on mine last week, but earlier today heard it again and noticed it happening fairly consistently. LIke yours it does not happen in P or N, only while in gear. I noticed it when the car was accellerating and about to shift in the 2000-2500 RPM range. I've got about 2500 miles on the car.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:03 PM
Burning Brakes

Probably the heat shield issue that many have. It sound like its a whistling noise only when accelerating above 2000 rpm. I know its the heatshield but havent brought it to the dealer yet, not worried about it. My mom's Pilot makes that same noise too
Old 07-21-2006, 10:55 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by michael W
I just took my 2006 tl into the dealer a 2nd time to complain about a noise when accelerating at about 0 to 25 mph. <B>It sounds like a diesel noise or similar.</B> Of course when I got to the dealer, I could not get the car to make the noise. The service people say they have not heard of this nor do they know what it could be. All they say is when it happens again stop by for us to hear it. This has been going on for approximately 4 months. This car has only 10,000 miles on it.
Yes! That's exactly what it sounds like... like a diesel. And it dosen't seem to make the noise all the time.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:09 AM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I have a similar problem on my 05 TL. The clicking or pinging-type noise only happens when the car is accelerating and has not reached operating temperature. Once it reaches operating temperature, the noise goes away. So I kind of figure that it can't be an engine pinging or knocking problem. I'm about a 1K to my 10K service. I'll have it checked out and let you guys know what it is.

BTW, where is the heat shield located that may causing the noise?
Old 07-21-2006, 12:46 PM
Mofo

I have a similar problem...it sounds like its coming fron the front right part of the car...
Old 07-27-2006, 09:56 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 293 Likes on 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeffa1

BTW, where is the heat shield located that may causing the noise?
A bump for an answer .. I have the same noise .. anyone have a pix of the heat shield? Location?
Old 07-28-2006, 04:28 PM
1st Gear

Arrow acuraeric

My 2005 has a "ping ping" when accelorating. It is heard best when driving between rows of houses, or out of a drive-thru as you said. I am getting it serviced next week and will let you know the outcome.
Old 07-28-2006, 06:15 PM
rec
Advanced

From the March 2006 ACura Service News:

Pinging or Buzzing Between
1,500 and 2,500 RPM
Got a ’03–05 MDX or ’04–05 TL in your shop that
pings, buzzes, or whistles under load with the
engine running at 1,500 to 2,500 rpm? The culprit
could be the intermediate shaft bearing heat
shield. This noise can change with engine
temperature and may be intermittent. Sometimes,
you can hear it only when the engine is cold.
If you suspect the heat shield is making all the
hubbub, try loosening the mounting bolts,
pushing the heat shield as far to the left or right as
you can (the direction doesn’t matter, you just
want to anchor the shield against the bolts), then
tightening the bolts to 21 lb-ft. Be careful,
though, not to overtighten the bolts; if you do,
you could strip them. The heat shield is made to
move around a little bit even when it’s securely
bolted in place, but anchoring it against the bolts
and tightening them will cut down on the
possibility of rattles.
Test-drive the vehicle, and listen for the noise. If
you can’t hear the noise, you’re done. If you can
still hear the noise, hook up a STEELMAN®
ChassisEAR™ diagnostic tool (T/N JSP-SM06600)
and test-drive the vehicle again to track down the
source.
Old 08-05-2006, 10:13 AM

Good find rec! Thats probably my problem. Anyone have a pic of where the heat shield is located?
Old 08-05-2006, 11:52 AM
Racer

You can view a picture of the heat shield by viewing the March 2006 Service News in the Acura Service News Bulletins.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:33 AM
TL 2012 SH-AWD TECH/UMBER

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Mine as exactly the same thing, around 1500 to 2500 rpm , best heard at 2000 RPM, not heard on Neutral or P. IF you take off in 2nd near a wall you can hear it very easily. Mine is an AT with 40 000 miles. They took off the famous heat shield and the noise is always there. Could it be something related to transmission ?

A special state rep from Acura did a try with me and noticed it and said it's normal. SO i said, give a letter mentionning this normality. He replies :'' I didn't exactly mean it's normal but it's not dangerous for the engine or the car''. So he must do some research but no answer yet.

So for me it's not the heat shield for sure

It's not the gas also because they said before, it was knocking, pinging from gas, i tried different brand and 93 Octan gaz and no change.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:11 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by sebounet2005
Mine as exactly the same thing, around 1500 to 2500 rpm , best heard at 2000 RPM, not heard on Neutral or P. IF you take off in 2nd near a wall you can hear it very easily. Mine is an AT with 40 000 miles. They took off the famous heat shield and the noise is always there. Could it be something related to transmission ?

A special state rep from Acura did a try with me and noticed it and said it's normal. SO i said, give a letter mentionning this normality. He replies :'' I didn't exactly mean it's normal but it's not dangerous for the engine or the car''. So he must do some research but no answer yet.

So for me it's not the heat shield for sure

It's not the gas also because they said before, it was knocking, pinging from gas, i tried different brand and 93 Octan gaz and no change.
That is interesting. Sounds like you're getting same run around that I'm getting from my dealer. I too thought initially it was the head shield or octane ping since I had just bought the car maybe the prev. owner put low grade in. I've ran 3 tanks of high grade and noise hasn't subsided. The dealer also hooked mine up to a ChassisEAR as mentioned above and still came up with nothing. It's rather annoying, and everyone else that hears it thinks your car is falling apart or is junk.
Old 08-06-2006, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by BoostedAWD
That is interesting. Sounds like you're getting same run around that I'm getting from my dealer. I too thought initially it was the head shield or octane ping since I had just bought the car maybe the prev. owner put low grade in. I've ran 3 tanks of high grade and noise hasn't subsided. The dealer also hooked mine up to a ChassisEAR as mentioned above and still came up with nothing. It's rather annoying, and everyone else that hears it thinks your car is falling apart or is junk.
I've used Premium since day 1. I hear mine all the time and it never goes away. I have 25K miles now. It wasnt there in the beginning when I first purchased my car.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:23 PM
Suzuka Master

The heat shield thing id it a possible DIY if you run your car up on ramps?
Old 08-06-2006, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by invincible569
I've used Premium since day 1. I hear mine all the time and it never goes away. I have 25K miles now. It wasnt there in the beginning when I first purchased my car.

I also use premium since day one, no exception. ANd the noise wasn't here when the car was new.

Today i try it again in a small silent road in town, with car parked on the both side. At take off from 0 you can hear it also, windows open or not. At this speed it sound more like a grinding noise or a diesel noise, definitly the same noise i can hear at higher speed. I'm very afraid it could be related to transmission or converter.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:06 AM
DEG
Advanced

Fuel injectors are frequently the source of ticking sounds also. Usually heard at idle, but just off idle is reported also.
Old 08-07-2006, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by DEG
Fuel injectors are frequently the source of ticking sounds also. Usually heard at idle, but just off idle is reported also.
That has been my guess all along because I can be at a stop and push the gas a bit and it it comes on. Its only when you press the gas pedal.

I used to have this sound on a previous Honda Accord. When I put regular gas, you could hear it loud and clear.. but when you put supreme, the sound was gone.

I want to take my car in, but i dont want the mechanics playing with my car coming back with a big dent in my wheels or something.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:44 PM

For me and i think most of us it appears only when a gear is engaged.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:23 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by Jesstzn
The heat shield thing is it a possible DIY if you run your car up on ramps?

Cheap bump .. anyone fixed it themselves? I'd rather try than drive 3.5 hours to the dealer.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:18 PM
Suzuka Master

UpDate

I put the car up on blocks and went under it and I found the shield but was near impossible to see or do anything with.

I did get ahold of it and yes per the bulletin it "floats". So I twisted hard on it to try and jam it to one side then went for a drive .. Walla ... noise gone . So now I know what it is its up to Acura to deal with it.

I doubt it will stay jammed.

I wonder if they could put washers on the nuts so it doesn't float .. don't know why it needs to float.

Any thoughts?
Old 08-09-2006, 04:34 PM
Instructor

I also have the same problem with my 2005 AM TL it only makes the noise when i am accellerating.The noise sounds like its coming from either the engine or my exhaust...should i take my car to acura??
Old 08-09-2006, 09:46 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by ShO n TL
I also have the same problem with my 2005 AM TL it only makes the noise when i am accellerating.The noise sounds like its coming from either the engine or my exhaust...should i take my car to acura??
I would and print out the Service bulletin posted above and take it with you.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:54 PM
rec
Advanced

If they issued the TSB for '04s and certain VIN 05's, wouldn't one reasonably think we shouldn't be having the same problem on our 06's?
Old 08-09-2006, 09:57 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally Posted by rec
If they issued the TSB for '04s and certain VIN 05's, wouldn't one reasonably think we shouldn't be having the same problem on our 06's?
Youd think wouldn't you .. but I have it on my 06.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:13 AM
Cruisin'

newbie here. yup, ive got a wdp 06 auto, and it's got that whistling problem. also have a rattle on the driver side dashboard, it seems like it's coming from the vent side, sounds like a loose screw. anyway, my dealer already knows about the problems, just waiting for them to call me when a loaner is available. i'm a little worried about the transmission chugging though. although i havn't really paid attention to it much, im afraid to find out. i got rid of my 98 v6 coupe accord because of the same reasons. damn.

nan08
wdp '06 w/ navi
Old 08-29-2006, 12:03 PM
7th Gear

The noise that drove me nuts when I accelerated, the noise that has been described as a "pinging,buzzing, knocking or dieseling" is the heat shield. I took my 2006 TL to the dealer with the March 2006 technical bulletin and said I wanted them to do the fix. The dealer "lowered exhaust pipe A, removed the heat shield to repair the intermediate shaft bearing heat shield" They found a loose seal and repaired or replaced it. The noise was gone. It has been a week and the noise has not returned. There is no question in my mind--- the seal on the heat shield is causing the problem that everyone is complaining about.
Old 08-30-2006, 08:02 AM
Cruisin'

yup, went to the dealer last week also, they kept my car for couple of days. replaced the intermediate shaft bearing heat shield and since then, noise was gone. drives like a brand new car again. haha.

**nan/06 wdp w/ nav
Old 09-08-2006, 10:13 PM
Pro

re

i hear a vibration on the gaz pedal when 1st switching to 2nd on automatic between 1500 and 2500rpm, anyone else feels it on the gaz pedal? any fixes done to this problem??
Old 09-13-2006, 11:45 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by michael W
The noise that drove me nuts when I accelerated, the noise that has been described as a "pinging,buzzing, knocking or dieseling" is the heat shield. I took my 2006 TL to the dealer with the March 2006 technical bulletin and said I wanted them to do the fix. The dealer "lowered exhaust pipe A, removed the heat shield to repair the intermediate shaft bearing heat shield" They found a loose seal and repaired or replaced it. The noise was gone. It has been a week and the noise has not returned. There is no question in my mind--- the seal on the heat shield is causing the problem that everyone is complaining about.
I took my car in yesterday for my 10K B service. Told the service advisor about the rattling noise on acceleration. They found the loose heat shield to be the problem. They retorqued the bolt. And so far, the rattle is gone. Thanks guys for pointing out the March '06 service bulletin.
Old 09-14-2006, 01:42 AM
What can I get ya?

Running high enough octane? Predetonation?
Old 09-14-2006, 12:59 PM
Pro

For all those that think that the problem was fixed with the heat shield replacement, I would think again.

I have had that fix performed 3 times. After the fix, the sound came back after about month of driving. I'm just going to live with the noise for now and tell people I have a turbo... This car is hopefully going to go bye bye in a year or so.

I think many Honda's have this issue. My old '98 accord had this noise. My brother-in-laws 2005 accord is starting to exhibit this noise. I think it's just the design. They haven't thought of a way to stop it yet properly. Honda needs to start thinking rear wheel drive...
Old 09-15-2006, 01:56 PM
2006 NBP Acura TL

Originally Posted by HuKaShI
For all those that think that the problem was fixed with the heat shield replacement, I would think again.

I have had that fix performed 3 times. After the fix, the sound came back after about month of driving. I'm just going to live with the noise for now and tell people I have a turbo... This car is hopefully going to go bye bye in a year or so.

I think many Honda's have this issue. My old '98 accord had this noise. My brother-in-laws 2005 accord is starting to exhibit this noise. I think it's just the design. They haven't thought of a way to stop it yet properly. Honda needs to start thinking rear wheel drive...

I hope this is not the case with everyone else. I have the same issue, and I just recently noticed it. I will be taking my car in soon for my oil change, and hopefully they can fix this problem. It reminds me of my previous 95 civic that had the same problem....
Old 11-01-2006, 12:30 AM
8th Gear

I had the same problem and i just took it to the dealership one day and they removed it... car runs and sounds perfect now...
Old 11-19-2007, 12:12 AM
Cruisin'

Sorry to dig up the old thread, but I went through the repair procedure for the loose heat shield today and I wanted to post some tips for those taking it on without the help of their dealer. I followed the Service Bulletin that was posted in the 3G garage.

First tip: you will definitely need a breaker bar to remove the bolts that hold the exhaust in place. Six of the nine bolts you have remove are torqued to 40ft/lb and since these bolts are heated up and cooled all the time, they are siezed up pretty well.

Second tip: when adjusting the heat shield, one of the bolts is nearly innaccessible. It's tucked up above a bunch of other components and the only way I could get a wrench in there was to thread my arm behind the passenger tire and up and over. I was able to loosen the bolt to reposition the heat shield and retighten it down, but I didn't have room to get the torque wrench in there.

Third tip: I pushed the heat shield to the left to anchor it against the bolt, but even after torqueing down the bolts I could move the heat shield with my hand. I suspect that is why some complained of the problem reoccuring. The heat shield sort of slides around within these little metal bushings...so even while it's tighter than before it may eventually make it's way back to it's original position. Also note that the Service Bulletin that explains how to replace the heat shield has you torque the bolts to something like 16ft/lbs, but the Acura Service News has you torque to 21ft/lbs. I followed the Acura Service News recommendation to get them plenty tight.

Fourth tip: the Service Bulletin advises you to replace the exhaust nuts when you're reattaching everything. I would definitely do this instead of reusing the old nuts because I unfortunately stripped one of the bolts trying to reinstall one and I'm pretty sure I cross-threaded another. The trouble is that these nuts/bolts endure crazy heat, and the threads can easily get screwy when you remove the nuts. I purchased some replacement nuts from ACE Hardware, look for 10mm (M10) x 1.25 flange nuts. I still have one stripped bolt...but the other two bolts are holding it together pretty darn tight, so I'm hoping for the best.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:38 PM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking Here is what I did...

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167493

This is what I did to fix my problem.

A-Train
Old 11-19-2007, 10:40 PM
Racer

last month i addressed this issue about the accellerating noise, i got a new transmision. Did your's happen when the car is cold?

Quick Reply: Noise when accellerating