New to TLs, a few issues with mine.

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 11:00 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question New to TLs, a few issues with mine.

2005 TL 6MT. 201k miles. Bone stock. All regular and recommended maintenance done on schedule according to receipts and records.

So I've had the car for roughly two months. I have a detailed maintenance record from the previous owner and she was a school teacher so I know the car wasn't beat on. The interior is close to mint and the outside is nice too, no clear coat damage, etc.

I have noticed some things that are abnormal and I was hoping some of you experienced people would be able to point me in the right direction on some of these. I don't have access to the internet but only for about 10 minutes a day currently. I typed this up in Word and pasted here. Any help is much appreciated because at the moment I just can't scour the web myself.

1.) My air bag light in the dash is on, no idea why.

2.) My nav screen will randomly re-boot back to the Acura screen and then come back.

3.) Perhaps the most worrying. Sometimes, not always, the car just doesn't seem to respond to the accelerator pedal. I can put it all the way to the floor and barely anything happens. I first thought maybe clutch but the RPMs don't even fluctuate. It's almost like it's just ignoring the throttle. It doesn't always do this, there are times when I attempt to re-create the issue and the car definitely responds and zips pretty good. That's what is throwing me off that it's not a 100% thing.

4.) I get a lot of vibration in the wheel any time I go over 60mph. I have had the alignment done and made sure the wheels were balanced and properly torqued down.

5.) Trunk pops from the button inside the cabin, but not using the keyfob. Other buttons on the keyfob work fine and the battery is new.

6.) When reversing and then moving forward, the side mirrors attempt to angle down and return to position but they mostly just go apeshit in any direction. I disabled the automatic adjustment. Is there a relay or switch that I should be looking at?
Old 06-20-2019, 11:51 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I can answer some questions, hope it helps...

Answer to 3: Your Accelerator Pedal Sensor is going out will need to replace. Easy to replace.

Answer to 4: the balancing is very finicky on the TLs. I would recommend getting wheels balanced from a shop that uses Hunter wheel balancers.

Answer to 6: Common issue with TL my mirrors did that when I only had 50k on the car. Usually will need to replace the motor behind the mirror or I think some people grease it as well which helps.
The following users liked this post:
EmwunGarand (06-24-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 11:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,989 Likes on 1,412 Posts
1. probably a bad seatbelt. Get autozone to read the code. If it is the seatbelt it's covered for life of the car and acura will fix it for free.
2. faulty nav drive, if you get them refurbished from alpine the cost is now around $700 for a working unit.
3. Get a new Accelerator pedal position sensor, but beware the TL has a clutch delay valve delays clutch engagement that can cause an odd feeling. Plus clutch is self adjusting so either it'll work or fail one day.
4. If car is lowered, axles are 100% the issue. Check front compliance bushings, they tend to tear and cause vibrations.
5. Check the position of the "trunk switch" in the glovebox. It's so valet can't open your trunk and steal your stuff. Put in the off/on position as needed. If it doesn't work, it's been left unplugged when someone did the cabin ac filter. Take the panel off and plug switch back in.
6. Faulty side mirror actuators. Each is $40 bux and easy to swap. You'll need 07 mirror motors since acura's part site doesn't list them for 04-06..... If your mirrors have turned browned get new glass at the same time too. Leave the mirror switch in the middle (not left or right) and neither mirror should go down. You'll also notice after you fix the mirrors your memory seats will start working again!
EmwunGarand (06-24-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 11:23 AM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
1.) My air bag light in the dash is on, no idea why.
-- is something sitting on the passenger seat?

2.) My nav screen will randomly re-boot back to the Acura screen and then come back.
-- can't help here....no nav for me

3.) Perhaps the most worrying. Sometimes, not always, the car just doesn't seem to respond to the accelerator pedal. I can put it all the way to the floor and barely anything happens. I first thought maybe clutch but the RPMs don't even fluctuate. It's almost like it's just ignoring the throttle. It doesn't always do this, there are times when I attempt to re-create the issue and the car definitely responds and zips pretty good. That's what is throwing me off that it's not a 100% thing.
-- agree with others, probably the APP sensor

4.) I get a lot of vibration in the wheel any time I go over 60mph. I have had the alignment done and made sure the wheels were balanced and properly torqued down.
-- does the behavior change after a tire rotation?
-- if wheels and tires are confirmed to be all good and round...next step is more likely axles

5.) Trunk pops from the button inside the cabin, but not using the keyfob. Other buttons on the keyfob work fine and the battery is new.
- do you have more than one fob to test with?
- guessing your button on the remote has failed

6.) When reversing and then moving forward, the side mirrors attempt to angle down and return to position but they mostly just go apeshit in any direction. I disabled the automatic adjustment. Is there a relay or switch that I should be looking at?
- can attempt to clean the motor/gear assemblies, but more than likely will need to replace that assembly to really fix it
- there are two issues...one is the grease inside hardens...the second is the electrical contacts get dirty/worn
EmwunGarand (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 10:46 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, thanks fellas. Appreciate the info.