New TL owner with a couple questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2006, 10:57 AM
Brake dust is a badge

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New TL owner with a couple questions

I just got my '06 TL 6MT w/ nav and HPT last week and damn I love it. A few questions though:

1. Does anyone recommend conditioning the leather ASAP? I've heard a lot of stories about the leather getting cracked and whatnot.

2. Is it normal to get horrible gas mileage for the first tank? According to my trip computer, I'm averaging 15MPG.

3. If I change out my transmission fluid to a synthetic brand, will it void my warranty? I heard that the transmission feels totally different when a synthetic fluid is used.

Any replies would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-06-2006, 03:35 PM
ITL
I do my own work.

1. Don't think it matters

2. Don't think so.

3. It's iffy...But you need to search around before you swap fluids. Only use an Acura certified fluid. The exception to this is the GM Synchromesh Friction Modified. I use it in my MT as do many others here.
Old 04-06-2006, 05:22 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by DustFreeVinyl
I just got my '06 TL 6MT w/ nav and HPT last week and damn I love it. A few questions though:

1. Does anyone recommend conditioning the leather ASAP? I've heard a lot of stories about the leather getting cracked and whatnot.

2. Is it normal to get horrible gas mileage for the first tank? According to my trip computer, I'm averaging 15MPG.

3. If I change out my transmission fluid to a synthetic brand, will it void my warranty? I heard that the transmission feels totally different when a synthetic fluid is used.

1) Use Lexol as required. Thats about it
2) I started out at 25MPG and never dipped below. Most of my driving is highway but even around town gets >20. I'm not "on it" all the time though so if you are that could be the difference.
3) I changed the MTF at about 5KMi. I used Honda MTF again and the shifting was much, much better. I'll probably just stay with the Honda MTF at regular intervals. It is very easy to change DIY. I would not jump to any conclusions. The warranty thing is an open question. Most think Acura would never be able to tell but I think nobody has claimed a gearbox problem after running the non-Honda fluids.
Old 04-10-2006, 01:06 PM
Brake dust is a badge

Thanks for the info guys. I think I'm gonna wait til my engine breaks in before I start worrying about gas mileage. That and I kind of punch it when I don't need to...haha, but that's the fun of the 6 speed. I'm also going to change out the factory fill tranny fluid, I've read (in this forum) that the factory fill stuff is pretty bad and even regular Honda MTF makes shifting much better.
Old 04-12-2006, 09:15 AM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by DustFreeVinyl

1. I think you should condition it, especially since summer is right around the corner.
2. When my car was delivered, the rep informed me that the first two tanks of gas would burn very quickly and settle down from there. He was correct.
3. I would ask the dealer, per the manual it has to meet certain standards.

I hopes this helps
Old 05-19-2006, 09:36 PM
7th Gear

Mileage

I agree with your plan. Too soon to tell. I set mine up in a simple Excel spreadsheet and track every tank. At 9k mi, the overall total was 24.4 mpg, but my city driving is easy and little stop-and-go. I've noticed that the trip comp is usually about 1 mpg optimistic compared to computing the actual amount from the number of gallons used. But if you want to compare, and have some smooth roads, I have found that my 6MT 2005, routinely gets 28 mpg at steady speeds in the 78-80 range. If there is other traffic ahead, I see some benefit from drafting, even at safe following distances, and have seen 28 mpg average with average speed of 80 and several miles at 90-95 mph, following others, balancing out some 60 mph times. Averaging 72-75 gives around 31 mpg, but I don't see the slower speeds enough to tell more than that. Mine seemed to increase mileage 1-2 mpg after the first 1k mi. or so, but it's really hard to be sure whether I was easier on the gas, or the car was improving. I've seen higher mileages from time to time, but the ones above are from trips of 150 mi or more to try to even out the differences from hills and stuff. I think tire pressure makes a difference. I have the original (optional summer tires) Bridgestone RE 030 tires at about 43 front/40 rear PSI.

You will also find that most cars get really lousy mileage when they are cold, and that really cold weather (like well below freezing) takes a big toll on mileage until the engine warms up. My seat-of-the-pants estimate from when I used to have an instant mileage readout, was that in 10 degree F weather, my mileage was about one half of normal for the first 3-5 miles.