New Tires = scraches on rims

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 04:56 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Tires = scraches on rims

Hey, check this out.

I needed new tires for my car, so where did I go for advice?? ACURAZINE!! I purchased the Goodyear Eagle F1 All Seasons....and you know what, there awsome!!

Anyway, let me get back to the issue. I got them installed at the Acura Dealership in Wilkes-Barre, PA (Motorworld - they suck! If you can avoid going to them by all means do it.) It took them forever to get them installed about 1/2 the day. Then when I got my car, they weren't balanced at all!! I had soo much vibration it thought that the motor was going to knock my hood off. So, I had to make another appoinment with them to balance the tires. So, I got them balanced and the vibrations were little to none, so I was happy...

The weather at the time was rainy and snowy for several days, so I waited to get my car washed. Well, just the other day I finally had a chance to wash my baby, only to find out that there were scraches on 3 of my rims. A perfect circle about 3/4 of an in. from the lip. I can't stand this dealership! But there the only one's "certified" to work on Acura's in a 100 mile radius.

I just thought that I would let you in on my troubles with this dealership and what happend to my rims. Oh, and this is not the only time I had issues with them as well. I have plenty of stories about Motorworld! -- Just let me know if you want to here all the pain they have put me though!!!
Old 01-16-2008, 06:08 PM
GO BLUE!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have the dealership repair the rims. I have had problems with my rims that the dealership has caused and some I have caused. The dealer has fixed mistakes they made and I have had mine fixed.

Did they tell you that they would not fix them?

BY the way, I have the same tires. Put them on in July and have had no complaints since.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:01 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,770 Likes on 4,341 Posts
Originally Posted by eduble2
... I can't stand this dealership! But there the only one's "certified" to work on Acura's in a 100 mile radius.

F*(k certified. That doesn't mean Jack!! Especially if they just mess up your car and you gotta keep going back.

The only service you have to let a dealer perform is Warranty service. Find a shop that know's what they're doing and does the job right. Try an indie, a good chain store or even a local Honda Dealer for basic services and Maint. Probably cost you less too.

Bad news is that now they've messed up your wheels you gotta go back. They should fix them.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:11 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Well that just sucks but I'm convinced the OE rims 04-06 are simply "asking" to get messed up by tire guys. I had a flat repaired and the guy was even trying to be extra careful. I even told him that I was really anal about it and that I'd really appreciate it if he was careful. He was trying to be careful and remounting the tire was fine but it was the balancer that f*(ked it up. The clamp that's supposed to hold the center bore actually made contact near the bolt circle and left a circular scratch. I think it's because of the way the center cap is so recessed.

I was able to buff it out but am convinced that no matter where I go when I need tires that I'm gonna be pissed off at all the scratches.

Reasons why the OE rims are "asking for damage"
  1. Stick on weights = doofus uses a metal putty knife to scrape them off.
  2. Small clearance for lugs - doofus uses a air wrench to spin off the lugs and takes all the paint out of the bore with the socket.
  3. No sidewall protection, rim protrudes beyond sidewall - doofus let's rim fall on face. ouch
  4. Recessed center cap so doofus lets balancer clamp contact face/spokes of rim

I once saw someone try and use hammer-on weights on the outside of rims like ours. That's a classic.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:41 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Adobeman
Well that just sucks but I'm convinced the OE rims 04-06 are simply "asking" to get messed up by tire guys.
Reasons why the OE rims are "asking for damage"
  1. Stick on weights = doofus uses a metal putty knife to scrape them off.
    This is not the fault of the wheels but the doofus you had working on them.
  2. Small clearance for lugs - doofus uses a air wrench to spin off the lugs and takes all the paint out of the bore with the socket.
    Maybe true, but I am a firm believer in taking the wheels off of the car myself and not giving them a chance to screw them up
  3. No sidewall protection, rim protrudes beyond sidewall - doofus let's rim fall on face. ouch
    True, another reason to change the tires and keep your doofus away from the wheels.
  4. Recessed center cap so doofus lets balancer clamp contact face/spokes of rim
    It looks like your installer may be using outdated equipment. Be sure to use an installer with the latest road force balancer and they will not have a problem.

I once saw someone try and use hammer-on weights on the outside of rims like ours. That's a classic.
Make sure you ask for stick on weights as there are more dummys out there than you might expect
I am not trying to start an argument but.........
Old 01-17-2008, 07:06 PM
The DVD-A Script Guy

Received 184 Likes on 131 Posts
Originally Posted by bmaczo6
I am not trying to start an argument but.........
I know your not. You may have misunderstood me. I know it's not the wheel's fault but rather the guy working on them. I just think there are some wheels that are more doofus-proof than ours.

Stick ons - I agree that that it's probably a rare guy that uses a metal knife but not less rare that might use goof-off and steel wool on the residue.

Take them off yourself - I agree. I do take the wheels off also and bring them in separately. No impact wrench damage or over-torquing that way. Doofus can still drop em on their face though.

I'll take your tips on the Hunter road force. I've heard that's the one to look for. Thanks

I was just pointing out 4 things I've noticed so that hopefully some others can now benefit and ask the right questions and point out areas of concern to tire guys.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:45 PM
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
@OP - When I had my new tires installed, the shop scratched-up all 4 of my wheels. Some when they took the lugs off with the socket/air wrentch and around the center when they balanced them.

Luckily, I caught it, and talked with the manger. He wanted to send them in to get repaired (refinished). I told him yeah, if they were used, but this is a brand new 2008. I want you to replace them with Acura wheels. After a few back-and-forth rounds, they agreed to buy me 4 new wheels through the dealer. The moral of the story is you need to stand outside while they work on your car, and/or take off your own wheels by hand. You can be very protective of your car when it gets serviced in my opinion.

I have also experienced cross threading lugs on my other cars because most tire shops have highschool aged kids working there who don't give a f*ck about your car. You should insist that lugs get started by hand... or again, do it yourself in their shop.

So, you should force them to replace them with new wheels. Also, about your F1's... read this thread which explains why I returned my F1's and got something else... they simply would not balance or pass a road force test. Here is a thread that talks about my experience of my RE960 A/S tires in the snow as an aside.
Old 01-19-2008, 10:03 AM
Racer

there hasn't been a shop i've visited over my short 19 yrs of owning cars that would allow me stand in their shop and watch, let alone to remove my own wheels/tires.
Old 01-19-2008, 01:45 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by New Car TL-S
there hasn't been a shop i've visited over my short 19 yrs of owning cars that would allow me stand in their shop and watch, let alone to remove my own wheels/tires.
How do you balance your tires?
Old 01-19-2008, 05:01 PM
rangerrn

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just purchased a brand new set of factory TL 06 wheels from a man in Torrence Ca. who works for Honda R&D. He says they were painted at the same factory that the stock colored TL wheels are. They had a one off paint scheme that can best be described as beautiful. They are a very bright silver with lots of metalflake and nearly look like chrome from a distance. I had him ship them directly to my local Acura dealer in Franklin TN., Gary Force Acura.

After mounting, the service manager came out and told me that the technician had a VERY difficult time mounting my tires. They are Bridgestone Turanza with Serenity, 235/45/17. The tech had scratched just one rim in two separate places. Both scratches were 2" in length, where the rim meets the spokes. The service manager ask me what he needed to do to make this right. I have not decided yet.
Old 01-20-2008, 03:57 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by darksky
@OP - When I had my new tires installed, the shop scratched-up all 4 of my wheels. Some when they took the lugs off with the socket/air wrentch and around the center when they balanced them.

Luckily, I caught it, and talked with the manger. He wanted to send them in to get repaired (refinished). I told him yeah, if they were used, but this is a brand new 2008. I want you to replace them with Acura wheels. After a few back-and-forth rounds, they agreed to buy me 4 new wheels through the dealer. The moral of the story is you need to stand outside while they work on your car, and/or take off your own wheels by hand. You can be very protective of your car when it gets serviced in my opinion.

I have also experienced cross threading lugs on my other cars because most tire shops have highschool aged kids working there who don't give a f*ck about your car. You should insist that lugs get started by hand... or again, do it yourself in their shop.

So, you should force them to replace them with new wheels. Also, about your F1's... read this thread which explains why I returned my F1's and got something else... they simply would not balance or pass a road force test. Here is a thread that talks about my experience of my RE960 A/S tires in the snow as an aside.
Ya, I got my tires from TireRack and they sent me 2 that didn't pass the road force test, so I called them up and they sent 2 others the following day, and they were going to pay $20.00 per tire for install and nitrogen. I was find with that.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:15 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
before letting service dept or tire joint have my car, i take them out and show them that my car is either scratch free or where damage that might be there prior to them taking my car...i then let them know that if my car comes back to me in any other way then the way i gave it to them that they will be responsible for the damage...if this is not agreed apon then i will go somewhere else...period
Old 01-21-2008, 03:11 PM
Racer

Sounds like a good police, vinnier. Maybe snapping a few digital pics prior to the work would be a good idea as well.
Old 01-21-2008, 04:56 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by darksky
How do you balance your tires?

not too sure i understand where you're going, but i let a shop do it. what i'm saying is there isn't a place out there that i've visited that would let me remove my wheels in their shop. but as far as rotation...you don't need automotive college to get it done.
Old 01-22-2008, 06:20 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by vinnier6
before letting service dept or tire joint have my car, i take them out and show them that my car is either scratch free or where damage that might be there prior to them taking my car...i then let them know that if my car comes back to me in any other way then the way i gave it to them that they will be responsible for the damage...if this is not agreed apon then i will go somewhere else...period

Ya, I should of done that!!
Old 01-22-2008, 06:36 PM
Advanced

results?!?

So, I just went back today and told them that I wanted to speak to the service manager. When I finally got a chance to talk to him, he brought out this "plastic" casing that he said that they use on all the rims, so "no metal would scratch the rims or even touch the rims".

So of course, I was kinda shocked after that comment. And some how they implied that "I" had cause the scratches on the rims. -- I mean perfect scratches about 3/4 in down from the lip of the rim. (I do have to say, that's impressive, even for me!!)

The service manager said that they would try to buff the scratches out. And they would let me use a Benz for the rental. At that point, I felt that I was just raped by an overweight guy in his mid 40's wearing an extra small suit from Kmart.

Can you believe this?!?
Old 01-22-2008, 10:56 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by eduble2
So, I just went back today and told them that I wanted to speak to the service manager. When I finally got a chance to talk to him, he brought out this "plastic" casing that he said that they use on all the rims, so "no metal would scratch the rims or even touch the rims".

So of course, I was kinda shocked after that comment. And some how they implied that "I" had cause the scratches on the rims. -- I mean perfect scratches about 3/4 in down from the lip of the rim. (I do have to say, that's impressive, even for me!!)

The service manager said that they would try to buff the scratches out. And they would let me use a Benz for the rental. At that point, I felt that I was just raped by an overweight guy in his mid 40's wearing an extra small suit from Kmart.

Can you believe this?!?
yep i had a service manager bring out the tech and ask him right in front of me if he dented and scratched my doors...believe it or not he said no, i looked at the guy and said you've got to be fu$king kidding me. who would say yes? an honest tech that doesn't care for his job?

but i'm over it now and will always require a walk around in daylight before and after service. if they object, i get service elsewhere.