New owner of Type S with a few questions.

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 01:31 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New owner of Type S with a few questions.

I purchased a 2008 Type S Silver/Black recently that has about 50K on it. Carfax shows the previous owner did keep up with maintenance, but completely failed at keeping up the interior. Got a couple questions...

1. Any way to remove small scratches from the plastic door handles?
2. Is there a vinyl wrap used to replace the two accent pieces that run along both sides of the center console?
3. The rubber pieces that run from front to back of the hood on the outside look almost rusted, anyway to clean these?
4. The dash is ashy and got a few scratches, from what I can tell 303 is best for this?
5. There is rust on the back calipers and along bottom of both rotors. Tried a wire brush, steelwool and WD-40 but it's still there.
6. Car didn't come with a manual, anywhere online I can get one from free?
7. When I test drove it I could have sworn I saw red accent light in both footwells. Now there is just a faint bit, is this coming from instrument lighting behind the dash? Or did I somehow turn it off?

I did try and search for answers to these but really didn't get the info I need, so any would be great.......Thanks!
Old 02-28-2011, 01:57 PM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
Originally Posted by CynFul_S_Type
I purchased a 2008 Type S Silver/Black recently that has about 50K on it. Carfax shows the previous owner did keep up with maintenance, but completely failed at keeping up the interior. Got a couple questions...

welcome to the forum

1. Any way to remove small scratches from the plastic door handles?

a good polishing compound and pc7424xp (or any suitable machined buffer) will get out fine scratches.

2. Is there a vinyl wrap used to replace the two accent pieces that run along both sides of the center console?

yes, http://www.stickercity.com has all kinds of vinyl. also our vendor AckTL05 can get you vinyl as well.

3. The rubber pieces that run from front to back of the hood on the outside look almost rusted, anyway to clean these?

not sure what you mean by these. clarify?

4. The dash is ashy and got a few scratches, from what I can tell 303 is best for this?

i use aerospace303 on my dash all the time. it will hide some imperfections for a little while, so you just have to apply it every few weeks.

5. There is rust on the back calipers and along bottom of both rotors. Tried a wire brush, steelwool and WD-40 but it's still there.

a lot of people get as much off as they can, and then paint them with a paint duplicator kit. do a google search and you'll find some options there.

6. Car didn't come with a manual, anywhere online I can get one from free?

did you buy from a dealer? mine did not have one either but i made them order one for me. idk if you can get one online, i want to say yes...but someone else will have to chime in and confirm.

7. When I test drove it I could have sworn I saw red accent light in both footwells. Now there is just a faint bit, is this coming from instrument lighting behind the dash? Or did I somehow turn it off?

the red footwell lighting is present on both driver n passenger side...but the lighting is really faint in my opinion. there is no way to turn it off unless you disconnect the wires. a lot of members just add their own lights down there. a search thru the forum threads and you'll find out all sorts of things you can do. just gotta search search search. i sometimes just google what i want and put acurazine somewhere in the title and boom it pops up.

I did try and search for answers to these but really didn't get the info I need, so any would be great.......Thanks!
see bold.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:08 PM
Intermediate

Thanks SharksBreath! Good info! Especially painting the rotor issue. THAT is driving me nuts. Now just got to figure out what color!!!

not sure what you mean by these. clarify?

Sorry, not the hood, they are on top about 6 inches from the door. Somekind of weather stripping? There are spots all over them, almost like rust. Not sure If I should just replace them or if there is a way to clean them up.
Old 02-28-2011, 02:14 PM
BANNED

Received 2,885 Likes on 1,784 Posts
people usually paint the calipers black, to match the front.

you mean the strip on the bottom of each window that runs the length of the window?
Old 03-02-2011, 06:55 AM
Intermediate

Not the windows, top of the car. There are rubber strips that run from front window to back window on both sides. These are dirty with what almost appears to be rust