New owner, several issues...been searching without much results.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2015, 10:10 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New owner, several issues...been searching without much results.

OK, new here, first post. yes I did some searching first and found some stuff on the nav. that I have no clue about, but would love to get rid of the OK button on start up.

Last weekend I bought an 04 TL, 6-speed. 130k miles.
I have no service history, so I figure timing belt water pump are probably over due. It doesn't look like it was well maintained. Someone just repainted the wheels silver to cover the thick coating of rust (looks like it was driven well past the brake pad life and all the crap was just coated to the inside of the wheel- instead of cleaning, they painted them on the car)
After the first fill-up, got a check engine light - evap code, I didn't write it down...dumb... but it was something about a valve stuck closed. I'll worry about that later.
Has a little rattle just ahead of the sunroof frame, I can just barely touch something with my finger tip through the sunroof frame opening.. Any ideas? how hard is the headliner to drop?
It has a bit of a rattle in the suspension, sounds like shock/mount in front. Considering aftermarket shocks, maybe lowering an inch. It's my daily driver, with my truck in case there is snow, so not going to slam it or anything. slightly tighter is fine, just don't want bone jarring stiff.
One of the wheels were bent, the others had rash, the tires are all different, so I already ordered wheels and tires.
I only have one key, and no remotes. Need at least one remote.
Headlights were hazy, buffed them out.
Oh yeah, and this thing has some pretty good torque steer. Both accel and decal, feels like the left side is moving around. Didn't notice the lower control arm bushing torn when I had it in the air, but I was in a hurry to get it in and out so I could get to work. Ball joints and tie rods felt tight, with just a quick check. So, I have been looking into changing the compliance bushing, maybe switch to poly. Does that help with the torque steer? I would think it would.
Well, that's all I can think of for now. Crap, that a lot.
Any help with what I'm getting myself into is appreciated. I've been searching so much, I've been getting lost in all of it.
Old 12-16-2015, 10:15 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One more thing, the small LED display for time/hvac temp/radio station only lights up enough to read if I tap on the dash, then goes out again. Should I pull it out and try to find a loose connection or just find a replacement? How far do I have to pull the dash apart to get it out?
I have a guy that can probably fix it, but he's always slammed with work, and it's hard to get him to get to my stuff