New Intermittent High Pitched Pulsating Whistle Sound

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2007, 10:48 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Received 561 Likes on 393 Posts
Question New Intermittent High Pitched Pulsating Whistle Sound

Starting recently, I'm getting a random high pitch pulsating whistle sound crusing down the highway that comes and goes. It'll start and last for 2 seconds, 5 seconds, 10 seconds, etc. Sometimes I'll even get it on an exit ramp.

Another way to describe it would be a cross between a whistle and a squeak.... that pulsates.

Crazy, huh?
Anyone?
Old 02-19-2007, 09:48 PM
Registered but harmless

Received 1,149 Likes on 775 Posts
1) Where does the sound seem to originate- front, back, one side side, underneath??
2) Are you on or off throttle/gas, or is there any discernible pattern, when the sound occurs?
Maybe the heat shield loosened up (or again, if you had that fixed before) and needs to be tightened.
Other possibility: engine air filter box is not sealed properly.
Old 02-19-2007, 09:54 PM
05 TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My A/C Blower makes noise... Kinda like a CD / DVD in a player that is just spinning...

Sound comes from the dash..
Old 02-19-2007, 10:35 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by Will Y.
1) Where does the sound seem to originate- front, back, one side side, underneath??
2) Are you on or off throttle/gas, or is there any discernible pattern, when the sound occurs?
Maybe the heat shield loosened up (or again, if you had that fixed before) and needs to be tightened.
Other possibility: engine air filter box is not sealed properly.
1. Front
2. Just cruising down the highway at a constant speed.

I'll check air filter box tomorrow and I have an appointment to bring it in to Acura of Manhattan on Wednesday.

thanks ...........
Old 02-21-2007, 01:11 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've heard something similar driving on a freeway last weekend. I was cruising constantly at 80mph, and heard like a radio static sound from the front dash. I turned off the DVD-audio, turned off AC, made sure all windows are rolled up, and even disconnected my radar detector, and can still here it come and go. But it has a repeating pattern just like a radio static, and it wasn't the heatshield problem that everyone else described (because I had it fixed, and i know what it sounds like). It went away after like 20 mins, and haven't heard it since then. If you found out what it is at the dealer, please me know, I am interested in seeing what the problem is.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:31 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Just got the call from Acura of Manhattan.

They claim that the noise is the wear sensor on the brakes, in this case, the front left. I responded, "Even though I'm touching the brake pedal when it happens?"

They want $415 just to do the front pads (remember, we're talking 6MT/Brembos here) and resurface the rotors. I can call them back later with my answer. I'd really prefer to replace the pads with ones that don't dust so much.
Old 02-22-2007, 02:37 PM
Registered but harmless

Originally Posted by DMZ
Just got the call from Acura of Manhattan.

They claim that the noise is the wear sensor on the brakes, in this case, the front left. I responded, "Even though I'm touching the brake pedal when it happens?"
That makes sense-- the wear sensor is a little metal tab on the pad that scrapes the rotor and causes noise once the pad is worn down to a certain amount. The noise is initially low and will start to occur on light braking, but cease with more pressure on the brake pedal.
$415 seems pricey; you'd probably save $100 at an independent mechanic.
Some other posters mentioned Rotex pads for the Brembos (I think MichaelBenz had a thread on different replacement pads), and most other pads for the Brembos were less expensive and left much less residue.
Old 02-22-2007, 03:47 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

Originally Posted by Will Y.
That makes sense-- the wear sensor is a little metal tab on the pad that scrapes the rotor and causes noise once the pad is worn down to a certain amount. The noise is initially low and will start to occur on light braking, but cease with more pressure on the brake pedal.
$415 seems pricey; you'd probably save $100 at an independent mechanic.
Some other posters mentioned Rotex pads for the Brembos (I think MichaelBenz had a thread on different replacement pads), and most other pads for the Brembos were less expensive and left much less residue.
The noise occurs without touching the brake pedal.

And you're right, I am finding out I can save about $100 by going to an independent mechanic.
Old 02-23-2007, 09:28 AM
DMZ
Head a da Family

There's one thing the dealers have that most of the independent repair shops don't, and that's the rotor resurfacing machine that does them on the car so that their new surface is perfectly aligned with the car's wheel hub and suspension. Experience with my previous Hondas showed the pads to last the longest with best resistance to vibration using this way of resurfacing.
Old 02-24-2007, 02:40 PM
DMZ
Head a da Family

No more noise, new front brakes are great. I've never heard of brake pad wear sensors sounding off while NOT touching the brake pedal.

I called around, Curry quoted $475, Acura of Ramsey quoted $425, and both said they'd match Manhattan's price.

Acura of Manhattan wound up giving me a 10% discount on the $415.

All is well ............
Old 02-24-2007, 06:43 PM
Registered but harmless

Originally Posted by DMZ
I've never heard of brake pad wear sensors sounding off while NOT touching the brake pedal.
I haven't heard of it either! The caliper-rotor relationship must have closer tolerances than I've ever encountered.
Glad everything that you got a discount and all went well-- driving out and looking for another place to save $100 or less would probably not have been a cost effective use of time.