Need your help! Electrical Problems 08 TL-S

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 10:28 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need your help! Electrical Problems 08 TL-S

Hello to all,
I posted before about this problem and it has been fixed by the dealer but I'm concerned about what to do now. I have an 08 TL Type-S with 15k about 9 months old, no problems with it.

Here is the problem:
After a couple days of rain, the car alarm starts going off, answering my cell in the car using the HandsFree causes the doors to lock and unlock, the VSA, Check Engine, ABS alarms all go on, and the key FOB doesn't work anymore. The first time this happened, the dealership discovered that the fuse box was fried. They replaced it, but could not figure out why it happened. Naturally, I was suspicious of a leak, but they could not find the source.

Fast forward 6 weeks, another rain, same problem. After a lot of diligent work on the dealership's part, the leak and its source are found. A missing piece of body seam up near the driver's side A column (a factory problem). It requires removing the fender, welding, seam replacement, etc, etc. They say it is FIXED and I believe them. So here is my issue.

Since this started I have had other small problems, mostly due to the attempted repairs. My latest problems are the driver mirror needs to be replaced, it is damaged from all of the water that flooded onto the car while attempting to find the leak. Also, the passenger side air bag indicator is going out when I have a child in the front passenger seat. I have already made arrangements to take the car back in again.

Is Acura a car worth all of this trouble? I have been without my car for over a month. Historically in your experiences should I surrender and turn this car in? Your opinions are welcome.

Thanks for reading.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:16 AM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
You had bad luck with the leak; I really haven't heard of many assembly problems (other than rattles, which IMHO, are really design problems, not factory install problems).

So, if the leak is indeed fixed and whatever subsequent problems fixed too, you should be in pretty good shape. IOW - once the damage associated with the water is taken care of, you should only have "normal" problems (rattles, leather care, etc).

The air bag is *supposed* to de-activate when a small adult or child is in the front passenger seat. This protects them from injury caused by the force of the airbag. If this is what is happening, then it is normal and part of the safety design (all modern cars do this).

FWIW - *all* cars have problems. Go to any message board - Corvette, BMW, Audi, Infiniti, Chevy, Ford, whatever - they *all* have "normal" problems.
Old 01-06-2009, 01:20 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
it sounds like your only problem is the drivers side mirror which can easily be repaired.

keep it. in the end you will enjoy the car.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:40 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,843 Likes on 8,574 Posts
Sounds like you got a lemon. If after the repairs are done and you don't notice anymore problems I would definitely keep it. If something else major comes along.. get a replacement from the dealership.

No one is expected to have their brand new car in for so many issues but it definitely sounds like your problems are atypical. Not too many TL owners are dissatisfied. Give it some time after you get it back to make your next move.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:27 PM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for input, I'm going to give it a few weeks after the mirror is replaced and see if this car decides it likes me or not.

On the airbag, what is happening my son (80lbs) sits in the front passenger seat and the AirBag OFF indicator is lit, which is the expected behaviour. HOWEVER, sometimes he gets in and the indicator is lit and sometimes it is not lit. Sometimes it is lit when I start driving and goes out after a few minutes. If I was in an accident I do not want the airbag taking his head off. Has anyone seen or had experience with this?

Thanks again.
Old 01-07-2009, 04:23 PM
AZ Community Team

Received 7,771 Likes on 4,342 Posts
Originally Posted by 1SLVRType-S
Thanks for input, I'm going to give it a few weeks after the mirror is replaced and see if this car decides it likes me or not.

On the airbag, what is happening my son (80lbs) sits in the front passenger seat and the AirBag OFF indicator is lit, which is the expected behaviour. HOWEVER, sometimes he gets in and the indicator is lit and sometimes it is not lit. Sometimes it is lit when I start driving and goes out after a few minutes. If I was in an accident I do not want the airbag taking his head off. Has anyone seen or had experience with this?

Thanks again.
I've read about it. Seat sensor of some sort maybe. Try the SEARCH function for threads.