Need serious input

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 06:35 AM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Need serious input

I am having some issue with my car and I think it is the ECU but I would like some input from you guys.

The car:
2007 TL Type-S Automatic
No performance modifications except for a drop in filter.

What the car has been doing:
I have started to notice over the past few months that when the car is started or when i am driving and come to a stop or the rpm's come down to the normal idle rpm's that they will dip down and make the engine bog a little bit and then bouce back up. Its a few hundred rpm's but i dont know exactly how many.

Next. Sometime when I stomp it it is not selecting the best gear or when it does pick the appropriate gear it is just straight up slow like it is running too rich or lean and sounds like there is strain on the engine. Then sometimes it throws me back in my seat which is why I don't think that's right because I feel like it should do that every time.

When coming down from accelerating quickly it seems to shift up one gear at a time from fornexample 3rd to 5th it will go 3 4 5 instead of just jumping straight to 5th. My friend drove it who knows more about cars than I do and said that was weird or felt weird.

Fuel consumption is around 26-30 highway driving around 60.

It seems that these point back to the ECU not functioning correctly and not making the best decisions for the car or it is missintereperating the information from the car.

I have not had the ECU reflashed or looked at yet.
If it is the ECU will a Hondata ECU do the trick?

Any other suggestions, ideas, or input besides getting the ECU looked at?

Thank you. And sorry if there are spelling errors I'm on my phone at work.
Old 05-01-2013, 03:23 PM
Here I come!

Received 62 Likes on 41 Posts
Why would you think it's the PCM? Is your car throwing any codes? Have you done a tune up lately? Cleaned the intake lately? Do you always use premium fuel(93)? How many miles on the car?

Can you please clarify on this....
When coming down from accelerating quickly it seems to shift up one gear at a time from fornexample 3rd to 5th it will go 3 4 5 instead of just jumping straight to 5th. My friend drove it who knows more about cars than I do and said that was weird or felt weird.
I'm confused...I don't know any automatics that shift from 3rd to 5th...
Old 05-01-2013, 07:26 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
This doesnt seem to be a ECU problem as ive had this happen to my car and all it need was some valve timing adjustments and tranny fluid change, just some major maintenance stuff, how many miles does your car have?

Same as him^ my car has always just gone 3rd from accelerating then quick shift to 4th and then settle at 5 haha ive never seen her go 3rd to 5th but with a perfectly running car the gear change is almost unnoticeable so im thinking its just maintenence.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:48 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts
Vacuum leak... and if not then possibly a loose connection on the battery terminal positive or negative. Had the same problem and had a leak and loose connection. No more problems like you describe.
Old 05-04-2013, 10:12 PM
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BukvaMan
Vacuum leak... and if not then possibly a loose connection on the battery terminal positive or negative. Had the same problem and had a leak and loose connection. No more problems like you describe.
I know where the vacuum line on top is. Is there any other that may be leaking? Just so I can cover all of the bases
Old 05-06-2013, 07:23 AM
MMkay.

Received 188 Likes on 154 Posts
Is your A/C on...? When the clutch kicks on, the RPMs will dip a little but should bounce back up.