Need help plz

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 11:49 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Need help plz

Just bought acura TL 2005 (not type S) i hear some noise coming from my catalytic or somewhere under the engine when i shift gears took off top protector from catalytic still makes same sound can anyone help me plz
Old 05-17-2011, 11:51 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,016 Likes on 1,435 Posts
do you have a 6spd manual TL? We need a bit more info like if it's a metallic sound or a what the noise even is! How many miles are on the car?
Old 05-17-2011, 11:52 PM
Intermediate

ya its 6 speed manual 2005 and yes it sounds something metallic
Old 05-17-2011, 11:53 PM
Intermediate

70k miles
Old 05-17-2011, 11:54 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Sashka
70k miles
im sorry its my first time on forums
Old 05-18-2011, 12:02 AM
Senior Moderator

im sorry its my first time on forums
no problem at all! So it's a metallic sound; is it like a quick clang noise only when you shift or do you hear it all the time? Try having the car in gear and suddenly stomp on the gas (don't touch the clutch or shift knob) do you still hear it?

It could be a few things. First of all it could be one of the catalyst's heat shields being loose and thus causing the noise. Acura had a TSB on this issue. Check out the TSB section in the 3G Service Dept. (main 3G TL forum, it's stickied at the top of all the topics)

Also you might want to have your motor mounts checked out. With bad motor mounts this problem can occur as well.

besides that metallic noise, have you had any other issues like a odd vibrations while driving or the engine being rough?
Old 05-18-2011, 12:13 AM
Intermediate

well i asked the mechanic to remove one shield on catalytic that was a little loose and nothing changed and yes when i give like past 3.5 rpm i hear that metallic sound...
the motor mounts was replaced there's a vibrations sometimes while i stop on red light or when the engine is still cold
and i have one more question like i have type S rims and was wondering do i have to change suspension cz some ppl say yes some ppl say no and i get confused lol =)
Old 05-18-2011, 12:16 AM
Intermediate

btw u right i might have a problem with TSB
Old 05-18-2011, 01:54 AM
Senior Moderator

well i asked the mechanic to remove one shield on catalytic that was a little loose and nothing changed and yes when i give like past 3.5 rpm i hear that metallic sound...
the motor mounts was replaced there's a vibrations sometimes while i stop on red light or when the engine is still cold
and i have one more question like i have type S rims and was wondering do i have to change suspension cz some ppl say yes some ppl say no and i get confused lol =)
removing the shield will cause other problems and the rattle may continue as it's the inner shield that was causing the problem in the TSB.

If your still having vibrations at a redlight then something isn't right with the motor mounts. Have the mechanic neutralize them and check them again to insure that he installed them properly.

When the engine is cold, a bit of vibration is normal since the car intentionally runs rough to warm up faster.

Just because you have the type-S wheels does not mean that you HAVE to change the suspension If you want to lower the car there are a variety of ways to go about lowering it such as new springs or coilovers. Some are really good, others are really bad. Do some research on it here in the suspension section and you'll see which are good.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:30 AM
Intermediate

thank you
Old 05-18-2011, 11:45 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buzzing noise?....

So I just purchased an 08 TL Type S with 44,000 miles Automatic, Car rides clean as hell but Im noticing what sounds like a buzzing noise coming from the engine/ dashboard passenger side. Low rpm say between 1500 and 2000 rpms. Weird as hell just traded in my IS300 and was quite as can be. Im new to this Site, this being my first post wondering if anyone knows about this issue and is there a simple fix or is just resonance? Thanx.......