Changing coolant

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 03:13 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing coolant

When should i flush & fill cooling system. My '04 tl is approaching the 5 year point on original fluid. I only have 17,000 miles on the car.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:36 PM
Pro

only 17k miles in almost 5 years? damnnnn
Old 02-05-2009, 08:08 AM
Man of God.....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

What does "The Book" say? The manual...
I wouldn't have waited so long! Also, I would use a top grade anti-freeze. I used "The Best" AMSOIL!! It's a new product for them, so it must be "The Best! Right?
I would compare the different ones out there. It is important.

I also used Redline's Water Wetter. It give more heat transfer by making better contact with the surface of the metal. Do some research!

Remember search is your friend!
Old 02-05-2009, 09:49 AM
Safety Car

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
its like 10 year/100k mile coolant....check the service schedual in the back of your owners manual....have it tested or buy one and check to see that it is still in range, but i wouldnt mess with it....

now on the other hand, you may consider changing your transmission and brake fluid.....
Old 02-05-2009, 11:53 AM
2009 g37s 6mt

If it doesnt smell burnt and is green in color your okay, if its brown, def change it.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:00 AM
Intermediate

Thanks. My tl is a 6 speed. Should i consider changing the gear oil. The shifting is flawless. I did replace brake fluid after 3 years. On another subject, i noticed that you have a type s. Have you test driven the new tl & i was wondering how they compare. Thanks again.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:26 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
change the brake fluid every year starting at year 3 per the book (thats the start of year 3)- its critical! then every year afterwards forever- your calipers, master cylinder and abs controller will thank you

Wont hurt to change M/T fluid every year or 2 depending on miles, and if driven thru large water puddles in rainstorms- water gets in the overflow vent and kills the fluid- change it now!

Coolant is not `color based` on abilty to function
If its BROWN you have a blown head gasket!!!!
5 years is what coolant is designed to last, look in the owner book and the product label.
The special additives break down and the coolant goes acidic PH in an aluminum environment~ bad news
A 2-3$ tester from parts store will tell you the exact condition of the coolant- its cooling capacity and antifreeze protection

You dont NEED Redline water wetter in a TL- the thing already runs perfect just below halfway.
If you were not runnig any coolant-using water only (as in race car) then water wetter is the stuff~ but our car likes to run the temp it does, dont lower it

See owner book for coolant change DIY, its easy to change the coolant, make sure you do the engine block drain too, get it all out of the engine and radiator so you start fresh.
Use honda 50/50 premix fluid or a name brand that states `approved for acura` on its label.
that 50-50 coolant/distilled water mix is important and will provide freeze protection for all but far north canuks,,, who run it stronger in winter
Old 02-06-2009, 03:13 PM
Man of God.....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
You dont NEED Redline water wetter in a TL- the thing already runs perfect just below halfway.
If you were not runnig any coolant-using water only (as in race car) then water wetter is the stuff~ but our car likes to run the temp it does, dont lower it
Water wetter will not lower the temp of the motor. But it will increase efficiency. Therefore your fan runs less, etc. Its only making a good cooling system better. But it wont change the temp.
Old 02-06-2009, 05:20 PM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
lower coefficient of drag of water thru the aluminum??

I just know at the track all the bikes run it because they are not allowed coolant and it does have some properties-- that when used alone with water- its better with high temp control than 50/50 or 50/50 with wetter..there is a chart about it.
I am not suggesting anyone run water and wetter only- not on the street
Old 04-22-2009, 04:31 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 66 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by 01tl4tl
See owner book for coolant change DIY, its easy to change the coolant, make sure you do the engine block drain too, get it all out of the engine and radiator so you start fresh.
Use honda 50/50 premix fluid or a name brand that states `approved for acura` on its label.
that 50-50 coolant/distilled water mix is important and will provide freeze protection for all but far north canuks,,, who run it stronger in winter
Easy to say! Have you tried getting to the block drain bolt? I gave up and took it to the dealer. THEY didn't even know where to look for it. When I showed them where it was, they said they couldn't get at from under and would have go in from the top, removing all my engine covers and the strut brace.

I declined.

They said all they do is change the radiator... one gallon. They then run the car up to operating temperature, drain again and add another gallon. They seem to think that's good enough.

However, I have already put Prestone in using this technique and would like to get it all out before adding the Honda coolant.

If, after I drain the radiator, I briefly run the car, do you think the water from the block will go to the radiator??

Or, I can keep flushing with water until the Prestone is nil. But, I will still be leaving the water in the block if I can't drain it.
Old 08-23-2009, 10:38 AM
1st Gear

01tl4tl-

My book does not describe how to 'burp' the system after I drain the radiator and block. Can you tell us (me) how to do it.
Thanks in advance.
Old 08-23-2009, 06:24 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by Xpditor
Easy to say! Have you tried getting to the block drain bolt? I gave up and took it to the dealer. THEY didn't even know where to look for it. When I showed them where it was, they said they couldn't get at from under and would have go in from the top, removing all my engine covers and the strut brace.

I declined.

They said all they do is change the radiator... one gallon. They then run the car up to operating temperature, drain again and add another gallon. They seem to think that's good enough.

However, I have already put Prestone in using this technique and would like to get it all out before adding the Honda coolant.

If, after I drain the radiator, I briefly run the car, do you think the water from the block will go to the radiator??

Or, I can keep flushing with water until the Prestone is nil. But, I will still be leaving the water in the block if I can't drain it.
.. 3x3 for Coolant?.. ..

to Sea Dog.. .search the garage.. I think Xpditor has his own thread on the topic as well.