Is My Tranny Shot?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2009, 06:54 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Exclamation Is My Tranny Shot?!

While i was on the highway today my ! light came on, VSA and the check engine light. I have an 04 TL auto

I noticed the car was sluggish and revving high so i threw it into ss I saw that it was in third gear but i could not make it upshift into 4th. I rode it out to get to my friends house, and when i had to stop at a light it downshifted into 2nd but would not go into 1st. I STRUGGLED to leave the light, upshifted into 3rd and again would not go into 4th.

I turned the car off, turned it back on, and it seemed to be in first but i only drove up the neighborhood street. the cel is still on though.

Do you think it is tranny? i cant imagine that it could be anything else...
Old 04-05-2009, 07:11 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
Is the D light blinking in the gauge cluster? If yes, you have some sort of transmission problem, it can be electrical or physical. You car is in LIMP mode, take it to acura and have them diagnose and check it out since it can be a number of things.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:06 PM
Advanced

lovely! lol

I was able to drive home over an hour with it. The tranny seemed to be okay - although it does need to be replaced - will have to bring that back up.

It still has a CEL on so i will have to see what code that is throwing tomorrow. ugh..i kinda wished it was the tranny and at the same time I dont... ohh well.. whatever it is.. it had me freaked out for sure being that I was over an hour away from home.

Would limp mode stop it from shifting higher than 4th gear and stopped it from going into 1st? i could see it driving slow, but it was just STRUGGLING to get going in 2nd gear. Once i turned is off and back on it seemed okay... weird.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:06 PM
Advanced

i didnt see a D light btw.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:13 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,004 Likes on 1,424 Posts
Originally Posted by NNatic
i didnt see a D light btw.
didn't see it blink or even on? Its in the RPM gauge with the rest of them, P R N D M L...

also limp mode can differ depending on the situation, sometimes it won't let you exceed 25MPH, sometimes it won't let you shift into certain gears, etc.
Old 04-05-2009, 09:44 PM
B A N N E D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wow, i just had the same exact problem with my 05 auto. seriously i was having the hardest time getting home from my friends house. I couldnt get to 4th gear either and when i would break at the lights, it almost felt like my car would stall. my check engine was on and i have to go in for service anyway so its at the dealership right now and i hope i doesnt kill my bank roll =/
Old 04-05-2009, 10:31 PM
MR1
05/5AT/Navi/ABP/Quartz

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts
How many miles on your cars, 1st owner, etc. ? Keep us posted and good luck.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:35 AM
Advanced

i am a 3rd owner and have 70,100 miles on her..

I will run the codes on the CEL this afternoon - I hope - so i know whether i should take it Acura or repair it on my own / at a more affordable shop.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:00 PM
Advanced

I took her up tp Autozone to run the codes and apparently it is P2138 which has to do with the app sensor.

On my way home the check engine went back off - weird. maybe it was a hiccup? Lets only hope. Just weird that it happened on the highway when i wasnt really doing anything at all... i was just merging onto another onramp - not accelerating very hard or anything.

Anyone with similiar experiences?
Old 04-07-2009, 04:15 PM
Chapter Leader (Southern Region)

Received 11,841 Likes on 8,573 Posts
Originally Posted by NNatic
I took her up tp Autozone to run the codes and apparently it is P2138 which has to do with the app sensor.

On my way home the check engine went back off - weird. maybe it was a hiccup? Lets only hope. Just weird that it happened on the highway when i wasnt really doing anything at all... i was just merging onto another onramp - not accelerating very hard or anything.

Anyone with similiar experiences?
You need a new APP sensor.. You're the 2nd to have this problem this week. You'll be fine once it's replaced.

related thread
https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10743950
Old 04-07-2009, 05:57 PM
A Black TL

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Y is this like the only car that does this crap? Limp mode wow.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by TL|GTX
Y is this like the only car that does this crap? Limp mode wow.
are you serious? all cars have built-in fail-safes.. modern cars are very sophisticated.. and ever so often sensors & electronic components will fail.. some say complex is bad and that simple is better.. I believe that is true in many respects but I also appreciate the need and advances of modern builds.
Old 04-08-2009, 06:29 AM
Advanced

well all symptoms and check engine light went away... lets hope that it was just a weird hiccup... we shall see.
Old 04-09-2009, 12:41 AM
There's alot of asian in

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
i have the same problem but it doesnt show any error code
Old 04-10-2009, 10:47 AM
JDM ... NOT !

I have a 08 TL S ... I posted in another thread how everytime I try to change gears it does the same thing and when I go from PARK to DRIVE oR REVERSE I hear REALLY loud clunking noises comming from underneath .. IS MY TRANNY SHOT ... I went to the dealership and they told me how my tranny warranty is void due to the drop and they have it put in there system and everything which really upsets me because its a brand new car... Anybody have any suggestions as to what I should do and if my Tranny is shot or not
Old 04-10-2009, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Gary TL S
I have a 08 TL S ... I posted in another thread how everytime I try to change gears it does the same thing and when I go from PARK to DRIVE oR REVERSE I hear REALLY loud clunking noises comming from underneath .. IS MY TRANNY SHOT ... I went to the dealership and they told me how my tranny warranty is void due to the drop and they have it put in there system and everything which really upsets me because its a brand new car... Anybody have any suggestions as to what I should do and if my Tranny is shot or not
Unless they can prove that you hit something which would have damaged the transmission they cannot void your warranty. If you did hit something and it did damage to your transmission you would file an incident report with your insurance.

If you hear clunking when you engage drive or reverse from Park that is more than likely your pawl bar and is not a big deal. Try to keep the emergency brake on before engaging gear. Then release the ebrake, this should help. You'll especially notice the pawl bar going clunk if you're on an incline / decline.. Try to keep the car parked on level ground. If you actually do have severe transmission problems / symptoms of failure.. then they have no right to deny your claim. Basically you need to be an asshole, get an independent inspection to clear fault based on suspension drop.. i don't know about laws & procedures in Canada but in the U.S. you can file a report to your local gov't consumer protection agency & BBB then file a complaint with the state attorney general.

Usually mediation will begin and if that doesn't resolve the issue to each parties satisfaction.. go to an atty and file a civil lawsuit.. claim downtime and grievances along with repair work.. tack in American Honda's name and the dealership will fold / settle. Whatever you do.. don't pay a dime.. It doesn't cost the dealership / service shop a thing other than labor to replace your transmission. Excess transmissions are made and covered under the transmission mfg's contract to American Honda.

So first thing.. is to study and load yourself with the legal procedures. Go down to the service shop and notify them that you're not going to pay a dime. Tell them you had it independently inspected and in no way is failure attributed to your drop. Then tell them you will complain to American Honda and the district Mgr.. then you are going to file a consumer complaint against the dealership and American Honda to the Canadian Office of Consumer Affairs. If they're still assholes.. tell them the next contact they'll have is with your attorney.

But again.. if your only problem is clunking when engaging gear from park.. it's nothing to worry about.. If it surges or has the same symptoms as the OP that's completely different. btw.. the sprint booster saturates the throttle curve early so if it feels sluggish as you push in the pedal past 2/3 it's just because you've already achieved WOT.
Old 04-10-2009, 11:30 AM
JDM ... NOT !

Originally Posted by Majofo
Unless they can prove that you hit something which would have damaged the transmission they cannot void your warranty. If you did hit something and it did damage to your transmission you would file an incident report with your insurance.

If you hear clunking when you engage drive or reverse from Park that is more than likely your pawl bar and is not a big deal. Try to keep the emergency brake on before engaging gear. Then release the ebrake, this should help. You'll especially notice the pawl bar going clunk if you're on an incline / decline.. Try to keep the car parked on level ground. If you actually do have severe transmission problems / symptoms of failure.. then they have no right to deny your claim. Basically you need to be an asshole, get an independent inspection to clear fault based on suspension drop.. i don't know about laws & procedures in Canada but in the U.S. you can file a report to your local gov't consumer protection agency & BBB then file a complaint with the state attorney general.

Usually mediation will begin and if that doesn't resolve the issue to each parties satisfaction.. go to an atty and file a civil lawsuit.. claim downtime and grievances along with repair work.. tack in American Honda's name and the dealership will fold / settle. Whatever you do.. don't pay a dime.. It doesn't cost the dealership / service shop a thing other than labor to replace your transmission. Excess transmissions are made and covered under the transmission mfg's contract to American Honda.

So first thing.. is to study and load yourself with the legal procedures. Go down to the service shop and notify them that you're not going to pay a dime. Tell them you had it independently inspected and in no way is failure attributed to your drop. Then tell them you will complain to American Honda and the district Mgr.. then you are going to file a consumer complaint against the dealership and American Honda to the Canadian Office of Consumer Affairs. If they're still assholes.. tell them the next contact they'll have is with your attorney.

But again.. if your only problem is clunking when engaging gear from park.. it's nothing to worry about.. If it surges or has the same symptoms as the OP that's completely different. btw.. the sprint booster saturates the throttle curve early so if it feels sluggish as you push in the pedal past 2/3 it's just because you've already achieved WOT.

Dude thanks!! Your reply actually did help alot .
Old 04-22-2009, 09:09 PM
10th Gear

Any of the people that had this problem and fixed it can reply to me I would appreciate it? What was the fix? Was it the APP sensor that was suggested?

I just had this problem a couple weeks ago and they replaced my throttle body and it is still happening...
Old 04-22-2009, 10:13 PM
Mistuh DRiiVA

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I had this same problem on my SSM 05 TL back in february, mine was a sensor going bad that eventually let to the transmission completely dying out. I was driving one day and the car felt very sluggish and wouldnt come out of 3rd gear, suddenly the car just stopped moving and was reving really high, put it into SS mode to get the car to move enough till i got home. Started it back up and everything seemed fine, within 5 minutes, the transmission died completely on the highway. had it towed to acura using Acuras ROadside Assistance. They ended up changing the sensors and the transmission since both were damaged. I urge anyone who had problems like this to see the dealerhship immediatly, cuz if your on the highway and it happens to you like it did to me you risk getting into an accident. especially here in NY, everyone knows the highways here. and just FYI my car only had 35,000 miles on it when the tranny died and it was only used for long trips mostly in auto.
Old 04-22-2009, 10:44 PM
Pro

check the cheap stuff first. most likely a sensor.
Old 04-23-2009, 06:45 AM
Burning Brakes

wow cuz of a drop they said they voided your warranty what birds are workin over there, too bad you dont like in NY my dealership knows about my mods and they dont care..