AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   3G TL Problems & Fixes (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/)
-   -   My driver side door lock will not lock or unlock (https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/my-driver-side-door-lock-will-not-lock-unlock-754050/)

deepblue626 11-29-2009 05:27 AM

My driver side door lock will not lock or unlock

My driver side door lock will not lock or unlock with either the keyless remote or the lock button inside. All the others lock and unlock no problem, just the driver side won't. Any ideas on what could be making it stick?

JnC 11-29-2009 09:31 AM

It could be loose connection to the door lock actuator or worse you could have the motor inside the actuator gone bad.

part number 16 in the following illustration

http://oemacuraparts.com/schematics/4/4817460.gif

http://oemacuraparts.com/partlocator...layCatalogid=0

Again, you wouldnt know for sure until you take the panel off and check for yourself.

JnC 11-29-2009 09:37 AM

By the way, you didnt mention it in your initial post but if you can lock and unlock with the key then all the linkage is fine and would be one more reason for me to suggest something wrong with the actuator.

Bender 11-29-2009 11:01 AM

Mine went bad as well. I just use my hand and key to lock and unlock. Pulling apart the door is a huge pain and manually locking it still triggers the alarm.

deepblue626 11-29-2009 12:14 PM

yes, i can still ock and unlock with the key.

JnC 11-29-2009 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by deepblue626 (Post 11527761)
yes, i can still ock and unlock with the key.

Neat, just replace the actuator then, it shouldnt be that hard if you know your way around a few basic tools.

deepblue626 11-29-2009 12:48 PM

just token the panel off and checked. looks like the lock is trying to lock but it is not lucking or unlocking.

deepblue626 11-29-2009 12:57 PM

i'm sure it should not be the loose connection to the door lock. so does that mean it is the actuator?

JnC 11-29-2009 02:02 PM

If the actuator is making some sort of noise but is not clicking/unclicking then it means that the motor inside the actuator is fine but the gear mechanism inside the actuator may be damaged.

See if you can disassemble the actuator and rectify the problem. Even if you can't fix it you can always get a replacement actuator.

I still cant believe how cheap the actuator is, $18 or so. My Lexus GS300 is known for having its lock actuators go bad but the replacement ones are $270 a piece :what: Luckily you can cut open the actuator and replace the motor inside with a replacement motor made for RC cars, motors go for $10 a piece on ebay.

deepblue626 11-30-2009 03:19 PM

now, the lock works but i need to wait for some time for lock after i unlock the car.

deepblue626 01-09-2010 05:47 PM

the lock was working for few weeks until now it is not work. why sometime it works sometime it does not work?

tupacboy 02-22-2010 07:26 PM

same problem is happening to me today... how did u fix it?

dbqtown 02-22-2010 08:55 PM

I don't know if you live in a cold climate but i have that same problem but only in the winter when its really cold.

One morning going to start the car before work i noticed my front passenger door did not unlock. So i assumed the actuator went bad, I even called acura to price out a new actuator for me.

After sitting in the sun and warming up at work when i left is was working again. And it has happened more than once but when its not to cold it works fine.

I dont know if moisture is getting in somewhere and freezing something up but thats what it sounds like and for some reason when i lock the car and all the locks work the one that gets frozen makes a slight whining noise when it locks.

Bender 02-22-2010 09:09 PM

Just program it to not auto lock and use your key until you replace it.

zeezz 02-27-2010 04:29 AM

you can buy this actuator part from a honda dealership. it will be slightly cheaper. replacement is not TOO hard if you have been tearing apart your car, but its going to be much cheaper than going to a shop. BE CAREFUL not to strip the three big screws/bolts holding in the strike area of the assembly.. on the door. you'll know what i mean. trust me, lesson learned...

RyanCHICL 02-28-2010 10:45 PM

Is there any first signs of the actuator going bad? I ask because my door looks are working but they sound kind of "sloppy" lately.

pohljm 02-28-2010 11:25 PM

Maybe some spray electronics contact cleaner into the actuator may help things?

hofiveo 03-01-2010 10:29 PM

The driver door may have a few more connectors to disconnect from backside of door panel, but it should still be pretty easy. You can buy a trim removal tool from Napa, Autozone, it looks like a screwdriver handle with a fork styly end that has a slight bend near the end.

https://acurazine.com/forums/3g-tl-problems-fixes-114/f-179-diy-pass-door-lock-actuator-replacement-w-pics-764241/

sifuacura 03-05-2010 09:53 PM

this happened to me today too..really bad..maybe its a sign of the 3rd gen TL wear and tear?

moukie4401 03-06-2010 11:48 PM

My passenger door lock does it also. But it is always associated with rain or carwash...not cold.

flouie 03-12-2010 09:04 PM

My actuator went out and I'm trying to remove it but can't.
Is there something locking the 3 big screws that hold the whole assembly to the door? I can not get those big screws to even budge a little it feels like there were wielded to the door. I actually broke the handle off my big screwdriver trying to remove these.

rcp 03-18-2010 05:10 PM

just need to put more muscle into it.

mchester 05-09-2010 07:28 PM

It helps a lot to use an impact driver and a hammer. Seems extreme, but it works and won't mess up the machine screw heads. Torquing these when tightening is CRITICAL to your safety in the event of a crash as well. Make sure you do it right.

Bender 05-09-2010 08:27 PM

Use a ratchet with a breaker bar.

mchester 05-09-2010 09:08 PM

They are phillips head machine screws. Most folks won't have a ratchet bit that would fit well enough to loosen these. They are quite tight for phillips heads, 20 ft/lb I think, and need to be torqued equally tight when reinstalled. An impact driver is about $12 at Harbor Freight. Use the proper tool or you will be sorry. You apparently don't know what fasteners I am talking about or you would not make such an odd suggestion. The impact driver transfers the force properly to the fastener so that it won't strip. Using anything else will very likely strip the fastener and then things get expensive. Ummmm'k?

Bender 05-11-2010 11:06 AM

First of all, if you would have explained in detail the first time your reasoning behind your methods people wouldn't have still been scratching their heads. Second tell me how screws for the door actuator is critical to our safety.

By the way, you need a compressor to power the impact tool so you may as well go rent it if you even need to.

mchester 05-11-2010 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bender (Post 12005329)
First of all, if you would have explained in detail the first time your reasoning behind your methods people wouldn't have still been scratching their heads. Second tell me how screws for the door actuator is critical to our safety.

By the way, you need a compressor to power the impact tool so you may as well go rent it if you even need to.

You are more ignorant than I first thought. I think the only person scratching their head is you, because you have no idea what is being discussed.

1st, you are thinking of an air powered impact gun/wrench. That is NOT what I said or meant. An impact driver is a hand tool that is struck with a hammer and tranfers that power into a sharp twisting motion. It is made specifically for uses just like this and it requires only a hammer and some common sense to use correctly. I'm sure most folks have this covered.

The reason torquing these 3 machine screws is critical, is becasue the door latch mechanism is held to the door by these same screws. If they come loose, the door could fly open without warning. That could be BAD. The actuator is attached to this assembly and is much more easily accessed once removed from the door. If you had ANY clue what was being discussed, you'd know this.

You read part of the post and thought "I've got all the answers", so you posted a half assed response that is totally wrong and can actually be dangerous. Think about the ramifications of your posts before you make them. YOU could help get someone hurt or even KILLED. :thumbsup:

Bender 05-11-2010 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by mchester (Post 12005741)
You are more ignorant than I first thought. I think the only person scratching their head is you, because you have no idea what is being discussed.

1st, you are thinking of an air powered impact gun/wrench. That is NOT what I said or meant. An impact driver is a hand tool that is struck with a hammer and tranfers that power into a sharp twisting motion. It is made specifically for uses just like this and it requires only a hammer and some common sense to use correctly. I'm sure most folks have this covered.

The reason torquing these 3 machine screws is critical, is becasue the door latch mechanism is held to the door by these same screws. If they come loose, the door could fly open without warning. That could be BAD. The actuator is attached to this assembly and is much more easily accessed once removed from the door. If you had ANY clue what was being discussed, you'd know this.

You read part of the post and thought "I've got all the answers", so you posted a half assed response that is totally wrong and can actually be dangerous. Think about the ramifications of your posts before you make them. YOU could help get someone hurt or even KILLED. :thumbsup:

Finally, we shed some light about the exact procedure he is talking about. There is no need to be vague then act like an ass when someone questions you. Just explain it right the first time.

Burnricers 05-11-2010 08:06 PM

My passenger side actuator just went out the other day, warranty work = win!

mchester 05-12-2010 06:02 AM

Bender, if you notice, nobody that actually has the issue and knows what was being discussed was actually confused. It was just you... Sorry I was so rude, but folks that offer poor advice annoy me. If I could have edited the post, I would have, but it did not allow me to do so.

Bender 05-12-2010 08:16 AM

Just curious, has anyone died because they improperly installed their door actuator?

ggesq 05-12-2010 10:03 AM

Gentlemen, enough.

Royik1157 06-15-2011 08:38 AM

This happened to me yesterday. It was during a downpour and I had to drive over a massive puddle. And I'm slammed so I'm not sure if water went into the door or its just the actulator that went bad

nwacurauser 01-11-2013 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by dbqtown (Post 11766227)
I don't know if you live in a cold climate but i have that same problem but only in the winter when its really cold.

One morning going to start the car before work i noticed my front passenger door did not unlock. So i assumed the actuator went bad, I even called acura to price out a new actuator for me.

After sitting in the sun and warming up at work when i left is was working again. And it has happened more than once but when its not to cold it works fine.

I dont know if moisture is getting in somewhere and freezing something up but thats what it sounds like and for some reason when i lock the car and all the locks work the one that gets frozen makes a slight whining noise when it locks.

I am facing a similar issue - I have a two month old acura which I park in a sheleterd parking. On days with sub-zero temperatures my front passenger side door gets locked. It does not happen to any other doors - just one of the doors. We need to wait for atleast 5-10 mins drive around and then it gets unlocked - but it is very inconvenient . We took the model to the service station - the first time they sent us back saying it was probably cold, the second time they took the vehicle in and reportedly changed the actuator, but it happened again. I have never faced this issue with any of my older cars - Not expected out of the acura brand :( Any suggestions on what can be done ?

DeathMetal 01-11-2013 06:56 PM

Guys, the switch is simply shot and has burnt out. There's no loose connection, no troubleshooting, it's simply DONE. All you need to do is purchase and replace a new one. The cost is about $24 from Tim, a sponsor and OEM dealer on this site. You're overthinking/spending too much time troubleshooting. $24 will rid you of your woes.

dario18 01-12-2013 05:57 PM

My front passenger door makes a weird rattle noise every time i lock/unlock it. Is it the actuator gone bad? That's what the dealer told me, he wants $50 to order it and $200 for labor. I'll just buy it online if it is

DeathMetal 01-12-2013 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by dario18 (Post 14258859)
My front passenger door makes a weird rattle noise every time i lock/unlock it. Is it the actuator gone bad? That's what the dealer told me, he wants $50 to order it and $200 for labor. I'll just buy it online if it is

I'd pop the door panel off first to see if anything has come loose. It's only 4 screws. :thumbsup:

patpur 02-13-2015 03:52 PM

Here's what I did. Went out the other day and the driver door lock wouldn't operate with the key fob. I have a 2005 tsx I bought for a daily driver. I yanked the button up an down for about a minute then soaked the lock mechanism with Power Lube. No more problem. Hopefully I wont have to replace the actuator.

Turbonut 02-13-2015 04:24 PM

5 1/2 year old thread, but replacement of the actuator isn't much of a job, just a little time consuming. Did ours last August.
Purchased from Acura on line, but they have one on ebay $10.29 free shipping. How good is it??????????

Natalie2789 10-15-2016 10:54 PM

My passenger window is messed up not sure exactly why but right now it has viscrips

It used to work fine n now it don't work at all the passenger window is being held shut with viscrips n can't roll down or up