Is my clutch sticking? (new TL)

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 01:50 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is my clutch sticking? (new TL)

Hi! First post...

I just got a new TL 6spd and never owned a Acura/Honda and so maybe this is normal, I don't know.

I noticed yesterday that sometimes when I would push in the clutch and move it to neutral instead of the RPM's dropping straight back down to idle they would sometimes "hover" for a second or two....right around 2,000 RPM's is where I notice it.

Example: (this is when I notice it...)
Driving at say 40mph, stop sign coming up. Car is in whatever gear and revving to about 3k. Push in clutch and move shifter to neutral. I see RPM's drop normally from where they were and then stick at 2k for a second or two before falling all the way to idle.

Now because the engine and exhaust are so damn quiet I can't tell if it is actually revving like this or if it is the Tach itself that is the problem (even with the window down).

So...does anyone have any idea on this? Is it normal? Do I have a problem?

Thanks guys!

Tim
Old 03-22-2006, 02:01 PM
Advanced

I believe it's normal

Originally Posted by Tim Currie
Hi! First post...

I just got a new TL 6spd and never owned a Acura/Honda and so maybe this is normal, I don't know.

I noticed yesterday that sometimes when I would push in the clutch and move it to neutral instead of the RPM's dropping straight back down to idle they would sometimes "hover" for a second or two....right around 2,000 RPM's is where I notice it.

Example: (this is when I notice it...)
Driving at say 40mph, stop sign coming up. Car is in whatever gear and revving to about 3k. Push in clutch and move shifter to neutral. I see RPM's drop normally from where they were and then stick at 2k for a second or two before falling all the way to idle.

Now because the engine and exhaust are so damn quiet I can't tell if it is actually revving like this or if it is the Tach itself that is the problem (even with the window down).

So...does anyone have any idea on this? Is it normal? Do I have a problem?

Thanks guys!

Tim
I believe the computer adjusts RPMs to match what they should be in the next gear. Basically, for a few seconds, the computer assumes you are shifting sequentially.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:07 PM
Cruisin'

Oh nice! For better downshifting? Thats cool.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:10 PM
Advanced

I always thought that's what the car was doing, I knew it was for a good reason!
Old 03-22-2006, 02:19 PM
6speed NBP

its not for better downshifting.... its for the upshifts...
Old 03-22-2006, 02:24 PM
Advanced

Actually, it's for upshifting . That's why the RPMs drop a bit when you step on the clutch.

This feature is still somewhat helpful for downshifting too (since the RPMs don't plummet at soon as you step on the clutch), but in that case, you would still need to bring the RPMs a bit higher by giving the car some gas.
Old 03-22-2006, 02:26 PM
Advanced

Oops... EternaLlx beat me to it
Old 03-22-2006, 04:37 PM
Registered Member

Received 162 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by caha14
Actually, it's for upshifting . That's why the RPMs drop a bit when you step on the clutch.

This feature is still somewhat helpful for downshifting too (since the RPMs don't plummet at soon as you step on the clutch), but in that case, you would still need to bring the RPMs a bit higher by giving the car some gas.
Right. You want the engine to be turning at the same RPMs that it would be in the lower gear you are downshifting to when your clutch comes out.
Old 03-22-2006, 04:38 PM
Registered Member

Oops, forgot to add this.

Under no circumstances when downshifting, should you remove your foot from the throttle, shift into a lower gear, then start slowly releasing the clutch. THIS IS VERY BAD.. DO NOT DO THIS!
Old 03-22-2006, 04:57 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by SouthernBoy

Under no circumstances when downshifting, should you remove your foot from the throttle, shift into a lower gear, then start slowly releasing the clutch. THIS IS VERY BAD.. DO NOT DO THIS!
Never heard this...

How come? Can you explain?

Thanks.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:10 PM
Registered Member

Never heard this...

How come? Can you explain?

Thanks.
Sure. What you're doing is riding the clutch in higher gears. This will significantly shorten the life of the entire clutch assembly.

The reason you "Never heard this" is simply because most people do not know how to properly operate a manual transmission. This isn't your fault, my friend. You were just never taught the correct method.. that's all.

Basically what you want to do is match engine speed to wheel speed for the chosen gear when you engage the clutch on a downshift. This is commonly called rev-matching.

I'll send you a PM with some info.
Old 03-22-2006, 05:18 PM
Registered Member

If anyone else is interested in learning proper techniques, go to this link and read post #8.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...t=downshifting
Old 03-22-2006, 07:14 PM
www.seattlewhips.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If anyone else is interested in learning proper techniques, go to this link and read post #8.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...t=downshifting
haha, southernboy.. you're always chiming in on these shifting threads.

anyway, his Manual 101 thread above s really good.

basic point of downshifting is rev-match. press the clutch, blip the throttle to anticipated RPM of the lower gear, and then let off the clutch.

real life example

going 40mph... in 4th gear. i need to slow down... i brake lightly, foot off throttle, press in the clutch, blip throttle to 2700-3000 RPM as i shift into 3rd (as i pass the shifter thru the neutral gate) and then let of the clutch. (heel-toe is helpful here)The concept of rev-matching is to get the RPM up to where you think it will be after you've shifted to the lower gear. The car jerks very little if at all, if you've anticipated correctly, and the car slows. 2nd gear is a little tricky, so unless i have alot of lead space, i usually just brake. but thats the idea.

the ecu keeps it hanging a little to make for smoother upshifting, but that doesn't mean the ecu will rev-match for you when downshifting. it just keeps the RPM hanging a little to make it easier to rev-match.
Old 03-22-2006, 08:38 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by jennarocks
haha, southernboy.. you're always chiming in on these shifting threads.

anyway, his Manual 101 thread above s really good.

basic point of downshifting is rev-match. press the clutch, blip the throttle to anticipated RPM of the lower gear, and then let off the clutch.

real life example

going 40mph... in 4th gear. i need to slow down... i brake lightly, foot off throttle, press in the clutch, blip throttle to 2700-3000 RPM as i shift into 3rd (as i pass the shifter thru the neutral gate) and then let of the clutch. (heel-toe is helpful here)The concept of rev-matching is to get the RPM up to where you think it will be after you've shifted to the lower gear. The car jerks very little if at all, if you've anticipated correctly, and the car slows. 2nd gear is a little tricky, so unless i have alot of lead space, i usually just brake. but thats the idea.

the ecu keeps it hanging a little to make for smoother upshifting, but that doesn't mean the ecu will rev-match for you when downshifting. it just keeps the RPM hanging a little to make it easier to rev-match.
Just can't resist I guess. I find the TL to be one of the easiest cars I've ever owned to downshift smoothly and seemlessly.. as I describe. It just works.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:00 AM
www.seattlewhips.com

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just can't resist I guess. I find the TL to be one of the easiest cars I've ever owned to downshift smoothly and seemlessly.. as I describe. It just works.
i agree
Old 03-23-2006, 03:31 AM
Cruisin'

Why is this? Can you explain?

Thanks!