Is my car screwed? Flash flood in Columbia, SC

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2011, 12:19 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is my car screwed? Flash flood in Columbia, SC

So today I went to the grocery store and as it was raining hard but i didnt know places were flooded. As I was on my way back I drove through some areas with a lot of water but when I got to the downtown area I had to turn around on some streets because of too much water. I took a left (bad idea) and as soon as I did i drove into a large amount of water that was flowing against my car. my engine stalled and shut off, I tried to start it three times I think throughout the whole situation but it didnt work. The lights and radio turn on, no water came into the interior of the car. I was in the water for about 20 minutes I'd say and some nice people finally helped push me out. I haven't tried to start it since but I'm going to go back in the morning and see whats up. I checked the engine oil and its still normal and shows no signs of water (not milky or off color) and there seems to be no underbody damage. The water was about knee deep and my tires were about 1/3 submerged. I did however have two pretty big waves of water hit my car when I first got into the water. Is my car okay? I've read a lot of things online and they all say don't start it after it stalls etc but I figured i'd post anyway. When I lock my car it doesnt make the beep noise like it should. Just wanted some advice before I go check it out in the morning. I realize I should take it into a shop and get it checked but I wanna know if theres any other precautionary stuff I should do before I go and start it. Thanks in advance, I'm really worried about this. Luckily my car wasn't one of the many that were completely submerged in water, even some in our apartment parking lot got screwed so I'm lucky that didnt happen and that no water came into the car. My license plate cover did get ripped off and my license plate was also bent up completely. It was dark by the time we got out so Ill check for any other exterior damage in the morning. Thanks again.
Old 09-26-2011, 12:55 AM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 441 Posts
Check the air filter to see if it is wet. If you are lucky, it got wet and that is what stalled your car out. If you are unlucky, the water made it past that and into the engine.

Also possible that electrical stuff got wet and that is why there is no beeping.
Old 09-26-2011, 01:26 AM
Intermediate

Thanks for the help, Ill check it out in the morning its parked at a restaurant downtown for the night.
Old 09-26-2011, 11:22 AM
Intermediate

Tried to start it today, water came out the exhaust and I had to get it towed. Took it to a firestone and they removed the plugs and cranked the engine, water shot out. Got picked up by a friend and just got the call and they said its gonna be about $700 to get it running, the guy said there was a ton of water and they need to replace sensors, air filter, oil, and spark plugs. He didn't seem too confident about my car being good to go but he said about 75% chance that it would be up and running well and he said he wont know anything else until then. The sensors we had to order will be in on Wednesday. FML